Lockton Companies

Updated 13 October, 2014
3.8

Lockton Companies CEO and President John L. Lumelleau
John L. Lumelleau

Pros
  • Good hours, people, work life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Lockton is a fun, fast paced work environment that allows you to set your own career path and goals (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is nonexistent for employees in a supporting/shared services role (in 13 reviews)

• No opportunity to work from home or remotely, even just occasionally (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Not a good place to start your career

I worked at Lockton Companies

Pros

biggest privately owned insurance broker worldwide

Cons

very cheap salaries and little to no room for advancement

Great place to work

Former Employee - Summer Associate in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Summer Associate in Kansas City, MO (US)

I worked at Lockton Companies as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great office culture, competitive benefits, room for growth. There are lots of very nice people that work there. They provide great hands-on training. Industry knowledge is unmatched. Commitment to customers is incredible.

Cons

Not very technologically friendly. The producers are partners, therefore they control a lot of the operations instead of just selling. Starting compensation is relatively low compared to others in the industry.

Highly recommend

I have been working at Lockton Companies full-time

Pros

Great place to work. Fun environment, hard work is rewarded and a lot of opportunity for growth.

Cons

Work/life balance can be a challenge at times.

Company services clients well, but treats employees poorly.

I have been working at Lockton Companies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Truly embodies the "We live service" motto, but at the expense of the employee.

Cons

Zero work life balance. Get ready to work 80 hours a week to meet expectations. Expect a client list that is too long to manage. Pay is low.

Project Coordinator Role

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Lockton Companies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The project coordinator role or "PC" is the entry level position for a typical college graduate at Lockton. It is a great role and if you do do well you can advance quickly to a Account Manager position or "AM." Lockton offers great opportunities and training programs and has a great team atmosphere. At the Los Angeles office the majority of departments are very motivated and work well together. If you are still in school I would recommend first checking out Lockton internships to get a feel for the company. One of the best programs that Lockton offers is their Associate Account Manager program. The "AAM" program is a fully paid program and you switch with various teams and learn with experienced account managers. This is very similar to going to school and you receive on the job training.

Cons

The work life balance is average and is similar to most insurance carriers and big brokerages. I would also like to point out that each team is a different world and there are "better" teams within Lockton in terms of training and work ethic. I felt the PC training was very little and I feel that that PC's should receive more in depth training. This will result in better insurance knowledge and growth. Also, I recommend for all recent PC's to take lots of notes and be prepared to do lots of Excel work.

The Lockton Los Angeles office overall, is a fantastic work place and you will learn a lot about insurance. I recommend that the PC's receive more in depth training, I feel this will result in a better more knowledgeable associate. I also recommend for upper management to listen to any Lockton employee complaints. I felt at times many high position people got away with very rude behavior. If you feel something is wrong in your team do not be afraid to report to HR.

Company believes in their Associates

Current Employee - Content Design Specialist in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Content Design Specialist in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Lockton Companies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fantastic company. Recently found myself feeling stagnated in my current role, and received an incredible amount of support and encouragement to start searching out a role that would be a better fit. This company believes in working hard and playing even harder. If you put in the effort you will be rewarded.

Cons

Definitely can feel like a heavy workload from time to time. You can sometimes feel like you don't have a lot of direction, but Lockton believes in testing you and making you earn your keep.

Intern

Current Employee - Intern in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Intern in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Lockton Companies as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Fantastic company culture. My entire department was very willing to take the time out of their busy schedule to help me grasp the basics of the insurance I was involved in.

Cons

Still very much feels like an "Old Boys" club. Most of the associates (what they call their employees) are white with very little diversity mixed in.

Injury Counselor

Current Employee - Injury Counselor in Denver, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Injury Counselor in Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at Lockton Companies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great people, great company, competitive, great managers, professional atmosphere.

Cons

Sometimes heavy on work load, other times not enough to do. Still there are opportunities to work on projects and classes when not as much to do.

Keep up the good work!

Work hard and get reward, but do something wrong and get let go with no warning

Current Employee - Associate Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Lockton Companies (less than an year)

Pros

paid training, benefits, and opportunities to involve yourself at work and after.

Cons

no direction, strict management, fire easily

Listen to your associates and interns; if we are to be the face of the company sometimes compassion and adaption to different needs can grow the strongest of candidates, however letting others go without warning is a way to keep people afraid of taking risks and moving forward with growth opportunities.

Professional, No Bureaucracy, team oriented winning organization

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Lockton Companies full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It is a place of constant learning and evolution with a lot of great people who are concerned with taking care of the client. Being privately held means we do not have artificial pressures which take us away from doing what is right for the long term.

Cons

The firm has been slow to embracing technology to be more nimble and cutting edge to drive efficiency. The firm very recently started implementing new initiatives and the payoff should start to show in the next 12 - 18 months. I think we can do more after those initiatives are implemented.

It would be awesome if Lockton was an ESOP which would tie our Associates closer to the results of the hard work.

Lockton Companies Photos