Main Street Hub Reviews

154 reviews filtered by
3.8
Main Street Hub Co-Founder & Co-CEO Andrew Allison & Matt Stuart
Andrew Allison & Matt Stuart

Pros
  • You will also make a lot of money along the way (in 6 reviews)

• No matter what work is work, but at MSH they give you an opportunity to make a lot of money, if you can figure out the sale (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management claims to care about employees, but will fire them at the drop of a hat (in 9 reviews)

• Limited room for growth within the organization as they seem to love to promote externally (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Exciting and rewarding to work at Main Street Hub

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I personally came to Main Street Hub because of its mission - helping local businesses to be successful. I really like that reverence for local businesses is the first item on company's value statement, which is lived and breathed by all. Both founders are extremely smart, diligent, and thoughtful in their approach to everything. I have had my questions/concerns answered and followed up by founders personally in spite of their busy schedule. They made a point to take care of their employees.

Cons

The company is growing and changing very fast. The management team is thoughtful about scaling and bringing changes in an iterative manner. But I can see people who like to work in a box and need to know what exactly will happen in the next month and year with high degree of certainty will not feel comfortable here. On the contrary, if changes (for the better) give you energy, this would be the right place.

Advice to Management

Keep being thoughtful and diligent.... Pay even more attention to empowering your employees.

Main Street Hub Response

Jan 05, 2015co-CEO

Thanks very much for your thoughtful review and your kind words about us and the other members of the leadership team. We really appreciate it.

Thanks also for your focus on our customers. We
    ... More

Community Manager

Former Employee - Community Manager in Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Community Manager in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Main Street Hub full-time

Pros

Fast growing company in a fun industry.
    Lively culture.
    Responsive managers and executives.
    Limitless room for career development.
    Work/Life Balance is great if you work hard during 9-5.
    Great location in a great city.

Cons

Entry level and some mid level positions are paid around or below industry average, as these workers are somewhat interchangeable given the business model. Those who want to move up in the department or across departments will be given opportunity, however, if they earn it.

Lots of non work related drama amongst entry level staff.

Loyal to staff to a fault. Some employees consistently drag team down by producing poor work or causing interpersonal drama or crying every day and it takes forever for them to be fired.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to weed out employees who kill morale with their attitude. Some people complain all day long until they've convinced everyone else on their team that they're unhappy too. You've built a great company that's created hundreds of great jobs, you owe it to yourselves to only give those jobs to people who appreciate them and work hard to keep them.

3. Fast-paced environment with ample opportunity for self-motivated people

Current Employee - Community Manager in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Community Manager in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Ample opportunity for personal and professional growth
    -Freedom to design your own workflow and work at your own pace
    -A group of talented, creative, and driven co-workers who will always challenge you
    -Young, friendly atmosphere that's very social and welcoming
    -Freedom in your work to grow and explore creatively

Cons

-Heavy workload that's not suited for people who aren't disciplined, organized, and self-motivated
    -Culture suited for social people - if you don't like working and collaborating with others, you might not enjoy yourself here
    -High level of personal accountability for the work you produce
    -Not an incredibly lucrative career, so if money's your motivation, you might not enjoy the content side of this company

Advice to Management

Continue to convince those who are less vocal to speak up and offer feedback as to how they can feel comfortable and empowered in their work.

Great Place to work for

I have been working at Main Street Hub

Pros

Management was awesome, definitely looked forward to working there

Cons

Growth limited, really fast work pace

6. A medium-sized start up with a lot to offer

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I used to work at a large software company in the area and Main Street Hub is everything they weren't -- process light, fun, flexible, work (not meeting) oriented, and willing to change and adapt to new technologies.

I feel like my opinions matter here. Before diving in to a new problem, the solution is thoughtfully mapped and discussed, allowing for everyone involved to discuss its pros and cons. If there's a tool that one person knows about that seems to fit the bill, they pitch the new tool and if it seems like it would help us out, we're not shy about implementing it.

There's no small amount of cool stuff to do as an engineer. From green pasture projects to ground up rewrites with better technologies, I never feel as though I'm in danger of being bored with what I'm doing.

The amenities offerings are also great. The snack bar is stocked, fridges are full, and beer is free. Couple that with free breakfast every Monday and free cereal/oatmeal every day, and you've got a winner. Also a Wii U because embarrassing someone as Baby Daisy in Mario Kart 8 is important.

The engineering office is at HQ in downtown on the corner of 6th and Congress, which is a great area for restaurants and nightlife if you're in to that sort of thing. It's just far enough away from the strip of bars that you're not likely to encounter anyone scary after hours, but it's close enough that if you choose to do that, it's not a pain to do so.

Cons

The only negative thing about MSH is that they're focused on healthy foods. So though our snacks are great, you can't get a nice bag of M&Ms whenever you want. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it is kind of annoying.

Advice to Management

You guys seem to know what you're doing. We keep growing our customers, improving our technologies, and making sound decisions.

7. Awesome co-workers - management not so great

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love everyone I work with. Everyone is young, smart, fun and hard working. The co-CEOS are great, incredibly smart and really care about their staff. It isn't hard to have one-on-one contact with the CEO Matt. Everyone loves him, a lot of people are there just because of him. There is always food and drinks provided. Lots of encouragement from co-workers - its competitive but because you aren't allowed to compete for the same clients it fosters more of a collaborative environment rather than cut-throat sales environment. The salary sucks but the benefits are amazing and they start day one. You DO have the opportunity to make a lot of money - that opportunity really does exist.

Cons

I am currently employed by Main Street Hub however I am quitting today. The upper management is great but the lower management is so hit or miss. They have what they call "team leaders" which are the supervisors that are on the sales floor directly managing the sales staff. As a new hire I had four team leaders. Two were incredible and the other two were terrible. We had issues as a company with a sales script...essentially the script was changed almost every single day for a week straight before they worked out all the kinks. That is understandable as MSH is a fast growing company and these things happen. That being said, all of the team leaders gave you different advice because they never knew what script to use or what was going on. On one day I had three team leaders tell me how to do the same thing three different ways. Confusing? Yes, very. One of the team leads was way way WAY too aggressive. Like to the point he would belittle sales staff and attempt to intimidate them. He would slam his hand down on your desk pointing all over the script while you were on the phone with a client. He was so unprofessional it really made me very uncomfortable dealing with him. Bottom line this is what happened: I was very proud of what we sold - small business social media solutions that actually really work. After dealing with the aggressive unprofessional team lead the way I viewed what we sold changed drastically. The company has three vales they say they stick to and one of them is "reverence for small businesses". The team lead I had issues with made it VERY clear that these businesses were nothing but a number, nothing but another dial. I didn't like that at all, it showed zero reverence for the small businesses we were suppose to be advocating for.

Advice to Management

Be more thoughtful on who is promoted to team lead and seek sales staff feedback regarding the team leads. These team leads have so much influence on your company - they are setting the tone for the entire sales staff. If you have one bad egg in the team lead mix it will throw everything off. I promise you if you were to give the sales staff a safe zone to evaluate their team leads you would be surprised at the feedback. The Cons I listed were regularly discussed among the employees at lunch, it was a common feeling. I have so much respect for you and what you have built at Main Street Hub. MSH is a great company will tons of potential. I know the team lead problem is part of the growing pains and I wish you all the very best in fixing that....I just won't be around to see it.

A good first job out of college

I worked at Main Street Hub full-time

Pros

it's a startup environment. You meet alot of young people that probably share alot of the same interests, experiences. I personally met alot of great, supportive people while i was there, from the reps to the supervisors.
    - The supervisors i worked under were a mixed bunch. One of them was phenomenal with his energy, support, and genuine concern. The other two, not so much.
    - You get a kitchen full of free food. From fruits, cereal, bagels, greek yogurt, coffee, you can pretty much have your breakfast and evening snack here. There's also a pool table and a beer keg. A bunch of the employees got drunk friday evenings. I had to rub my eyes a few times because i wasn't sure if i was at a college campus party or a professional workplace.
    - You can DEFINITELY make money here, if you have a knack for sales. Good commission structure. One guy i started with made nearly 5k in commission in one month alone.

Cons

- The product, in all honesty, is simply not good. The presentation makes alot of promises that it simply does not deliver on. If the product was $99 a month, instead of $299, then maybe it would make sense for alot of businesses. But the product is mediocre, and i honestly feel bad for the businesses i signed up because if i knew i was making empty promises to them, i probably wouldn't be as enthusiastic on the calls. Crappy, cookie cutter facebook posts, twitter conversations that lead to dead ends, no effective way to increase their facebook likes or twitter followers. I mean whats the point of "proactive twitter messages" if the business has 5 followers? It's ridiculous and dishonest.
    - Really high turnover. It's genuinely sad to see people you were on good terms with leave just on a whim. I saw it happen way too many times, and honestly its demoralizing. It sucks the life out of you. Make sure you don't make too many friends, because chances are, most of them will be laid off.
    - The leads are terrible. They ask us to call 100 businesses daily to be successfuly, but in all honesty, how succcessful can i be if i'm calling Joe from Joe's auto repair, when the notes say he hung up on a rep 5 times in the past 4 months. That's classified as a new lead because it's been two months since he was called. It's laughable.
    - They ask you to prospect on your own time, and since the company has expanded, it's honestly a waste of time because most of the prospects are taken. You'll spend two hours looking for good businesses to find, and when you do, you'll realize they are already taken.

Advice to Management

- Focus on improving the product. Too much emphasis on perfecting the sales process and not nearly enough on making the product better.
    - Stop giving sales agents crappy leads

Great company, fun culture, and driven managers.

Current Employee - Marketing Consultant in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing Consultant in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Main Street Hub

Pros

Amazing place to learn some great skills that can be transferable for any other position. Managers look out for the their team members and are great mentors. Everyone is friendly and the culture is great.

Cons

It is a sales job so like any other sales profession expect a lot of hires and fires. Work hard and you have nothing to worry about. Also this is a growing company so expect a lot of change but amazing training to go on with that change.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! This company is going places!

Amazing company

Current Employee - Marketing Consultant in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are so many pros to this company and to this position. One that stands out to me, that everyone is looking for when applying for a job, is the potential to grow with in this fast moving company. If you do the basics of the job and do well, you with see growth while getting paid handsomely.

Cons

Cons.....Growing pains. As with any rapidly growing company you'll see and feel some growing pains. Change is apart of life, so being adaptable is key.

Advice to Management

Keep valuing your employees like you have been. It doesn't go unnoticed.

A Focused, Fast-Growing Company Mission-Set on Helping Small Businesses Grow

Current Employee - Marketing in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you're looking to work with smart, committed professionals in a fast-growth environment, then Main Street Hub is a great destination (not to mention it's right in the heart of Austin). This is a very focused company: focused on its customers (local businesses), focused on its culture (and truly embodying it), and focused on growth...fast! It's also mission-focused company, with that mission being to help local businesses grow online. If you're cause-driven to help "the little guys" succeed by giving them the tools that typically only larger enterprises enjoy, then your passion will fit right in. This is not a paintball and ping pong startup. Yes, there is a ping pong table, but culture starts and ends with customers...and creating growth opportunities for team members along the way.

Cons

What are definite pros for many may be drawbacks for those who aren't looking for or ready for a fast-growth, results-driven environment.