MD Anderson

MD Anderson Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

MD Anderson President Ronald A. DePinho

Ronald A. DePinho

Pros
  • Work efforts are not challenging so its easy to maintain a work-life balance (in 18 reviews)

• Work-life balance, great benefits, opportunity to work with people who come different backgrounds (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • We had to pay for parking and in my opinion it was too much (in 7 reviews)

• Work-life balance was not a priority of my direct supervisor (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work

ProsGreat place to work, Great pay

Consresource one is not an user friendly system

Generally good

ProsGood compensation, ample samples, good funding.

Consvery formal place for working.

Great mission. Lacks focus on technology.

Senior Data Modeler (Former Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsGreat people. Great mission. Nice pay. Secure job environment with nice pension benefits.

ConsPeople seem complacent. IT job growth is slow. Not focused on internal development.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on internally making use of all your data and expertise. Don't outsource it all. Figure out how to excite people.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Drastic culture change -a Me two- instead of Number 1/2 , with less quality and more desperation

Program Coordinator (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsGreat patients ,unfortunately very vunerable when they arrive and often bombarded with request to partipate in poorly written research studies.

ConsHemorraghing experienced staff physicians- -left instituition last 5-6 years. Many research staff positions unsustainable, layoffs frequent (best kept secret) Ask many's ie.how many have been in position last 10years and why they are not there now.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is a culture change, lack of respect for staff and ,rumbling , restlessness,increasing the last 3 years.

IT review

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAlways being busy and having many projects to work on

ConsPoor management and direction, often allowing customers to dictate IT structure

Great place to work for first time job experience

ProsGet exposed t wide range of responsibilities and obtain skills. Plenty of opportunities to learn new skill and progress

ConsSometime the size of the institution can be daunting to adjust. One needs to put a lot of effort to adapt to a highly regulated hospital industry.

M.D. Anderson is a great institution dedicated to curing cancer

Instructor Research Faculty Appointment (Current Employee) Smithville, TX (US)

ProsStable company with outstanding leadership and strong core values. Annual reviews foster career development. Institutional survey's encourage change as needed. Pleasant work colleagues and professional support.

ConsDifficult to promote through the ranks in academia from postdoc to Asst. Professor, but opportunities are still available.

Advice to Senior ManagementPostdocs are a valuable resource, not just for the moment but for a longer tenure when given challenging tasks that are validated by appropriate title changes and compensation.

Great company, great people to work with

ProsThe people who do the research are passionate about the work. Employees are comforting and caring to customers and have a big heart. They are very driven to help with the diagnosis, treatment and follow-up with patience.

ConsThere are some employees so driven at their job that they are resistant to small interruptions. Some doctors can be rude, but most are not.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to say no. Many doctors seem to be told so much that they balk when you tell them any form of no

Into MK Ultra

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPractices MK Ultra in collaberation with other schools of medicine. Inhumane, unethical, derelict in spending of grant money. Then on the bright side they feed you alot, have huge extravagant blow out parties, take you out to eat alot.

ConsThey are all now from this strange Massachussets democratic mentality. If you vote Republican they will terminate you.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo your own damage control for when you get overhelmed.

Can't imagine a better place to work as a nurse

Clinical Nurse (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsGreat nursing culture, large hospital with many resources, plenty of room for growth within the organization. Best pay and benefits for nurses. Teacher's retirement pension plan can't be beat. Money for you to go back to school $5200/yr on top of your salary.

ConsDivision of nursing has been implementing some strict nursing policies on dress code and time and attendance. There is a point system for being late, forgetting to clock in, calling in sick, etc. If you accrue too many points it can affect your ability to receive salary increases and job transfers. DePinho has given MDA a very bad image. Tired of the negative press that he has brought.

Worked for MD Anderson? Contribute to the Community!