Lowe's

3.3 3,738 reviews

Lowe's Chairman and CEO Robert A. Niblock

Robert A. Niblock

(1,398 ratings)

Pros
  • They have very good benefits to help in this rough economy(in 228 reviews)

• Working for Lowe's provides decent benefits and a good pay for retail(in 209 reviews)

Cons
  • Retail hours and commitment makes the work-life balance difficult to achieve(in 73 reviews)

• You can't keep a steady sleep schedule as a part-time or full-time employee(in 150 reviews)

3,738 Employee Reviews

cashire

Cashier (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

Prosgood work life balance and good ppl to work with

Consnot enough hours and eveery weekend to work and schedule upa nd down

Advice to Senior Managementnothing good managers and leaders

Depressing Experience

Lowe's Front End (Former Employee) Calgary, AB

ProsNice people, clean environment, camaraderie amongst lower echelon of staff was nice to see.

ConsManagement does not care about your life outside the store, it tends to be soul-sucking. If you have conflicts of interest with scheduling and need an accommodation, especially when it concerns needing to take care of your child, they do not care. They did not train me on the job I was meant to do, gave hardly any guidance, and then all of a sudden get rid of me three weeks into it for no apparent reason. If that's how they treat the employees that actually do their job properly, God help the ones that don't. They had me working 40hr weeks as seasonal, so that's how they got out of giving me benefits, they screwed up on my payroll, it was so disorganized and such a mess.

Decent job

Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) Edmonton, AB

ProsDecent pay, fair breaks, room for promotions

ConsSo many policies to follow and managers are very strict about following them, customer service can get very complicated, computer system is horrible

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No point going above and beyond, no one will appreciate it

Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsOne of the best salaries in retail
    Large store and variety of positions means many opportunities to move up
    Opportunity to learn a lot, if you apply yourself

ConsThis company is a huge mixed bag - things are either great or incredibly crappy, with not much in between. Yes, you get paid a much better salary than you would at any other location, but it's kind of necessary for the amount of trouble you have to put up with.

Firstly, everyone there is incredibly overworked. Management gets their hours quota from head office, and is often forced to cut hours, especially once the peak season dies down. The result of this is that you're expected to get the same amount of work done while having less than half the people. God forbid if someone calls in sick - one person will be stuck covering multiple departments and will have to work on the daily tasks for both. Management doesn't get that this is a problem, and many of them aren't particularly inclined to help. If a customer gets mad that they had to wait for help, it is somehow your fault, even though the customer:employee ratio is like 10:1 in your area. On top of this, the operating hours are very lengthy. I started shifts as early as 5:30AM and ended at 11PM or 11:30.

Same with coworkers, since everyone is feeling overworked, nobody wants to take the initiative to help out or do anything extra. Most have very little motivation and will often leave the moment their shift is done and pass on all their outstanding work to you. If you're the one worker who actually wants to work, you will find yourself consistently doing a disproportionate amount of work. Worst thing is, you will not get recognized for it - management is not there to see it majority of the time, and if they do, they dont particularly care - it's part of your job.

Management in general isn't great, but I suppose that's a luck of the draw. Some are wonderful and will go out of their way to help you, but these people get quickly promoted and leave the store for better positions in the company. Most will just sit in their office all day, making any possible excuse to not have to come out and deal with problems. It's very difficult to work with these people, because in some situations you can't properly help your customers without their approval, and the manager just refuses to get involved. You are frequently caught in situations where you can't make either the customers or the manger happy. Also, there are a lot of blame games: when something goes wrong, it has to be someone's fault, and everyone, management and workers alike, will not take responsibility and try to throw the blame somewhere else.

Last thing about management - they are ridiculously cliquey. I guess it's this way everywhere to some degree, but unless you're good at small talk and kissing up to them, they won't even look in your direction. There are certain groups of people who can get away with almost anything, since they are friendly with management. It's highly unfair. But, if you're liked, you'll never have a problem getting anything you want.

Expect to be doing a lot of learning yourself. The orientation is pretty helpful, but after that you're more or less on your own. Nobody will ever offer you any kinds of developmental opportunities unless you take them yourself. You have to find time in your day to train yourself, pretty much. On that note, the policy and procedure manual at this store is ridiculously lengthy. There is a policy for literally everything that you will do. If you are found to breaking one of these thousand rules, you're gonna be in trouble quickly.

The turnover here is pretty high, just like in other retail. However, I've never seen such a large amount of people getting arbitrarily fired. One day you can be perfect and be praised - next day, you're out the door for no apparent reason. Anyone can go at any time - everyone is replaceable.

Also, scheduling is pretty ridiculous. Unless you're a full-time employee on corporate rotation, your scheduling will probably be incredibly unfair. There are some people who have worked 2-11 shifts for months on end. You can be scheduled up to 10 days in a row. It's just an incredibly draining job, both physically and mentally. You are lugging heavy boxes all day long and get in trouble for everything. On the same note, getting time off is very hard, especially if it's peak season. People have been denied time off for exams or trips that they've been planning for months - it's just not acceptable. I really think they do it sometimes so that they have an excuse to get rid of you. Oh, you did show up to work because you had an exam? Well tough luck, we don't need workers who won't come in for their shifts.

Just the same, a lot of employees who are hired as "peak" or "part-time" more often than not find themselves working full-time hours without receiving any of the benefits a full-timer would get, including bonuses and benefits. There are some who have been working this way for years, waiting for a full-time position to open up, just to have it filled with an external candidate. By the way - they won't actually ever tell you if you're not doing a great job, they'll just pass you up for promotional opportunities for no apparent reason, and if you want to discuss it they won't give you an honest answer either.

While this is the least of my concern considering everything else, the uniform isnt great either. You are pretty much limited to jeans and a shirt, and have to wear heavy safety shoes. Management is incredibly strict about uniform. If you wear a t-shirt whose sleeves are a little short, they will make you go home and change. In the summer you're constantly sweating in your jeans, and you're just dirty and gross by the end of the day. You're allowed to wear knee-length shorts, but only if they're khaki - no other color.

Unless you're a student looking for some part-time work, I really would not recommend this job to anyone else. You go through a lot of stress and trouble, and the benefits of the job don't really make up for everything else. Apply with caution.

Advice to Senior ManagementWould appreciate if management took more of an interest in their departments, rather than hiding away in their offices and expecting everything to get done. Also, it would help them do a proper performance review - don't see how they can know anyone's skills or capabilities if they are not there to see them work. Basically, spend more time with your employees!

Not a bad job

Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) London, ON

Pros- flexible hours
    - not constantly supervised
    - decent management
    - Get to choose when you take your lunch and rest breaks

Cons- Hard to move up in the company
    - Little training is provided on the products you sell
    - Expected to perform the same duties as specialists for much less pay

Advice to Senior Management- Promote from within more often
    - offer more training
    - take more steps to retain good employees

Always store politics, but a great job!

Head Cashier (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsPay is decent, hours are decent, training is good, Nice atmosphere, and other associates are good to work with, there are always a select few that bring the drama and cause issues in the work place, but overall good team unity.

Consstore politics and drama, not easy to move up or attain part time or full time status if hired as a peak associate.

Advice to Senior Managementadd opportunities to move up or attain part time full time status. create more staff incentives.

Great opportunities and training

ProsOffers great opportunities if you work hard. Has great (free) training programs. Learn skills for real life situations.

ConsAs retail, hires at low starting pay - can end up kissing a lot of toads. The Seasonal employee program releases good talent at the end of the summer (instead of firing people that need to go).

Advice to Senior ManagementPositive thinking is the way to go.

Retail can be tough as nails

ProsThe people you work with can be great; the benefits are amazing; some customers are genuinely nice and you want to help them out

ConsRetail isn't always easy; customers are easily frustrated and take it out on the front line associates who are just trying to help. Management doesn't always back you up when you say no to a customer - customer is NOT always right.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement doesn't always understand how to run the customer service/cashier front end - no matter how much experience they have, if they have never worked at the customer service desk before they don't know how tough it is. Appreciate your people and hire more people!

New store opening was great then relationships took over

Sales Specialist (Current Employee) Windsor, ON

ProsThe company is great, offers many benefits to employees

ConsThe varied hours on shifts didn't make sense and could not be changed

Advice to Senior ManagementLet people work a standard shift if it helps their family

Great work experience

Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) Maple, ON

ProsExcellent working environment for students. Friendly and knowledgeable employees and management is second to none. Company values educating employees on products and customer service. Stores are clean and well maintained making it a clean and safe space for employees

ConsWeekend shift mandatory for some employment types, which may be an inconvenience to some

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat management

Worked for Lowe's? Contribute to the Community!