Magellan Health

Updated Apr 04, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Barry Smith

Pros:
  • "Work from home opportunties are good"
    in 14 reviews
  • "Work/life balance was the biggest advantage"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "Llack of management skils in middle management leeads to low employee morale in some departments"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Communication appears to digress when directives are pushed down from upper management"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good place to work

Benefit Configuration Specialist (Current Employee)
Saint Louis, MO (US)

I have been working at Magellan Health full-time for more than 10 years

ProsPTO and benefits are good. Very flexible on working hours and working from home. There is room for advancement within the company.

ConsSalary seems to be lower than current standards. Often see new hires with less exprience being brought in at a high pay level. I have work here for 13 years and raises are not great.

Advice to Senior ManagementMiddle management needs to be more skilled in their job. There is a lot of problems with communications with in departments and much time and resources are wasted.

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Magellan Health

ProsFlexible and offers good salary

ConsNone that I can think of

Good company that needs to spend money on technology upgrades

Networks (Former Employee)
Phoenix, AZ (US)

I worked at Magellan Health full-time for more than 3 years

ProsTheir HR and employee benefits, are really good and they follow through on their commitments to bonuses, etc.. Culture depends on the direct manager your work for--overall, I really enjoyed my time there, after the transition was over (took about a year).

ConsNeed to upgrade technologies to provide tools that are more user friendly and searchable.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou must spend to grow.

Good benefits and a flexible work environment, but....

Business Analyst (Current Employee)
Saint Louis, MO (US)

I have been working at Magellan Health full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood benefits. Salary is under the average stated on glassdoor for comparable positions at other employers. Excellent time off allotment from the start and flexible work environment. Some opportunity for telecommuting if your job responsibilities permit that to occur.

ConsSome in senior management roles have excellent people-leadership skills, others will throw you under the bus without hesitation. Employees perceived as not closely aligned with the agenda of a manager or a manager's favored staff will be disregarded. Corporate frequently pushes out new initiatives, does not properly fund support for new contracts and management poorly executes what corporate thrusts upon them, resulting in a chaotic and stressful work for front-line employees who have to clean up the resulting mess.

Advice to Senior ManagementStrive to lead the excellent and knowledgeable employees you have and listen to them without forcing your own personal agenda. Identify the senior management who do not have effective people-leadership skills and provide them with mentors or other resources to understand their role and tools to obtain the skills needed to lead others. Get rid of the many senior-level management who are on a self-glorifying power trip and unwilling to learn to effectively lead people. Admit when a new initiative didn't go quite the way it was intended to go, and solicit comments and suggestions directly from front-line employees.

Customer Service

I have been working at Magellan Health full-time for more than a year

Prosquite company, clean building and nice co workers

ConsNot enough money, expensive benefits no work life balance

Advice to Senior Managementgive more money

Generally a positive place to work - recent changes in direction / leadership has lead to a very unsettled environment.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Magellan Health full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe benefit package is very attractive; certainly room for advancement if you are willing to look for opportunities.

ConsCorporate direction has continued to evolve over the last several years. Lay offs seem to be part of the new culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate the corporate strategic vision with the rest of the workforce. Anxiety is high, and although tough decisions are necessary, the lack of communication is seen as secrecy.

Customer Service

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Magellan Health full-time for more than a year

ProsComfortable workspace, beautiful outdoors grounds for breaks and lunches, great location. Money is okay, and benefits are good.

ConsToo restricted. This is a call center and you will have many "standards" that you will be expected to keep up with and improve upon.

Advice to Senior ManagementSmile :D

Learning about health care and the importance of the right provider for the patient as well as for the family.

Support Specialist I (Former Employee)
Parsippany, NJ (US)

I worked at Magellan Health full-time for more than 5 years

ProsTeamwork is very important as well as learning more of the services the company provided and the opportunity to learn more in order to advance within the company.

ConsLoud noises sometimes acquired by co-workers not realizing they were in a restricted area; poor apparel for a professional environment and of course the day I left the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementGetting much closer to the employees. Understanding their needs when they have family they have to take care of especially single parents.

Difficult to get anything accomplished here.

Administrative (Current Employee)
Scottsdale, AZ (US)

I have been working at Magellan Health full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCompany give a very generous PTO and encourages staff to use it to its fullest advantage, no carry over of PTO, enriched insurance benefits, telecommuting encouraged in many areas of the company.

ConsToo many roadblocks and difficult to get anything accomplished. Decisions are all made at the upper level and can take many weeks to get something very simple approved. New phone system was installed three months ago and is still not being utilized because of politics.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many chiefs.

Nice place to work

Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at Magellan Health full-time for more than 5 years

ProsA nice place to work. They allow some work at home opportunities. Most people are very nice and ethical. They pay well.

ConsCall center environment, still better then most. They close down main break room for big meetings, inconvenient for those that use it.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind more ways to help motivate and lift morale.

Worked for Magellan Health? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Magellan Health reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Magellan Health CEO Barry Smith. All 75 reviews are posted anonymously by Magellan Health employees.