Lockheed Martin

Updated Jul 25, 2014

3.4 2,223 reviews

Lockheed Martin President & COO Marillyn Hewson

Marillyn Hewson

Pros
  • This is really a wonderful place for a working mother - great work/life balance(in 199 reviews)

• 9/80 work schedules for many a real plus (alternate Fridays off)(in 84 reviews)

Cons
  • Depending on the program your work life balance can suffer(in 46 reviews)

• This is a large company with all the usual shortfalls of management(in 68 reviews)

2,223 Employee Reviews

Great Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat culture, fantastic brilliant people to work with. Always look forward to going in to work everyday. No micromanagement, and competitive salary.

ConsNot a lot of room for growth, small company competing in a gigantic market with billion dollar companies. Steep learning curve to get into the industry.

Terrible management, poor compensation, zero reward, slave factory.

Member Technical Staff (Former Employee) Montreal, QC

ProsYou can quit at anytime.

ConsSlave factory
    No raises
    Consistently asked to work over time
    Only people who work overtime are promoted
    Lots of favoritism
    Most managers are not technical but insist in making technical decisions
    Cheap, cheap, cheap. Won't even buy you a pencil.
    Archaic development practices
    Bullying tactics used by managers

Advice to Senior ManagementEducate yourself on modern software development and stop bullying your employees. Reward those to do the real work rather than those to talk the talk.

Make sure you don't end up on an off-site program'

Associate Software Developer (Current Employee) Halifax, NS

ProsGreat people, managers are approachable and friendly. Good benefits, good pension.

ConsOnce you are on an off-site program you do not hear anything about other opportunities on other programs. You get isolated and program managers do not want to lose you so you are not told about other programs. As well since you are not in a main location managers from outside your program have no clue who you are.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate program opportunities to all employees. You never know what skills are out there and who might be an awesome fit if you don't ask. To many managers just slot in people they know into new projects without finding out what is out there.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Software Engineer

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Montreal, QC

ProsVery interesting work environment with a lot of very smart people. Willing to develop talent.

ConsLimited scope of work to defense and military contracts.

I have wonderful coworkers, and amazing boss and perfect job tasks for my level and expectations.

Multi Functional Financial Analyst Asc (Current Employee) Fort Worth, TX (US)

ProsLM has a 9/80 schedule which is so convenient! The hours are great - OT is only needed for special projects and end-of-year closing. Each month we can accrue 10 hours of vacation time, and this never expires. Another perk of this company is how easy it is to talk to upper management. This has improved over the last several years.

ConsThe insurance benefits could definitely be better. I have heard the coverage use to be better, but now it covers less. For people with children on their insurance, it almost feels like the insurance is useless. Another disadvantage is the time it takes to get a promotion. Going from a level 1 to a level 2 takes about 4 years, and from a level 2 to a level 3 takes even longer.

Advice to Senior ManagementA lot of complaints about not able to get a promotion are due to the lack of budget. Why do other aspects of the company seem to have a bigger budget since they are able to do promotions more often? Maybe we could cut back on hiring retired VPs that come back as overpaid consultants, and use that part of the budget for better use towards current employees!

Future?

ProsGood People, decent pay, good training

ConsLack of contracts and a future

Highest standard, slowest promotions

Project Specialist Senior Staff (Current Employee)

ProsI've worked with many in leadership positions in Mission Systems and Training and to a great extent, they mean what they say about having integrity and delivering the right results for the customer. Schedule depends on the manager; mine gives me the autonomy and flexibility I need to run my job and my life without second-guessing.

ConsDefinite ethos of "pay your dues". Promotions are slow, and opportunities for promotions are rare, mainly due to the current lack of overall unit growth. Not easy to switch units either.

My experience with Lockheed Martin has been a very rewarding experience where the positve experiences surpass the neg.

Electronics Engineer (Current Employee) Kant (Kyrgyzstan)

ProsThe Lockheed Martin culture creates an atmosphere that provides all the tools for an individuals success. How successful one becomes depends on the effort of an to heach his/ her goals.

ConsBecause Lockheed Martin is such a large company one can become a number and be overlooked for potential promotion and opportunity based on individual seniority status

Advice to Senior ManagementPast performance and potential for success should be given careful consideration on a case by case basis when selections for promotion opportunities are made.

Great company to work and retire

Network Engineer (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD (US)

ProsLockheed martin gives you opportunity to grow

ConsToo big for every employees opinion to matter

Lockheed Martin

Mechanical Designer/Drafter (Current Employee) West Palm Beach, FL (US)

ProsVery good environment to work in. Very flexible when it comes to hours worked. Well managed and organized.

ConsNeed more training! Need to strive for quality of work and not do things wrong because of time and budget constraints.

Worked for Lockheed Martin? Contribute to the Community!