MD Anderson

MD Anderson Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

MD Anderson President Ronald A. DePinho

Ronald A. DePinho

Pros
  • Work efforts are not challenging so its easy to maintain a work-life balance (in 18 reviews)

• Work-life balance, great benefits, opportunity to work with people who come different backgrounds (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • We had to pay for parking and in my opinion it was too much (in 7 reviews)

• Work-life balance was not a priority of my direct supervisor (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent mission; challenging workload

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsEvery day a person who works at MD Anderson Cancer Center wakes up knowing they are going to work for a mission that matters. It is not about profit. It is all about curing cancer. Working in IT, I am not involved in direct patient care yet the leaders are careful to be sure we all have line of sight on how we contribute to the mission.

ConsThe last two years have been a challenge with all the leadership changes and lack of staffing. Many of us are doing two and three jobs. The stress level is high and uncertainty is making it worse. We hear that this is the "new normal" but we cannot keep up the pace. Many are getting sick and quitting.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeriously back-fill the positions. IT and other organizations are exhausted. Either trim down the projects or staff the ones being funded properly. We are staff for normal operations, not huge projects too.

overall good

Senior Data Analyst (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

Prosnice working environment, great work life balance

Consbeuraucracy, takes forever to get something easy done

Advice to Senior Managementshould provide free parking to your employee...

ok

Research Data Coordinator (Former Employee)

ProsVery strong culture and mission. Staff are motivated and involved in their work

ConsSome micromanaging and the quality of mangers varies by department

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sr. Secretary

Senior Secretary (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsExcellent company to work for, great benefits, tuition reimbursement, a lot of room for professional growth

ConsBig and hierarchy...too many politics

Advice to Senior ManagementHire within!!! GIVE EMPLOYEES OPPORTUNITY TO ADVANCE

Pediatric Oncology was rewarding and it gave you many blessings to be thankful for in your own life.

Clinical Nurse (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsInsurance Benefits
    PTO
    Many advancement tools for your career

ConsOncology burden
    Joining committees, pact's, to maintain a substantial great performance review

Advice to Senior ManagementTo not loose sight of what nursing is really about caring, empathy, and a positive aspect to the patients and patients care. Not making about its just a job and financial gain.

Great place to work

Clinical Billing Specialist (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsEncourage learning other skills or sharpening your current skills.

ConsSlow salary increases for positions

Great Job

IT Project Manager (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

Proswelcomed, Family feel like environment, excellent place to work, large institution, Department willing to work with you to achieve your personal and academic goals.

ConsN/A, The job was demanding and therefore it require my dedication No Cons to report.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work

High end standard in the healthcare industry

CLS Trainee (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsLearn a lot from every where. The atmosphere is to push you going forward from the institution level to department level to team level.

ConsToo big, easy to lost, bad computer support if you are not patient care team like research. Traffic of course and hard to build relationship with outside of department.

Good place to work

Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) Smithville, TX (US)

ProsExcellent science and beautiful campus.

ConsOut in middle of nowhere.

Relaxed environment, but poor communication.

Web Development Specialist (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsRelaxed environment, great coworkers, and a general movement toward updated technologies. Great benefits for full-time employees. Job security. My manager is awesome, very understanding and accommodating of a good work/life balance.

ConsStill very outdated in many areas, poor opportunities for full-time employment or advancement, low salary range for full-time employees. Poor communication between departments and managers, very bureaucratic inner workings. Difficult change management system.

Advice to Senior ManagementCould improve communication standards across departments and between managers.

Worked for MD Anderson? Contribute to the Community!