Lowe's Reviews

5,389 Reviews
Lowe's Chairman and CEO Robert A. Niblock
Robert A. Niblock
2,053 Ratings

Pros
  • Working for Lowe's provides decent benefits and a good pay for retail (in 288 reviews)

• The pay is decent for anybody looking for a retail job and they have good benefits as well (in 273 reviews)

Cons
  • there's no work-life balance as an employee classified as a store level manager (in 95 reviews)

• Have to be full time worker in order to be eligible for tuition reimbursement (in 178 reviews)

1. Culture

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Lowe's

Pros

Fun environment to work with

Cons

None that I can think of

Advice to Management

None

2. There were good and bad times like any company

I worked at Lowe's

Pros

New to Canada. Plenty of growth opportunity.

Cons

Hours are long. Hasn't expanded as quickly as anticipated

Advice to Management

More conscientious with work life balance

I got injured on the job and was immediately fired

Current Employee - General Loader in Milton, ON
    Current Employee - General Loader in Milton, ON

I have been working at Lowe's

Pros

They have a somewhat lighthearted work environment.

Cons

On my 9th day working for Lowe's Distribution warehouse in Milton Ontario, I was asked to unload a truck all by myself because the previous night shift had packed it poorly.

As I was pulling a box out from the very top of the trailer, another relatively heavy box fell down and hit me squarely on my head, right on the corner of the box - OUCH!!!

A few minutes later, a co-worker told be there was a bleeding welt on top of my head and that I should report it immediately to a Manager. I immediately told the Loader Manager I had a bleeding gash on my head. He casually told me to keep him updated on how I felt and didn't seem too concerned.

The agency that sent me to Lowe's told me specifically not to lift anything over 50lbs by myself. But as a General Loader, I was routinely expected to move items weighing up to 170lbs. Further, inside the tractor trailers I was loading I was expected to climb up to 10 feet in the air to pack boxes,and almost fell several times.

Lowe's had steps for us to stand on but they were only 2 steps high. I was told by another worker that the reason they were so short was because Ontario Ministry of Labor had rules that climbing higher was unsafe.

When I started wearing an elastic elbow brace and told a Manager that my elbows were starting to get sore from all the heavy lifting, he told me to ask for help from the other loaders.

When I asked another loader to help me lift, who at the time was helping a Senior Loader, the Senior Loader suddenly got agitated because I had asked his helper to help me.

A few minutes later, the Loader Manager and another Manager, came to me and said I'm not a good fit for the job - I was then immediately let go and walked to the front door with the gash on my head still bleeding. My head started to ache later in the day and as I was driving home I felt woozy and had to stop the car to be sick.

I'm still surprised they fired me though, was because I worked "really" hard and loaded lots of product for them. Further, I did all the unsafe things they told me to do without a single complaint. I didn't even complain when my elbows got sore and I spent $50 of my own money on an elbow brace.

I believe the managers at Lowe's acted unprofessionally. Although, from what I understand, they all started as loaders and worked their way up so are not necessarily professional managers. I could tell they are under huge pressure to hit deadlines, budgets, KPI's, etc. The vast majority of their workforce are landed immigrants who are less likely than me to complain. This is probably why they are able to get away with their unsafe work practices.

My first thought when I was fired was actually one of relief.

I would not personally recommend anyone else work at Lowe's Distribution Warehouse in Milton ON - that's just my opinion.

Advice to Management

Talk to your legal counsel.

5. Decent place of work

Former Employee - CSA in New Westminster, BC
    Former Employee - CSA in New Westminster, BC

I worked at Lowe's full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Relatively good pay for the type of work

Good atmosphere - at the one I worked at anyways

Cons

No commission

usually short staffed

530am start one day and 2pm start the next

Don't actually give you your yearly review/raise even when asked about it

Advice to Management

consistent scheduling

make more attempts to keep model employees happy

6. as good as any

I have been working at Lowe's part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I like what I do

Cons

pay is horrible. no bonuses

7. It was an experience to say the least

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Ottawa, ON
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Ottawa, ON

I worked at Lowe's part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Learned a lot about the ins and outs of retail, demanding job with a variety of different aspects to it.

Cons

A lot of people didn't show up for work, so shifts had to be covered a lot of the time/

Advice to Management

Hire more responsible loaders

8. I was treated very fairly by the company. Acknowlegment of customer service frequently provided.

Former Contractor - Seasonal Inside Lawn & Garden in London, ON
    Former Contractor - Seasonal Inside Lawn & Garden in London, ON

I worked at Lowe's as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Management has an open door policy and value what employees have to say. Staff are friendly to both colleagues and customers.

Cons

A big challenge for me was when the department I worked in was understaffed. It left me frustrated that I was unable to provide customers the service they deserved.

9. Fair

Current Employee - Sales Specialist Millwork in Scarborough, ON
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist Millwork in Scarborough, ON

I have been working at Lowe's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, Nice team mates

Cons

Hard To Get Promoted if you are too valuable for company as sales specialist and selling very well.

Advice to Management

Promote your sales specialists as Managers instead of having interest to gain only more sales from them.

Strong management, great pay. - N. E. Edmonton

Current Employee - Department Manager in Edmonton, AB

I have been working at Lowe's full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Lowes provides huge room to climb the corporate ladder, if that's your intention. The company is growing strong in Canada. It takes most people about 6 months of being employed to really see the potential with Lowes, but when it's realized, you see a huge change in how those view the company. The pay is slightly higher then most retailers at entry level, but moving into management positions is where the real money can be made.
    The company is growing more each day and has a great incentive program in place for those willing to actually care about coming to work. The team spirit is great and I strongly encourage anyone with a positive attitude to apply.

Cons

Like most retailers, the hours can take a toll. As there are very few positions in the store that actually maintain the same shift everyday, expect to have fluctuations in your schedule. The 3 most common shifts are 6am-3pm, 10am-7pm, or 2pm-11pm.

11. Exceptional

Current Employee - Department Manager in Edmonton, AB

I have been working at Lowe's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great staff, value customer service. The company believes in superior customer service which is the mandate of the employees. The company also has the best customers I might add.

Cons

Cons for this job are generic to retail. Retail hours are usually non ideal, however there are departments that offer stability in hours. Pros far outweigh the cons.

Advice to Management

"Never stop improving" company slogan