Linear Technology

Linear Technology CEO and Director Lothar Maier

Lothar Maier

Great place to be

I have been working at Linear Technology full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWell managed Company, great respect for people, smart management, no politics … just biz oriented, focus on profit

Consnone, everything is perfect as it is

Advice to Senior Managementkeep going this way

Associate Design Engineer (Lab Super-Tech)

Associate Design Engineer (Current Employee)
North Chelmsford, MA (US)

I have been working at Linear Technology full-time for more than 5 years

ProsLove it. Designers are very smart and good to work for. No politics, no games, no bulls*. Management focuses on high value, long life, high performance parts and has a long view. What a refreshing change from other short-sighted tech companies! Yes, there have been shutdowns but it sure beats getting laid off or working insane hours like most other companies handle downturns. A very broad based product line is also a pleasure to work with, it means there is no such thing as one big stumble that kills the company. I've learned a lot here and never want to leave.

ConsNone. This is as good as it gets.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up guys, I want to retire from LTC.

Shut down after shut down

Mixed Signal Test Eng Manager (Current Employee)
Milpitas, CA (US)

I have been working at Linear Technology full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood technical people
Stock USED to be good - but not anymore.

ConsThe management STILL think they are running a startup and they are doing everyone a favor by letting them work there. The still think everyone there will get rich and work them hard.

Those same technical people are very arrogant. Coupled with a CYA environment it can be very frustrating to learn since they'll jump all over your but if you admit you don't know something.

Profit sharing has been decreasing ALOT. I remember when it went as high as 68% but now it stays in the high 30's. Not good. Especially with the lower salaries.

Old equipment. Mgmt is good at encouraging employees to save money. In the past that effort was rewarded with higher profit sharing. Nowadays, there is no incentive to slog through using old equipment and making my job tougher. Especially since I'll never benefit from my effort to save money.

Very little opportunity for advancement.

Mngment has given up ALOT of business and the company has had slow growth.

Things they say in EVERY quarterly meeting:
1) Keep your nose to the grind stone!!!! -- (so mngmnt can benefit while the workers are stiffed)

2) Wall street doesn't like us but they'll soon see how good we are --- It's been over a decade and wall street hasn't noticed yet. WTF is mgmnt smoking?!?!?!

3) Let's keep costs down --- So mgmnt can benefit while they keep lowering profit sharing?

Great company

Layout Designer (Current Employee)
Tempe, AZ (US)

I have been working at Linear Technology as a contractor for more than 3 years

ProsEverything about this company is a pro.

ConsThere are no cons to this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

A great company for engineers.

I have been working at Linear Technology full-time for more than 5 years

ProsExperienced colleagues, profit sharing, partial reimbursement for education, well-managed 401k.

ConsNo complaints. The company is well-managed and the people are good. There have been layoffs in the past, but the work force is stronger today because of that.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing.

Great, but very political company.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Linear Technology

ProsMoney and creativity. Technical expertise. High budget. Activities at lunch. Testing expertise. Sabbatical- 5 weeks off after 5 years. High expectations.

ConsWrong side of the aisle is in trouble. No internet. Memos are not stored. If you aren't from National you're in trouble. Very political.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Don't be misled!

I have been working at Linear Technology full-time

ProsProfit sharing, good people outside most management. If you're a tech, you fare pretty well with the incentives such as floating holiday accrual, attendance bonus and sick time accrual. There is a quarterly ERT bonus paid to ERT members. Sabbatical after 5-yrs.

Cons4 of the last 5-yrs have been with shutdowns. Shutdowns are defined as idling the plant for anywhere from 2-days to 2-weeks. It's been as frequent as 1-week a month (for an entire year) to one week+/qtr (current). You can take it unpaid, file for unemployment or burn your vacation. Many people save their semi-annual profit sharing checks to help float them through the company defined shutdowns because unemployment doesn't cut it for most folks and vacation time goes quicker than you can accrue it with the shutdowns. So, effectively, you get no profit sharing because shutdowns eat it and you can rarely take the vacation time when you want because you use most, if not all of it on the shutdowns. Little to no opportunity for advancement. HR is effectively non-existent so don't expect any support.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere's more fat to be trimmed. Consider this before mandating more shutdowns.

Love it.

North Chelmsford, MA (US)

I have been working at Linear Technology full-time

ProsThis is a great place to work. The focus is on making the best product and offering the best support. Financially, profit sharing twice a year and sabbaticals every five years help to make this a great place to work.

ConsSince this is a great place to work and it seems that few people leave, at times it may be difficult to move up.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't retire.

Senior mask designer

Senior Mask Designer (Current Employee)
Milpitas, CA (US)

I have been working at Linear Technology full-time for more than 10 years

ProsProfit sharing is good and compensates for mediocre salary

ConsAfter many years here, feel like I'm being treated more like a grunt than a contributing employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe 'bottom line' is important, but so are your loyal people.

Middle of the road company to work for.

Maint Tech (Former Employee)
Camas, WA (US)

I worked at Linear Technology full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGood pay is par to industry averg. Benefits are good. The profit sharing varies, but it is one of the best that I have seen.

ConsManagement is very difficult to work with. Lots of micro-management, and CYA. It seems like they are all weaving blankets to cover their butts. Will not listen to the front line people. No work/life balence skills what so ever. So jobs have very limited opportunity for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower the front line people, listen to what they say.

Worked for Linear Technology? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Linear Technology reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Linear Technology CEO Lothar Maier. All 40 reviews are posted anonymously by Linear Technology employees.