MTV Networks

MTV Networks Reviews

Updated Jul 07, 2014

MTV Networks President and CEO, Viacom Philippe P. Dauman

Philippe P. Dauman

Pros
  • The company truly has a great work life balance(in 21 reviews)

• the dress code is super laid back so most people wear jeans or leggings every day(in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • They also don't really value a work-life balance(in 8 reviews)

• Senior management is out of touch with everyone below them(in 14 reviews)

Too big, too much a$$ kissing, but looks great on a resume!

Intern (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsI was an intern, but this is what I observed:

-Laid back environment
    -Casual attire
    -Looks great on a resume
    -Nice people for the most part

Cons-MTV is huge so you feel like a number
    -WAY too much a$$ kissing (not my style)
    -Located in an annoying spot (Times Square)
    -Does not guarantee you a job when you finish your internship

Advice to Senior Management-Listen more to ideas of the people working under you
    -Become more in touch with the company's younger targeted audience

Learned a lot but felt invisible

MTV Productions (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsI really enjoyed learning about the various ways I would get involved in productions. I didn't feel trained per se but I was shown a lot like production management and all things involved with being a PA.

ConsIt is a huge corporation so I felt like the work I did didn't really matter. I was an unpaid intern and I was treated well but there was just too many people. I don't like the huge office feel.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe interns should get paid atleast something, because I know I gained a lot of experience but MTV was a resume builder more than anything else.

Great place to work. This was the best place I have ever worked.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFun work environment. Flexibility for working parents. Great health benefits and tuition reimbursement.

ConsLow starting salaries for positions in non-management roles.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Wonderful experience being part of such a smart strategic team.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsGreat brand name and a leader in the entertainment vertical. Advertisers who found their audience within the MTVN family of brands would invest.

ConsLarge company, challenge to move upward quickly as there aren't many open opportunities available. Sometimes the individual brand teams do not integrate or communicate posing a challenge for company movement between different teams and visibility on open opportunities.

Great place to start your career in the media world....

Director of Production (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsA lot of good people work here. You'll gain a lot of experience; even if you're under qualified. ..trial by fire (which can also be a con)

ConsSenior management is out of touch with everyone below them.
    Not very easy to advance up the ranks

Advice to Senior ManagementYou like to foster good talent, but you need to learn to retain these assets

Terrific resume builder; fabulous staff

Editor (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsYou'll work with the best in the business, gain valuable experience, learn how to manage others, and work in a hands-on, always-on-the-go environment. The Lodge is pretty rad, too. Dress code: No one cares. Wear whatever you want.

ConsMTV is adverse to hiring staff employees; everyone is contract or full-time/freelance, which, unfortunately, comes with few benefits. They also don't really value a work-life balance. VERY fast-paced environment -- no slow days. Can be exhausting. Can also be a cliquey place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease value your employees. Many of them work like dogs and don't even have health insurance.

A great place to get your start in the world of television and digital.

Production Assistant (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsGreat people on my team, all talented in their individual roles and respective duties.

ConsA total lack of organization at the top level led to late night shoots dictated by talent's arrival and schedule.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore collaboration and regular meetings would make life easier on the production team's end.

I loved the culture and the variety of tasks at hand.

Production Intern (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsGreat work life balance
    Great perks
    Access to events and episodes before public

ConsNot noticed easily
    Unpaid
    Some of the staff very cold and unbothered

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your interns more guidance with their career paths, be more honest about how competitive it is to get a job there.

It used to be a great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsYoung, high energy, tremendously creative. The business units still hold onto their individual personalities and vibe - great places to grow and learn. Global organization

ConsHigh stress in the administrative roles - all about cutting heads and costs. Political environment if you are in the corporate environment - all about being a former Pepsi or Y&R guy. If you're not in a Channel group - run.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe size of the bonuses at the executive level would keep a few people employed for years

Great place to start your career in production, but leave before it beats you down too much.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsYoung workforce, a good place to start your career, good benefits, flexible in terms of responsibility.

ConsPromotes "jack of all trades, master of none" work philosophy. Squelches new ideas. Not interested in creative solutions or ideas. Happy to churn out lowest quality work for the biggest buck.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a few risks, it's what put MTV on the map in the first place.

Worked for MTV Networks? Contribute to the Community!