MD Anderson

MD Anderson Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

MD Anderson President Ronald A. DePinho

Ronald A. DePinho

Pros
  • Work efforts are not challenging so its easy to maintain a work-life balance(in 18 reviews)

• Work-life balance, great benefits, opportunity to work with people who come different backgrounds(in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • We had to pay for parking and in my opinion it was too much(in 7 reviews)

• Work-life balance was not a priority of my direct supervisor(in 5 reviews)

instructor

Instructor (Former Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsNo.1 Cancer Center in the US

ConsThe whole institution is like in a communist country. Big, slow, low efficiency. And the HR workers always treat ordinary employees in a bad way.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo.

Overall great employees to work with, great benefits

Patient Services Coordinator (Former Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsWork with some great and diverse people, the new facilities are nice, commitment to those wanting to further their education

Consfood quality depends on where you are on campus, it's a crap shoot in terms of management within the various departments. Some are great some suck.

Dynamic, fast-paced environment that places its top priority on patient care and patient services.

Research Assistant II (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsThe benefits are probably the best in the Texas Medical Center, and the hours are usually properly structured and managed.

ConsThe opportunities for raises and/or advancement are very strictly structured and follow very specific guidelines, so while it's not impossible to move up and/or branch out, it takes a very long time.

It is very difficult to branch out into/learn about any area which does not EXACTLY match your specific job's description.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

M.D. Anderson is a great place to work and do research

Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsAccess to several different cafeterias, In place gym membership for all employees competitive salaries, with dedicated and hard workers.

ConsSome times political issues cloud the overall temperament of the institution. It is some times too competitive for newly established faculty

Overall a great experience.

ProsI've gained a tremendous amount of experience and met some great people. The core values and the attitude of most of the employees is a huge plus. The flex schedules are also helpful. Great benefits.

ConsThe politics and resistance to change are ridiculous. The HR department is also not very effective. A lot of ineffective people have been brought in for jobs while qualified people have been turned down on minor technicalities. Also, they do not deal with "problem children" very well.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop rewarding bad behavior and poor performance. Give management more control over who they hire rather than relying on ineffective computer-based "assessments".

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Houston, TX (US)

Prosopportunities to gain experience and to have a job with a higher purpose

Conssalary lower than same position at other organizations.

Advice to Senior Managementcommunication with employees and advancement is very important

So far... so good...

ProsContracting pays well and the stress compared to other places is little to none.

ConsFor contractors, you have to hope funding comes in for your project to stay on.

Advice to Senior ManagementHigher contractors as full-time employees.

Good IT working Experience in general

Applications Systems Analyst (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsIt is a big organization, lots of learning opportunities

ConsCentral IS is quite a bureaucratic place

Gave me a great foundation

Clinical Nurse (Former Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsThey really build you up as a professional and give you the resources you need to succeed

ConsIt is such a big institution, sometimes it lacks intimacy with working with others in different departments

Excellent work environment

Public Affairs (Former Employee) Houston, TX (US)

Pros-Mission-driven: everyone celebrates and appreciates the hospital mission to "Cure Cancer"
    -Salary
    -Flexible schedules
    -Employee health benefits

Cons-Limited promotional opportunities
    -Must pay for parking

Worked for MD Anderson? Contribute to the Community!