MSC Industrial Direct

Updated 27 September, 2014
2.7

MSC Industrial Direct CEO Erik Gershwind
Erik Gershwind

Pros
  • Sometimes I feel customer service people are my closest allies in the company (in 6 reviews)

• Great co-workers; good benefits; gives back to the communites they are in (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior Management simply moves the jobs around between themselves (in 7 reviews)

• Upper management was down right condescending on a consistent basis (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Life at MSC.

Current Employee - Inside Sales Associate  in  West Sacramento, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Associate in West Sacramento, CA (US)

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Really good benefits. It is very nice to have all the items in stock for next day delivery. A lot of good people to work with.

Cons

Raises are minimal. Some people have had several complaints against them but no disciplinary action taken. I notice everything gets pushed back on the inside sales staff. I see projects get sent to the cross reference team and they are returned to the branch for most of the crossing. The one call does it all does not happen like it should. They do not have opportunities for the inside sales staff to transition to outside sales. Also not much training for metal working.

Promote from within. Do not put crazy people in supervisor positions. More training in metal working.

Intelligent,strategic Upper Management, but lower management under utilizes resources.

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Melville, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Melville, NY (US)

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Good direction from executive managment team. Well thought out strategic plan clearly communicated to Management. Company provides excellent resources to achieve excellent results.

Cons

The company is on a hiring freeze.
    Lack of flexibility in working hours.
    Low energy atmosphere where people actually sit in their cars in the parking lot waiting for work hours to begin. I've never experienced that in my life!
    Seems to be alot of animosity toward consultants. Feels like eyes are always on you and everyone is walking on egg shells.
    Appears to be lot of free time on the hands of non-management employees. Atmosphere is very dismal among admin teams.
    Positive energy (but a bit paranoid ) at management levels; Middle Management is very nervous about making a mistake -- even on something insignificant. They are afraid they will appear as if they don't konw what they are talking about. I assume this is due to a highly demanding Senior Executive Team, which goes without saying when you are making very high salaries.

The office culture may lighten up if employees were allowed some flexibility in work hours (8-5 perhapsr) or working through lunch to leave early. Highly consistrictive rules may be needed for hourly employees, but I assume that is why they need to swipe their badges regularly.
    Overall, the leadership team is highly intelligent and driven to succeed but don't appear to understand the "lower level" culture which is true for alot of large companies. Remind your Middle Managers to thank those who work for them. A little bit goes a long way for improving morale as does giving a little flexibility in working hours.

Best culture in the world where the customer comes 1st

Current Employee - OSA
    Current Employee - OSA

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's always a team effort with every level participating and caring for the customer along with the success of the company. Very unique situation these days. Benefits go above and beyond.....

Cons

Honestly only irritating thing I've found is the style of quote we send out to customers. They lack in complete product description and are difficult to identify.

Have never worked for a more supportive encouraging management team in my life.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

MSC a great past, a difficult present and a ambitious future

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

A reasonably good benefit package.

Cons

Lower end of compensation for the industry.
    Too many initiatives

Less can mean more. Keep it simple
    We have a strong foundation, hire good people with industry experience and knowledge,provide them clear direction and let then do their jobs.

Get ready to be micro managed!! There are better places to work if you want to be in this industry

Former Employee - OSA
    Former Employee - OSA

I worked at MSC Industrial Direct full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Have no pros to offer!!! Going to keep writing to meet the twenty word minimum required..the company has non pros.. Twenty word minimum..

Cons

Management will treat you like a number! There is no culture left here!! Run away from this company as fast as possible!! Guarantee the positive reviews here are written by upper management trying to offset the bad ones!! Would not go work here at any price!! Commission plan is horrible and unattainable. You might make commission the first year but after that it's over!! Sales force .com is used as a micro managed tool!! It has nothing to do with the sales process itself!! There a lot of good sales people jumping ship here! Lmfao!'

Pray that MSC never sells out!! Because you all will get takin out. There is no no need for a high paid manager who wakes up every morning just to log on to sales force to see how many calls his sales team as made!!

Go to work, do your job, and shut up.

Current Employee - Inside Sales
    Current Employee - Inside Sales

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct full-time

Pros

OK salary. Can make up time for doctors' appointments, etc.

Cons

Management doesn't care about your ideas, so shut up & build salesforce.com for them because they were too cheap to buy a program like Siebel.

Smile every once in a while and don't take yourselves so seriously. Listen to your employees. Attempt to make work a positive environment instead of one filled with doom and gloom. Get rid of the supervisors/managers who are bringing down the team by bringing personal problems to work. Explain the review process & make goals/objectives easier to understand.

The way they present the culture is great but they don't follow it

Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES
    Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct full-time

Pros

The benefits are good,

Cons

the middle management only care about growth of your accounts and use micromanagement to try and keep you extra busy. Dont expect to make much of your commissions since the goals are so hard to reach.

Listen to the employees. They spend so much time talking that they don't understand the struggles of the feet on the street.

Lots of freedom and chances for promotion

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct full-time for less than a year

Pros

This job offers plenty of freedom in terms of hours worked. It is a growth company with plenty of opportunity for success.

Cons

Commission structure is light, with little room for growth.

Okay

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Same old same old thing

Cons

Has now become a stale place to work

Growing company that offers opportunities

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct full-time

Pros

Visible, active leadership and fast growth organization

Cons

Fast growth and with that comes change

MSC Industrial Direct Photos

Branch/Call Center

+ Add Photo

Worked for MSC Industrial Direct? Contribute to the Community!