MTV Networks Reviews

Updated 18 October, 2014
3.8

MTV Networks President and CEO, Viacom Philippe P. Dauman
Philippe P. Dauman

Pros
  • They are very considerate about work/life balance (in 23 reviews)

• the dress code is super laid back so most people wear jeans or leggings every day (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can be tough, but that's why they tend to hire so young (in 10 reviews)

• Senior management is out of touch with everyone below them (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

They use you up and throw you out

Former Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY (US)

I worked at MTV Networks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Matrixed organization with good structure and good decision-making processes. They know how to keep Wall Street happy. Interesting projects made the job bearable and management was helpful with development goals and coaching.

Cons

Leadership demands 24-7 availability in addition to long office hours. Constant layoffs cause employees to work under the threat of being let go. My boss once told me, "Nobody ever retires from MTV Networks" and it's true. You either quit or you are shown the door. Everyone works with their backs against the wall waiting for bad news. Company leadership panics when stock value drops a penny--or if a someone else in the industry innovates and causes change.

Stop trying to prove value and efficiency to investors by cutting jobs and over-working those who remain. Nobody can do quality work on a packed 24-7 schedule.

Had some wonderful opportunities and connections made as a Talent and Casting Intern

Former Employee - Talent and Casting in Santa Monica, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Talent and Casting in Santa Monica, CA (US)

I worked at MTV Networks as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

you are trusted to do important things working with very confidential information. i got to work at the movie awards which was awesome being on the red carpet. they treat you really nicely here. casual work atmosphere and like a family

Cons

a lot of grunt work like coffee runs, but that's usual for hollywood internships

Good Work/Life Balance

Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY (US)

I worked at MTV Networks full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

They are very considerate about work/life balance.
    Offer good amount of time off and during the holidays they give a few days extra so people can spend with their families.
    They have many programs available to employees to help with their personal life
    Great perks.

Cons

It's very consuming. Hard to use all of the perks you get when you are flooded with so much work.

Location of their main buildings is just awful. In the heart of time square. Really rough to get in and out of the buildings.

The culture is very progressive but often time you will run into people/departments who are just taking up things so they will not be fired/let go.

While there are a lot of opportunities for advancement you have to seek them out. These are not offered to everyone and depending on who you report to, you may not even be aware that these opportunities exist!

They often hire employees with higher titles so they don't have to pay them overtime. They often create titles because they do not know how to streamline their staff and create a system where you hire people at a certain level and work to develop them to move up or to different places in the company.

HR is not very involved in day to day stuff and not really aware of half of the things happening in their perspective departments.

If you apply to a position and are called for an interview there, don't expect an email or phone call letting you know if you did not get the position. They will not let you know and you could be waiting forever even if you thought it went very well. It's very disheartening that they do not follow up with you not even out of courtesy.

Develop your talent. When I first started to work in the company ion 2003 there was a great culture of innovation and managers wanting to work to their employees to develop them and help them get where they wanted to get. This resulted in employees being excited to work for the company and knowing that eventually if they worked hard, they could diversify their experience within the company. The last 3-5 years that I was with the company that atmosphere drastically changed to one where people where afraid of expressing what their wants, goals were due to fear of loosing their jobs and being over-looked by management if their personal goals did not revolve around that particular department. It is a great shame because I always saw MTV/Viacom as a company where you could bring your strengths and creativity. One where you would be able to get experience in various areas of the industry.

I hope management goes back to a culture where employees feel free to move around the company and don't feel the need to have to leave the company in order to diversify their resumes.

Intern Friendly

Former Employee - Talent Management Intern in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Talent Management Intern in New York, NY (US)

I worked at MTV Networks as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Intern program- Very organized and valuable process
    Company culture- everyone seemed to get along great
    Fun atmosphere- relaxed but hard working environment
    Seemed to be lots of growth opportunities

Cons

Could provide a little more work and responsibility to interns especially ones who are obtaining higher degrees.

None

Intern

I worked at MTV Networks

Pros

Great experience I learned alot from my supervisors.

Cons

Internship wasn't long enough. I wasnt ready for it to end.

Don't believe the hype

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in New York, NY (US)

I worked at MTV Networks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The cafeteria is nice and the food is great.

Cons

The pay is very low.

Good Benefits, Not Much Room to Move Up

I worked at MTV Networks full-time

Pros

The company benefits are good, somewhat casual atmosphere, good people. The company has many employee events.

Cons

Not much room to advance, no backup help when taking time off, constant layoffs, many managers don't seem to acknowledge those in lesser positions, the company seems to be all over the place in programming - which is getting more vulgar all the time.

Very relaxed, fun place to work, but they're quick to lay people off

I worked at MTV Networks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Of all the places I've worked, MTV Networks has definitely one of the funnest environments. Despite its reputation for being cheap, the pay is decent. Depending on your job, the work-life balance is good.

Cons

They've been known to lay off entire departments even if they're doing well. VH1 Production is a good example of this.

They can do a better job is training their employees to prep for the next step in their careers.

Work isn't challenging or rewarding.

I have been working at MTV Networks

Pros

No one cares if you show up late, because all the producers are late too.
    Work included getting coffee, which is easy!

Cons

You can't really give your creative advice because the egotistical producers are too stupid to acknowledge that the interns are smarter than they are.

A great place to get a great start in the entertainment business.

Former Employee - Social Media Manager in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Social Media Manager in New York, NY (US)

I worked at MTV Networks as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Almost everyone I've met in the business since leaving MTV Networks, is also a Viacom alum. It's always been such a fun and easy talking point at networking events and in interviews as I've moved along to other networks.

Cons

Work-life balance can be tough, but that's why they tend to hire so young. If you're 25 and new to New York, it's great. After that shine starts to wear off you might start to wonder, "Why am I working nights and weekends so often? Are there other things I'd rather be doing?" And when that happens, it's time to move on.

Try to help younger employees avoid burn out.

MTV Networks Photos