Lincoln Financial Group

Lincoln Financial Group Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014

Lincoln Financial Group President, CEO, and Director Dennis R. Glass

Dennis R. Glass

Pros
  • They do offer a good Work-Life Balance compared with other companies in the Financial Services Industry(in 22 reviews)

• If you can hang onto this job then there are great benefits including tuition reimbursement which is very important(in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Recognition of work life balance seems to be declining sharply(in 6 reviews)

• Advancement opportunities are not given on basis of merit(in 4 reviews)

Great culture, great people

Fund Analyst (Former Employee) Fort Wayne, IN (US)

ProsGood strategic vision. Many opportunities to change roles within company if needed. Benefits are solid.

ConsMany layers of project managers asking for the same things. Streamlining requests can be frustrating.

Innovative, smart people, good compensation

Human Resources (Current Employee)

ProsLincoln has a lot of really smart people. The environment is pretty collaborative and the product/distribution partnership is strong. Work/life balance is decent. Politics vary depending on which area you work, but overall, compared to peer companies, it's OK. Financially has performed very well, even during some very turbulent times. Consistently scores higher than peer companies on employee engagement.

ConsA lot is going on, so hard to manage the pace if you've got a lot of personal demands, but again, most managers are supportive of work/life balance, flexible schedules, telecommuting. A little behind the times from a technology standpoint.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep listening to employees through engagement surveys, town hall meetings, but more important small group interactions. Don't overlook the stuff that's tough to hear.

Overall, good company.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Omaha, NE (US)

ProsGood benefits, competitive salary, generous time off, and flexible work schedule for salaried employees. Leadership is accessible and will listen to your concerns. Hard working employees, most have a very good work ethic. Very friendly people!

ConsLimited flexibility for hourly employees. Need to update systems, rather antiquated. Need a more holistic on boarding program. Need to add more people in HR, the generalists are swamped.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive hourly employees more flexibility. Update old systems.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Company, Poor Training

Paraplanner (Former Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsThe job and people are interesting
    Flexible schedule, work/life balance
    unlimited earning potential

ConsThere's really no one available to mentor if you are just starting out

Plenty of technology work going on, but organization is very hierarchical and bureaucratic

Software Development Consultant (Current Employee) Rolling Meadows, IL (US)

ProsCompany has good benefits, and the work is stable and the work hours are reasonable. With so many software systems adopted from acquisitions, there's a lot of software development and technology work throughout the organization.

ConsAs with many other large companies, the organization is very hierarchical and bureaucratic. There are many bad decisions that are made in a vacuum that end up wasting effort and money.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemove layers in the organization to better connect upper management with what's going on 'on the ground'. Adopt better ways to measure performance against goals, to better gauge what is and is not working, and whether decisions have yielded desired results.

Hire managers that can manage people

ProsBenefits, reputation of company, clients, and co workers

ConsManagement that is promoted because they were good at a job, not because they have people skills or management experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate an environment that is less threatening to the pions doing the job, and ensure a level playing field.

Good people but poor direction at times

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Hartford, CT (US)

ProsGreat people
    Work-life balance was spot on

ConsWork often went to waste
    Lack of opportunity

worst place I ever worked

Project Coordinator (Current Employee) Hartford, CT (US)

Prosthere was a gym in the building we had access to. but that's the only Pro

ConsIT there is horrible and not secure with software and software licenses. management is horrible and rude. other employees make you pay to use the toaster on the floor. So I brought in a free one for everyone to use and they flipped out and had it taken away. too much drama. under paid employees, and everyone seems to be completely disposable.

Advice to Senior Managementspend less time on yourself and more on the employees, spend less time pointing fingers and more time just getting the job done and helping each other.

Great ethical company

Compliance (Former Employee) Hartford, CT (US)

ProsLincoln Financial Group is a smart, ethical company with great culture from top to bottom for serious professionals.

ConsLincoln does a good job of retaining people. The downside to staff retention is relative difficultly advancing from within. Some people will look for opportunities outside Lincoln and will eventually return at a higher level.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook for ways to increase mobility. Consider reaching across departments to give employees opportunities to develop and build stronger, more well rounded executive candidates.

Awesome benefits

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits! Good culture for the most part... Encourages local involvement in charity work.

ConsToo top heavy... too many in upper management

Advice to Senior ManagementMske sure you look at realistic numbers before making decisions... lots of data is just smoke and mirrors -- and decisions are not logical

Worked for Lincoln Financial Group? Contribute to the Community!