MD Anderson Cancer Center

Updated 17 December, 2014
3.6

MD Anderson Cancer Center President Ronald A. DePinho
Ronald A. DePinho

Pros
  • Work efforts are not challenging so its easy to maintain a work-life balance (in 23 reviews)

• Great benefits, good place to work if supervisor is good (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • PAID PARKING IS THE WORST, OTHER FACILITIES PAY FOR PARKING FOR EMPLOYESS (in 7 reviews)

• Work-life balance was not a priority of my direct supervisor (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Wish I knew BEFORE i took this job

Current Employee - Nurse in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Nurse in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (less than an year)

Pros

benefits. nothing else besides that.

Cons

low pay.
    parking. I just got hired on yesterday and they tell us I have to walk to my building which is outside more than a block away. if it rains they said carry an umbrella. NONE of this was told to me before I accepted a position there. I will be looking for another position near me in which EMPLOYEES are respected. This is a bunch of you know what.

employees should be able to use the shuttle not just those who work in the 1MC building. I shouldn't have to walk to my building like I'm some college student. That's not what i signed up for. Way to go md anderson. that's sarcasm...

Great experience at MD Anderson! Ambition can take you in so many paths here.

Current Employee - Research Data Coordinator in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Research Data Coordinator in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Many resources for all employee needs and support. Professional and friendly environment. Exclusive events for contributing to community(s)

Cons

Before & after work traffic, parking fees, the new evaluation system (2014)

Its all who you KNOW that makes you a success here, not how much you know.

I worked at MD Anderson Cancer Center

Pros

working for the state I guess.

Cons

Its ALL who you know. If your connected to the right higher ups, then your sure to get great pay, pay raises and slack. You can also get a great deal after you retire. For example, before you retire, set up a scam for a part time job that pays pretty close to what your currently being paid. Knock it down a little. For example lets say you make approximately $120,000 / yr. Knock you part time pay to around $83,000 - $99,000 with your connected higher ups. After you retire, wait 6 months and your previously discussed part time position will magically appear and be posted for you to slip your new application in. Why does everyone in the scam wait until six months past? Well its because they will not pay out medical insurance on a part time employee. But why would a retired person not want medical insurance? If you retire from MD Anderson, you get paid medical insurance after retirement. So, you wouldn't need it. This crap is very very common. Maybe not all of MD Anderson, but maybe a place off on its own little island.

Be fair. Work. Stop sitting around and collecting government benefits and high, ridiculous, undeserved pay that the working class is paying for and institutions like NIH is funding millions to.

Ok,lots of opportunities when "red tape" is avoided.

Current Employee - Diagnostic Imaging Services Coordinator in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Diagnostic Imaging Services Coordinator in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Room for growth, great group of people, ok benefits

Cons

Lots of politics,lots of deductions from check, pay for own parking

Neutral

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time

Pros

The benefits are outstanding, the employees are nice, the environment is relaxed.

Cons

Managers in some departments are aware of policies and procedures. It's extremely difficult to move up within MD Anderson unless you know someone or highly qualified.

Bad management

Former Employee - Clinical Pharmacy Specialist in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Clinical Pharmacy Specialist in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked with some great colleagues

Cons

Management was not cognoscente of the needs of the employees.

Good experience low pay.

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The experienced and knowledge that you acquire are top notch. Insurance is very good.

Cons

Very low pay. Management makes you jump through hoops to give you pennies. They feel that you being employed by MD is good enough. In order to make more money you would have to leave then come back, which is ridiculous. The only reason most people stay is because they are up in age and are in their comfort zone and have been there over 15 yrs. Diagnostic Imaging has a huge turnover. The technologist are getting tired of all the BS.

The prestige of working at MD is not the only thing people need in life, they need good salaries.

You hate it or love it depending on which department you are working in

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Health Benefits are great
    Salary
    They put into the teachers retirement and Social security.

Cons

Poor management
    Corporate corruption
    little job security depending on your position
    Some people that need to be fired may not be fired because they are female or black despite being horrible
    Promotion is mostly based on what looks good for the company as opposed to who deserves it

Managers should be promoted based on who is better able to do the job as opposed to those who have worked at the company for 20 or more years. Sometimes those individuals have poor management skills. Classes are offered but some individuals do not have the qualities or personality to be a better manager. Also during another recession the company should also cut from the top to save money. It does not make sense to fire individuals who are needed on the bottom, tell people who have traveling benefits they can't travel on the companies money and then allow the President to be escorted to the airport and pay for him to fly out every weekend to his second home. Next, there should be a better outside agency to help with issues inside the company. Corporate corruption is bad and for a non-profit organization it taints the companies reputation.

Nepotism, Bullying, Sexual Harassment, Religious/Racial Prejudice, Retaliation for Reporting Compliance Violations

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Salary and Benefits. Many excellent treatment opportunities for patients.

Cons

In the 18 years I worked at MDA before successfully retiring with excellent retirement benefits, I witnessed massive financial waste, nepotism, bullying, sexual harassment, religious and racial prejudice, and retaliation for reporting compliance violations. Additionally, the administration has been historically very poor with HR ignoring many complaints. Nepotism is rampant and there are the many inappropriate public displays of affection between employees including attending physicians who openly solicit personal relationships with other physicians as well as employees working under them including vulnerable new fellows who rely on these attending physicians for good reviews and future employment. I witnessed many examples of inappropriate public displays of affection as well as bullying and sexual harassment. I also witnessed compliance violations that, when they were reported, resulted in retaliation against the employee reporting the violation. I watched management in quite a few departments frequently abuse, bully, and harass excellent employees.

The administration needs to implement and not just give lip service to MD Anderson policies of zero tolerance for bullying, sexual harassment, religious/racial prejudice, and retaliation for reporting compliance violations The financial waste needs to be corrected before the institution has to close its doors.

Everything is great about this company.

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work life balance, Benefits, leadership, coworker relationships, free trainings on everything.

Cons

Parking is expensive, pay could be more specially for med center being number 1 in everything.

MD Anderson Cancer Center Photos