MITRE

MITRE Reviews

Updated Apr 12, 2014

MITRE President and CEO Alfred Grasso

Alfred Grasso

Pros:
  • "You can manage to have a good work-life balance and the benefits pretty good"
    in 105 reviews
  • "Good Benefits; however, not as good as they were 25 years ago"
    in 29 reviews
Cons:
  • "Hard to grow salary and climb the ladder, but the work-life balance is great"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Some upper management seems to talk out both sides of their mouth -- dishonest and hypocritical"
    in 15 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Love the people, love the work!

Senior Cyber Security Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at MITRE full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLots of training opportunities, great work-life balance, flexible hours, good benefits. I actually look forward to going into work every day to work on the multiple projects I support.

ConsIt feels like it is dominated by older management that doesn't always seem to quite understand the needs of the younger employees. Attrition lately seems to be a theme, but that also gives more opportunities for those of us who stick around to turn it around.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe're a research and development company, right? I feel like if I want to research up and coming technologies I sometimes have to go out and buy some of them myself to get my hands on it in order to effectively evaluate it. Specifically mobile devices like iPads/iPhones/Android phones/tablets/the newest Windows Phone, etc. I don't always want to have the newest stuff, but it doesn't seem too expensive to have a lab somewhere buy this consumer grade equipment to research. Let's get the equipment so our researchers can research it!

Great place to work!!

I have been working at MITRE full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat work/life balance. Immediate respect in any setting thanks to MITRE's reputation. MITRE gets called on to come solve hard problems. When the problems are fixed, we move on, so opportunities for new work abound... hard to ever imagine someone getting bored or stuck on a bad program for a long time. Retirement and benefits package is excellent; pay is reasonable for the workload. Great facilities and great people - I couldn't be happier (and I've been here nearly 10 years so far).

ConsPromotion rates and pay raises, overall, are pretty slow. Lots depends on your department when it comes to promotions...some are just flat.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe P&D process (annual goal planning/measurement) is just silly. Stop putting so much emphasis on "crafting" detailed goals for everyone. Maybe some employees respond to that, but some of us just want to put, "work hard, do a good job" and press on.

2013 Summer Intern. Good not Great

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Bedford, MA (US)

I worked at MITRE as an intern

ProsGood amount of autonomy - if you think your solution will work you are encouraged to implement it with minimal hand-holding.

Expectations can be pretty high - leading to a lot of initial learning.

ConsIntern experience depends heavily on the project to which you get assigned. I had a friend who's project was below his capabilities and spent 10 weeks not learning anything.

Growing Pains but Still a Great Place to Work

I have been working at MITRE

ProsEnjoy the flexible work life balance

Constime off policies, struggling to keep value in marketplace changes

Advice to Senior ManagementBe confident in the company values, we believe in the company's purpose

Great Company

Lead Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at MITRE full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBenefits, Salary, Work Satisfaction, Location

ConsRe-organization doesn't make sense and adds complexity and overhead.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdding complexity while reducing management opportunities may not be the best strategy.

Great Place to Work

Member of Technical Staff (Current Employee)
Bedford, MA (US)

I have been working at MITRE full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat place to work. Important mission, challenging technical work, good benefits and career development, possible to maintain work-life-balance. Great communication from senior executives (Directors and Above). Good communications on promotions, values, and business environment.

ConsStaff must be proactive in career development discussions with management, partly because middle management can be mixed quality. Like anywhere, work-life-balance is a trade-off, and you may be a bit sidelined (and unhappy) if you become invisible. Benefits were reduced to remain competitive with the marketplace, but are still among the best. Challenging customer funding environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaintain career development opportunities. Ensure middle management is in lock-step with senior management. Maintain an open and communicative dialog on strategic direction and external environment challenges.

Awkward for a Recent Grad

Economic/Business Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at MITRE full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFlexible schedule, good vacation, client interface

ConsAmbiguous goals, pointless work, lack of direction

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide new hires specific assignments. Need much more specificity when starting out.

Great Work-Life Balance but Little Opportunity for Reward

Lead Engineer (Current Employee)
Annapolis Junction, MD (US)

I have been working at MITRE full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe company and management give employees a lot of flexibility in how they perform their jobs and handle personal responsibilities. Some opportunities for doing research if you are in the right organization. Our customers respect our expertise.

ConsLittle opportunity for advancement unless you make the right contacts in executive management. Salaries are flat, so with rising health care costs and benefit erosion, most employees net less every year.

An interesting place to work that can be a bit stuffy at times

I have been working at MITRE full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe work tends to be engaging and technical. The staff can about the mission of the company.

ConsWhile there is good work, at times the work can become less interesting. Management also seems to be doing some re-orgs with no clear explanation of why it's beneficial.

Not bad, even good, with luck and low expectations.

Senior Staff and Manager (Current Employee)
Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at MITRE full-time for more than 10 years

Pros- Health and retirement packages aren't as good as they used to be but are still fairly good.
 - Attracts lots of people at the staff (non-manager) level that care about public service.
 - Has some departments, pockets, of really skilled people. Some of the project teams work pretty well and haven't been messed up by management.
 - If you can get a job with the right team, right customer, right project and have as little to do with the company as possible then you can do good work, have impact and even some interesting work.
 - Some of the customers are good. Naturally some aren't. MITRE does pretty much whatever the customers want (has no sense of self-respect) but the plus of that is if you get a good customer who knows what they are doing (and the customers' money makes the rules) then the work and projects are good.

Cons- Many managers during last 10 years are refugees from commercial consulting. They miss their glory days at that and are turning the company into bigger is better and more money is better oriented consulting company. Many of the staff wonder if these managers were so great at for-profit consulting why they didn't stay there rather than come and ruin MITRE.
 - Management team (many Directors and almost all Officers) as a rule has no interest in the work. They make fun of the engineers and will even call them names. Very arrogant bosses.
 - HR as a rule has no ability to help departments recruit qualified staff. HR gets quotas based on number of people to hire fast and not about quality. They can't screen or attract skilled folks in really any skill area. They make a big deal about employee referrals because they have to as that is only way to get applicants. HR pretty much just makes appointments for the interviews. That is about it.
 - Does not seem to attract qualified general managers at the senior level. Some are people who got famous and promoted on only one special project. Many are just sales people. A couple with some skill related to the work but that is getting really rare. None of them seem to be very experienced or skilled at the general stuff of managing an organization (personnel, managing finances, planning).
 - MITRE officers keep diversifying the types of business the company is in and have greatly reduced their interest in any one set of customers. Customers are taking notice and realize MITRE will send out a sales person to give them a pitch or manager to fix a problem but that MITRE doesn't really know much or care much about the work the customers need.
 - MITRE senior managers and officers aren't trustworthy or reliable. Many will say whatever is convenient at the time. They make many many announcements, make a big show at an all hands, but nothing ever comes of it. Not credible.
 - In some places the work/live balance is truly terrible. The managers can't plan the work and so the teams spend huge amounts of unpaid overtime. They quit as soon as they can and get consulting jobs to get at least paid better. Some of the managers miss the always-on life of consulting and expect you to be on the job at all times. So lots of nights and weekend work.
 - Most people do not join for the pay. But the managers make it all about the money one way or the other. In that case, given the long hours and little job satisfaction, the pay isn't very good.
 - Managers make a big deal about the few cases in old history where MITRE did some great work. But they don't and appears can't do anything to do great work now. For most of the senior staff working at MITRE is boring and much less interesting than other options. If you fight for it very hard you might be able to build some professional development but you have to be very clever and really lucky to pull that off.
 - There lots of rules about promotions, pay raises etc that are claimed to make it fair but that is mostly smoke and mirrors. People post jobs for their friends and close them after a few hours before anyone else can apply. Officers use personal bias to over-rule ratings and pay adjustments recommendations. HR staff openly lobby to get their friends jobs at MITRE.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease go back to the consulting jobs that you miss and love so much. Please hire some people who really know how to run an organization (can actually use a budget) and care about working at a not-for-profit (don't daily miss their consulting jobs). It would be nice to get some managers with experience and success at running a not-for-profit or "think tank" kind of place to come to MITRE. Please please decide what types of work you want or lines of business to do and try to do that well rather than trying to do lots of unrelated things poorly. Please stop admiring Google and Amazon and Apple at every meeting. It is terrible to morale. It is fine that the company does more than engineering but please stop making fun of engineers. It hurts the work, the company and makes it a not nice place to work.

Worked for MITRE? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MITRE reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for MITRE CEO Alfred Grasso. All 397 reviews are posted anonymously by MITRE employees.