Main Street Hub

Updated 29 January, 2015
3.8

Main Street Hub Co-Founder & Co-CEO Andrew Allison & Matt Stuart
Andrew Allison & Matt Stuart

Pros
  • You will also make a lot of money along the way (in 6 reviews)

• No matter what work is work, but at MSH they give you an opportunity to make a lot of money, if you can figure out the sale (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management claims to care about employees, but will fire them at the drop of a hat (in 9 reviews)

• Limited room for growth within the organization as they seem to love to promote externally (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to grow your sales career

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They've made a lot of changes since last summer that are great if you want to sell. Better career path and perks like warm leads and transportation bonus when you promote, new training team and training, better tools, and now a much better compensation plan for 2015 where you can earn 3x more at quota than last year. And they just added a 401k to the benefits, plus they pay your health insurance.
    I also appreciate all of the sales managers and team leads they've added to help you learn how to sell the product better, which sounds different than other people I know in sales that have no help. Businesses need the product , it works, and we're adding new products this year. The people i've seen that haven't been successful don't want to put the effort into it and then want to complain if they don't hit quota. Just like any sales job, you have to learn the product and talk to businesses to sell. If you're not afraid of making calls and taking feedback, you can be successful here. And I should also mention that the people are great (but everyone else has already talked about the great atmosphere).

Cons

There is a ramp up but, again, it's just like any other job where you have to learn the product, etc. If you do not like change and growth, you won't be happy here. The company is growing and making changes (most of which are good), but I've seen a few people get rattled that don't adapt well.

Keep asking for feedback and making changes to address issues.

Happiest I've been in ~10 year career.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The VPE and CEOs are top notch, like "best boss I've ever had" good.

You get to work with and learn from a team of brilliant people with varied backgrounds.

Comp is excellent, and work - life balance is entirely up to you as long as you get your work done. Everyone is held to a high standard.

You have a lot of opportunity to work on projects that interest you and influence technology/design/product choices.

The company is doing very well and growing quickly. This means that for the foreseeable future engineers get both the benefits of a startup (flexibility, large impact, ownership, small tight team, fun work environment, career growth potential) with the benefits of an established company (excellent amenities/equipment/tools, great office space, solid compensation and benefits).

Cons

There is a large amount of legacy code from the company's 'tiny startup' days that needs a lot of tlc. Luckily management recognizes this and sets aside time for refactoring.

While not really a con, the interview process is really tough and few make it through. So if you plan on applying (which I highly recommend) be aware and bring your A game.

Keep doing what you're doing, hiring great people, and preserving the culture.

Fun place

Current Employee - Marketing Consultant in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing Consultant in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time (less than a year)

Pros

They give you everything you need to succeed. It's up to you how well you'll do here.

Cons

They're still a startup so there are some bumps and bruises, but overall a solid place to work.

They're doing a good job.

Best Job Ever - Awesome Leadership

Current Employee - Marketing Executive in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing Executive in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love my career at Main Street Hub. I started really at entry level on the phones and got through all the promotions they offer sales consultants/marketing consultants pretty quickly. It was so nice to be able to get a promotion and a raise and increased commission when you prove yourself in sales and customer service. I was really impressed that really successful people were leaving their jobs and coming to Main Street Hub.

The Senior Vice President of Sales Mandy Cole came from Living Social. Mandy held senior leadership roles at Stella & Dot, LivingSocial, MyNewPlace.com, Wells Fargo Merchant Services and CitySearch. She is a graduate of The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and amazing to work with. This gave me a ton of confidence in the company and sticking with the company.

Mike Georgoff, our new VP Product previously played critical roles at Redbox, the movie rental company, and RetailMeNot, the digital coupon powerhouse, helping grow each from early stage to $1B+ public company. Mike earned his academic credentials at the University of Michigan, graduating summa cum laude from the College of Literature, Science, and Arts.

Cons

There is of course hard work in any growing company and lots of changes but I have found with each and every change it just got better for me, our team and our customers. There is just no company who does what Main Street Hub does at their price point and although others may try they just don't have the range of product, people and the Do It For You service offered by us. The work life balance is not so great but they are working on it. They don't ask you to work harder or longer but to hit my goals I choose to and its so much fun to help people I easily over work. They do encourage you to work out and adjust your hours as needed. I have never been told that there is something in my life that I need to get done and they refuse a request. Super awesome about allowing you to have a life provided you leave LOL.

Keep doing what your doing. I love the work life balance, flex hours for seniors, Presidents Clubs, Annual Sales Conference and fantastic compensation. I would love a Pension Plan. So you know you have a salary the rest of your life. Long term disability needs to include a percentage of your commission so that there is not a huge gap in income if you ever get injured or disabled. Vacation Time needs to give a percentage of your sales since commission is so much of your pay you cant really take a vacation and keep your sales up. I just think the Leadership team rocks. CEO's are brilliant, compassionate and super down to earth guys. Love them.

Great people, great pay

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Extremely bright team of engineers. It's a fairly small group (~10), with a lot of growth in the forecast. The VP of Engineering is a terrific manager that gives you the tools you need to succeed, and is very focused on building a killer team.

The people here are all great, everybody chips in to get work done. People don't care about titles, they care about the work that's being done. The work life balance has been great, people mostly work from the office but everybody is very flexible about hours. Also, if people want to work from home from time to time, that's not frowned upon.

Cons

Haven't hit any big ones yet.

Keep doing what you're doing, and

Customer success manager

I have been working at Main Street Hub

Pros

I like working there because of the environment of people and everyone is really nice

Cons

Pay is okay but you really have to work hard and stay organized to get things done

Fun at first until you realize what is going on

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Main Street Hub

Pros

Great people, startup environment, they shower you with beer/music/games. Music blasting all day but I dont know if I would say that is a pro ... it is pretty distracting. It is a great concept and I think the company will be successful but the turnover is so high, they need to invest more time in the employees who have been there instead of just hiring any 22 year old that walks in looking for a fun job out of college. They are very flexible with time-off which is great for those people who like to travel and have fun outside of work. Just added 401k which is definitely necessary for any company and benefits right away which they just updated as well. Can make money if you are the 1 person who actually does good but the avg person will be living off the base and not collecting much commission.

Cons

no room for growth they could careless about hiring new managers to help the new kids, they just throw you in and hope for the best. They are changing WAY TOO MUCH which is definitely affecting everyone and it shows in the numbers. The music is distracting when you are trying to work and it is counterproductive to stand up and high five someone everytime they close a deal ... over 150 reps deals happening every second it is pretty annoying. I learned more from successful reps that teach me their tricks than anything management has ever given us. They promise a lot and never follow through. I wouldnt recommend if you are looking for a company to grow in, recommend if you want experience because it is a tough sale and will help you down the road in your sales career. Quota is not attainable for the avg joe i would say 65% of the office doesnt hit quota and 3% actually make a lot ton of money.

Talk to the people that have been there and get some advice from them since they have experience selling the product. There is no communication at all and it seems they could careless about you ... just a drop of water in the ocean.

Good Opportunity with a Growing Company

Current Employee - Marketing Consultant in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing Consultant in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time (less than a year)

Pros

They definitely offer a product that a lot of small businesses can use. The office in San Francisco is a great group of people that make coming to work and hitting the phones 8+ hours a day fun. The office manager is always planning fun in office and out of office events that builds great team cohesion. The office manager looked out for everyone in the office and put them in the best position to succeed

Cons

Unfortunately Main Street Hub decided to close their West Coast offices and move all operations to New York and Austin. So if you're dying to start a career with this great company but live in California, get ready to relocate. As great as this company is and may potentially become they did not invest enough in the strongest tech market in the U.S. A small San Francisco office with little leadership support is not a recipe for success in such a competitive industry. Also the expectations for daily metrics is excessive. You are expected to make 100+ calls per day. But this expectation means you are not having quality conversations. You're dialing just to hit your required number of dials. If you fall behind pace you are dialing just to hit your dial quota and not focusing on what is really important (having quality conversations with business owners that can turn into deals).

Do not ignore the talent that is available here. This is a tremendous market. There is a reason so many successful companies have set up in this market. Do not go into a low retention hiring model. Bringing in fresh candidates that have no experience in sales and hoping they figure it out in 2-3 months is not a good growth model. Invest more into your people. 401K, employee stock option purchasing plans, these are things that will keep talent invested. Right now you're selling a dream and a vision. Most people will have a hard time buying into that. Give them something to believe

Main Street Hub Response

Jan 09, 2015co-CEO

Thanks very much for your review. We really appreciate your focus on the people and the product that make the company strong. And thanks for shouting out your office manager! Our office managers are ... More

Get on board now because this company is blowing up

Current Employee - Marketing Consultant in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing Consultant in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Main Street Hub

Pros

First and foremost, the culture is great. Really laid back, an office full of friendly people, and really good music. They want you to work hard, but really, do you expect to come to work and not work as hard as you can? If so, this isn't the job for you.

Training was phenomenal. I started in November, and I went from 0-100 real quick. The team leads responsible for training up the new reps are literally the people who have found the most success at the company and are doing a fantastic job.

Management at my office is really down to earth and always game to help out. When you give feedback, they listen.

All in all, this is the kind of place you can make a lot of money and have a great time if you just buy in to the culture and jump in feet first. Immerse yourself in it. It works.

Cons

Schedule flexibility would be a nice perk. With the closure of the west coast offices, I'd love to be able to work 9-6 rather than 8:30-5:30, because now I can call west coast leads and keep myself in prime selling time for longer.

Also, the material in the official company training is garbage. Meaning the rebuttals, etc. All the good stuff comes from the successful reps working there, but all the good material was given to us pretty much immediately upon hitting the phones.

I give work/life balance 3 stars, only because I end up putting in 13 hour days thanks to the travel to and from the office. Otherwise, as long as you work like a beast from 8:30-5:30, you are not expected to put in overtime.

Keep doing what you're doing. I'll do my part to sign people up in the meantime.