M. D. Anderson Cancer Center

M. D. Anderson Cancer Center Reviews

Updated Apr 19, 2014

M. D. Anderson Cancer Center President Ronald A. DePinho

Ronald A. DePinho

Pros:
  • "Work efforts are not challenging so its easy to maintain a work-life balance"
    in 13 reviews
  • "Work-life balance, great benefits, opportunity to work with people who come different backgrounds"
    in 22 reviews
Cons:
  • "We had to pay for parking and in my opinion it was too much"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Some people have lost their jobs due ot poor management and budget cuts"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great benefits, always busy

I have been working at M. D. Anderson Cancer Center

ProsLot of opportunities to get better

ConsBusy day, maybe little pressure

Advice to Senior Management1 more week vacation

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Neither here nor there

I have been working at M. D. Anderson Cancer Center

ProsThey have a powerful mission- making cancer history. It makes you feel like your a part of something huge, bigger than yourself

ConsBureaucracy, red tape, you could get in your work and just keep going 'cause everyone is too busy to stop for a minute. The skills are present, personality? especially when it comes to interdepartmental stuff?....it could be better.

A state agent style company

Applications Systems Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at M. D. Anderson Cancer Center full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPay rate comparing to Industry

Conspoor management and communication to employee

Advice to Senior ManagementState agent outsourcing to India?

A great place to work

Physician (Current Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at M. D. Anderson Cancer Center full-time for less than a year

ProsPeople stay here forever. It's a happy hospital. You work with people who are the top in their field almost all the time.

ConsIt is concerned with maintaining it's position as #1 cancer center in America. There is some beaurocracy with that. Health insurance policy is only ok.

Advice to Senior ManagementAn extra week of vacation, please!

Good.

I have been working at M. D. Anderson Cancer Center

ProsGood funding, nice working environment, safe.

ConsHave not noticed any really.

I have been working at M. D. Anderson Cancer Center full-time for more than 4 years

Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at M. D. Anderson Cancer Center full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAs a research appointment, there is a strong motivation being housed in the hospital with exposure to patients and their families. The core facilities (sequencing, histology, vet med) are all top notch. The compliance and grant offices are responsive to questions and willing to help.

ConsDepartmental support is variable. Adequate external funding is a must for continued work. Neither of these are isolated to MDACC, but both do occur here.

Dynamic, fast-paced environment that places its top priority on patient care and patient services.

Research Assistant II (Current Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at M. D. Anderson Cancer Center full-time for more than a year

ProsThe benefits are probably the best in the Texas Medical Center, and the hours are usually properly structured and managed.

ConsThe opportunities for raises and/or advancement are very strictly structured and follow very specific guidelines, so while it's not impossible to move up and/or branch out, it takes a very long time.

It is very difficult to branch out into/learn about any area which does not EXACTLY match your specific job's description.

Overall great employees to work with, great benefits

Patient Services Coordinator (Former Employee)

I worked at M. D. Anderson Cancer Center full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWork with some great and diverse people, the new facilities are nice, commitment to those wanting to further their education

Consfood quality depends on where you are on campus, it's a crap shoot in terms of management within the various departments. Some are great some suck.

M.D. Anderson is a great place to work and do research

Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

ProsAccess to several different cafeterias, In place gym membership for all employees competitive salaries, with dedicated and hard workers.

ConsSome times political issues cloud the overall temperament of the institution. It is some times too competitive for newly established faculty

Overall a great experience.

I have been working at M. D. Anderson Cancer Center

ProsI've gained a tremendous amount of experience and met some great people. The core values and the attitude of most of the employees is a huge plus. The flex schedules are also helpful. Great benefits.

ConsThe politics and resistance to change are ridiculous. The HR department is also not very effective. A lot of ineffective people have been brought in for jobs while qualified people have been turned down on minor technicalities. Also, they do not deal with "problem children" very well.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop rewarding bad behavior and poor performance. Give management more control over who they hire rather than relying on ineffective computer-based "assessments".

Worked for M. D. Anderson Cancer Center? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at M. D. Anderson Cancer Center reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for M. D. Anderson Cancer Center CEO Ronald A. DePinho. All 245 reviews are posted anonymously by M. D. Anderson Cancer Center employees.