MTV Networks

MTV Networks Reviews

Updated Apr 10, 2014

MTV Networks President and CEO, Viacom Philippe P. Dauman

Philippe P. Dauman

Pros:
  • "upper management for my dept is very laid back so work life balance is definitely present"
    in 19 reviews
  • "the dress code is super laid back so most people wear jeans or leggings every day"
    in 32 reviews
Cons:
  • "They also don't really value a work-life balance"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Senior management is out of touch with everyone below them"
    in 13 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great opportunity for students currently enrolled in college.

Intern (Former Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I worked at MTV Networks as an intern for less than a year

ProsThe company culture is amazing if you are put in the right area. Unless you are high level, dress code is very casual. As an intern, MTV really tries to immerse the student and gives them projects. Interns are supposed to help the company, not just get coffee. This makes for an awesome experience working in Times Square. The company also has different events that network interns and current employees.

ConsNo pay, they only give credit. This was hard for me because I had to commute everyday and I lost a lot of money on transportation.

Advice to Senior ManagementTeach interns the politics of the system and make sure they receive all of the e-mails about intern events.

SO GREAT

I have been working at MTV Networks

ProsOMG LIKE EVERYTHING. Free food. Nice Folks.

ConsNot a thing. I was really quite happy.

Advice to Senior Managementnon. Great people. Great environment

Behind the times

Director (Former Employee)

I worked at MTV Networks full-time for more than a year

ProsGood people to work with, and a good working environment. Work hours are good, no long hours necessary. Interesting projects.

ConsGeneral lack of technical understanding amongst employees, but particularly upper management. All they understand is broadcast, and that's all they care about because that's what affects their bonuses. They don't understand social media, and they cut digital because the profit margins are (currently) lower than in broadcast. They can't see the freight train coming right at them, and they'll abandon their jobs or be fired because they couldn't visualize the future, but what do they care? They talk a good game, and pretend to care, but they talk out of both sides of their mouths. They got their bonuses and will leave the company struggling to survive. The company is not poised to succeed in the future digital world.

Advice to Senior ManagementBonuses should reflect multi-year performance and creation of plans to adapt to changing technology in the digital world. Broadcast is changing, and it will not be in its current form in less than 10 years. Do you care? Nickelodeon should fire its management as they don't have a clue about digital.

why don't you get it yet mtv?

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at MTV Networks

Prosyou get to work with an eclectic mix of people who are all phenomenally talented. the higher up you go, the better you are paid.

Conseach subgroup within mtv is competing with the other for eyeballs and attention. so it becomes a shit-show of one-up-manship. at the end of the day, and the only group who wins are the VPs. plus less than 30% actually are staff with full benefits.. permalence is slavery.

Advice to Senior Managementlet your people do what they do best and stop focusing on the formula.

Great overall experience!

Associate Producer (Former Employee)

I worked at MTV Networks as a contractor for more than 3 years

ProsLaid-back, fun and creative atmosphere.

ConsLong hours in production. No work/life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementGetting involved in projects and providing positive and appropriate feedback to co-workers.

Executive Producer

Executive Producer (Current Employee)
Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at MTV Networks as a contractor for more than a year

ProsAble to push the envelope and produce edgy content. They ordered a total of 130 episodes of my first show and I continued to produce multiple shows with them. Typically they order 30 episodes at a time for daily shows and 6 - 8 episodes for weekly.

Consno cons - MTV launched my career

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Great place to learn the industry

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at MTV Networks full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFun work environment, great benefits, tuition reimbursement, access to industry events.

ConsExtremely top-heavy organization where promotion from within is difficult. I've watched managers become VPs in 2 years, while others rot away with no promotions or proper raises. A lot of positions at the VP or higher level seem to be "invented" constantly.

Advice to Senior ManagementReassure junior employees that there is a commitment to promoting from within.

Great place to start your Career/first job

Production Assistant (Current Employee)

I have been working at MTV Networks as a contractor for more than a year

ProsThis is a great company to start your first job. Great introduction to any area of Entertainment you want. Very friendly and fun work environment.

ConsIt is hard to move up in a department. You have to fight for a position or more responsibility to get noticed, you can't be shy or reserved.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more incentive to employees to stay with the company. Provide incentive and opportunities for employees to move up in the company.

You make the best out of your opportunity

Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at MTV Networks as an intern

ProsExperience and cool company. Every day can be different. Only those who are persistent will thrive.

ConsDead-ends. Long hours at times. There's not a lot of cons at working at such a prestige company.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to work hard and you'll go far

Great network for young people.

Associate Producer (Former Employee)
Santa Monica, CA (US)

I worked at MTV Networks full-time for more than a year

ProsCreative and fun environment. Diverse productions.

ConsMost of the production jobs are freelance.

Advice to Senior ManagementMentor and promote.

Worked for MTV Networks? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MTV Networks reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for MTV Networks CEO Philippe P. Dauman. All 323 reviews are posted anonymously by MTV Networks employees.