MD Anderson

MD Anderson Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

MD Anderson President Ronald A. DePinho

Ronald A. DePinho

Pros
  • Work efforts are not challenging so its easy to maintain a work-life balance (in 18 reviews)

• Work-life balance, great benefits, opportunity to work with people who come different backgrounds (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • We had to pay for parking and in my opinion it was too much (in 7 reviews)

• Work-life balance was not a priority of my direct supervisor (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Relaxed environment, but poor communication.

Web Development Specialist (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsRelaxed environment, great coworkers, and a general movement toward updated technologies. Great benefits for full-time employees. Job security. My manager is awesome, very understanding and accommodating of a good work/life balance.

ConsStill very outdated in many areas, poor opportunities for full-time employment or advancement, low salary range for full-time employees. Poor communication between departments and managers, very bureaucratic inner workings. Difficult change management system.

Advice to Senior ManagementCould improve communication standards across departments and between managers.

Horrible place to work

Research (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsThey put the salary on their website, which is rare. Most companies don't do that. Also, the health benefits are pretty good, and it's pretty good job security.

ConsHorrible work/life balance. Very hard to schedule off and LOTS of rules and red tape with employees. They treat you like a number and there's a lot of gossip, politics, and they will overwork you. All in all, there are a lot of other hospitals I would recommend to work for that treat their employees way better.

Advice to Senior ManagementActually listen to your employees. If they're happy, they will work harder. If you ignore their concerns or don't give them promotions/raises after years of dedicated service, it will show in their work. Offer more work/life balance and scheduling off should be way easier. Do NOT LET EMPLOYEES COME TO WORK SICK!

Neither here nor there

ProsThey have a powerful mission- making cancer history. It makes you feel like your a part of something huge, bigger than yourself

ConsBureaucracy, red tape, you could get in your work and just keep going 'cause everyone is too busy to stop for a minute. The skills are present, personality? especially when it comes to interdepartmental stuff?....it could be better.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great benefits, always busy

ProsLot of opportunities to get better

ConsBusy day, maybe little pressure

Advice to Senior Management1 more week vacation

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

so far it is a good experience here for over 7 years

Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

Prosa lot of labs to choose, relative good science, great enviroment and culture

Consno real big shot in cancer research field except the president

Advice to Senior Managementrecruit more big shots in cancer field

A great place to work

Physician (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsPeople stay here forever. It's a happy hospital. You work with people who are the top in their field almost all the time.

ConsIt is concerned with maintaining it's position as #1 cancer center in America. There is some beaurocracy with that. Health insurance policy is only ok.

Advice to Senior ManagementAn extra week of vacation, please!

A state agent style company

Applications Systems Analyst (Former Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsPay rate comparing to Industry

Conspoor management and communication to employee

Advice to Senior ManagementState agent outsourcing to India?

Nice place to work

Clinical Coordinator (Former Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsGood pay, Great benefits, Great retirement!

ConsCompany has a lot of organization politics.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe upper management should care more about the everyday workers.

Great place to work

Medical Imaging Tech (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

Prosinnovative environment, very good compensation, benefits, and work-life balance.

ConsToo much politics and bureaucracy.

Advice to Senior ManagementReduce the bureaucracy, too much red tape. Moral has declined significantly since change in leadership.

Business Analyst

Database Administrator (Former Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsCompany provide the career opportunity for us.
    Good retirement benefits.

ConsMany departments have their small IT team.

Worked for MD Anderson? Contribute to the Community!