LiveOps

Be The First To
Add Photos

LiveOps President, CEO and Director Marty Beard

Marty Beard

Pros:
  • "Most employees can work from home Fridays"
    in 36 reviews
  • "flexible schedule, open 24 hrs decent pay"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "On top of that it is super hard to get hours and if you do then you are often sitting with no call volume"
    in 8 reviews
  • "25 per minute of talk time which is riduculous"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Going back

Sales Representative (Former Employee)
Phoenix, AZ (US)

I worked at LiveOps full-time for more than a year

ProsIF you are good, you can make good money. Very flexible to your schedule, but once you commit to a schedule for the week, you must stick to it.

ConsI found the work to be a grind, but I have been in the business so many years, I think I was just burned out. Took a year off to work in a brick and mortar call center, which made me appreciate more what I had given up when I left Live Ops. I chose to work nights before, and will probably do the same again, as I found the customers to be a little bit easier. I agree with others, working here you will never be more than just a number, everything is by the book, but I guess given the nature of a virtual call center, there is no other way. No one has the time to baby sit you, so you need to follow the rules, and pay attention. I left them before primarily because they would not let me sell the lines that "I" wanted to sell. It seems that once you are certified in a particular line then they own you, unless you screw up so bad that they fire you from the line, which is not good. Last year I was one of the highest ranked reps in a particular line, yet they would not let me have it on a daily basis, yet this line made me a lot of money. If you are good, they will put you where they want you, so if you think you might not like a particular line, DO NOT go through certification for it. I heard from a friend, that their policy here may have changed, I do not know yet. Now that I understand how they work things better, I hope to much more profitable with them this time around.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet your better reps pick and chose where they want to work.

Good place to work.

Senior Applications Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at LiveOps full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI've been at LiveOps for 3 years. Nice office, free food, friendly atmosphere. Open collaborative work environment. SIP lounge to hang out in - have a beer. Nice culture. Executives walk around and talk to people. Clear strategy - to build the SaaS cloud platform. Growing internationally.

ConsA lot of growth and more complex projects. Just acquired another company, adding to complexity. Not enough time.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to provide open communication and fun, open environment. Expand SaaS platform.

Great Place to Start Working from Home

Call Center Agent (Former Employee)

I worked at LiveOps as a contractor for more than a year

ProsFlexible scheduling and fun work.

ConsAt times it can be hard to rely on the income. Since they pay per minute- there may be times when you barely make anything per hour waiting on another phone call.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore communication. When I worked there- I often felt like I was meaningless to the company.

Good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at LiveOps as a contractor for more than a year

ProsAble to work from home.

ConsToo many up-sells after customers say no on the first one.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Liveops Experience

NOC Engineer (Former Employee)
Tempe, AZ (US)

I worked at LiveOps full-time for more than a year

ProsHacker driven company. Really appriciated everyones input on issues

ConsThe company has since started away with home grown apps and moved to 3rd party.

Disappointing

Programmer (Former Employee)
Redwood City, CA (US)

I worked at LiveOps full-time for less than a year

ProsNice office, nice employees, bagels provided for breakfast, pizza Fridays, flexible schedule.

ConsNo direction in where the company is going. They are not hiring permanent employees at the moment unless the CEO approves it. People are often standing around and talking instead of working. If you do not fit in to the clicks here you are done for. There is a very high turn over rate. They will tell you what a great job you are doing and that they will hire you on permanently just to let you go and not tell you why.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more personal with your employees. The people that are still there are really wonderful hard working employees but they are losing faith in the company and the CEO.

Started out great and went downhill

I worked at LiveOps part-time

ProsThe ability to work from home.

ConsChildish behavior and total lack of accountability in some matters.
Operators are pretty much forced to keep pushing products even when the customer is getting ticked off.

It's an okay company

ConsSlow periods
Upsell
getting abused by callers

ok

I have been working at LiveOps

Prosschedule chhat work from home

Consnever sure of what i will make

Great potential and product, but culture isn't keeping up

Director (Former Employee)
Redwood City, CA (US)

I worked at LiveOps full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe product is innovative and transformative. The industry is exciting. The original engineers built a phenomenal core platform that is leaps and bounds better than other supposedly "industry leaders". The tools for the agent business are the best, bar none. CEO is a good visionary and strategic mind. Pay has been substantially increased in the past few years to retain and attract people.

Despite the comments in the below "con" section, there are some amazing and talented employees at LO. When motivated, they are the best at what they do. Many employees who have been there for 5+ years still believe in the original LO dream (or maybe they're waiting for the IPO they were promised and are working tirelessly to hold that hope in place).

If you want an EASY job with little oversight, and cruise to a 20-25 hour work week, come to LiveOps. It's the best place to cash a decent check. Benefits are good. You can just do your job and have a balanced personal and family life. Overall, the people are pleasant around the office so it is very bearable. If you work on the platform side of the business, which is where the company's strategy is moving towards, you will likely be in a safe job. Not so much if you're applying for a job on the agent side.

ConsWhile I commend the CEO's strategic mind and abilities, he is a negative cultural influence on the company. He has frequent layoffs, he moved his family to San Diego and opened a personal office there. He hardly comes into HQ or the other AZ office. Whether true or not, the mass perception is that he cares about his personal life instead of his employees. He doesn't want to roll up his sleeves and fix the business.

The agent business generates all the revenue and profit for the company, but that profit is spent in bad investments, decisions, and overpaid execs. Since he's not in the office, he doesn't know who else he could trust so he continues to overpay 2 "corporate eyes and ears", though everyone knows they add no productive value or function. The SVP of Eng is very capable but it's obvious his motivation is drained. The SVP of Platform is highly motivated and a workhorse, but is handicapped by the CEO.

Marty drove Maynard away with his personal interests, decrepit culture, and poor results (Maynard is the former CEO and Chairman of LO, and current Chairman of Yahoo). Approve of Maynard's contributions to LO or not, the reality is Maynard's association to LO brought immense credibility to the company. Now, that's gone. If Marty is Chairman of the Board, one has to wonder who will hold the CEO accountable, if not for the Board.

I've also never seen such a MASS of short-cutting employees, with little accountability. Go visit the headquarters in the middle of the week. People arrive late (if at all), leave early, and can duck in a corner and do nothing all day, and no one cares anymore. The CEO is a perfect example of what I mentioned. A non-present leader is a scary thing. Good luck finding Marty working on a typical Friday. So if the CEO sees LO as an easy hide-in-corner job, of course that's the rampant culture he's created. Trust me, people are seeing this and following his clear role modeling in the work ethic department. This is not how the culture used to be. It's a stark transformation that started in this current regime.

It's sad for the few superb employees who actually DO put in the time and sweat to keep things afloat (and yes, there are some AMAZING people left, just a dwindling minority). It's a stark contrast from before the CEO came, when people willingly worked 12 hour days and were excited to grow a company. I debated staying longer for the free paycheck, but I could feel my brain and work ethic rotting away.

Opportunities are abundant though. If you can be an individual who doesn't conform to the existing poor work ethic culture, and you can motivate yourself, then you can succeed because you'll be so unique from your peers. I just don't know how Marty would take notice if he doesn't have visibility to your direct contributions. I still love LO and hope for the best, and would do anything to help my former colleagues, but any new employees: beware.

Advice to Senior ManagementRoll up your sleeves, get in touch with the business, clients, and your own people.

Managers and execs: Just spend some time and whole-hardheartedly ask if LO has a culture that you're proud of. You know the answer.

The foundation of a hard-working, innovative, collaborative culture was once the identify of LO. So it's not like it never existed. It's still salvageable and the future can be bright again. I have hope that there is some value in my stock one day. Good luck and best wishes, old friends and colleagues.

Worked for LiveOps? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at LiveOps reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for LiveOps CEO Marty Beard . All 130 reviews are posted anonymously by LiveOps employees.