Lincoln Financial Group

Lincoln Financial Group Reviews

Updated Apr 22, 2014

Lincoln Financial Group President, CEO, and Director Dennis R. Glass

Dennis R. Glass

Pros:
  • "They do offer a good Work-Life Balance compared with other companies in the Financial Services Industry"
    in 16 reviews
  • "If you can hang onto this job then there are great benefits including tuition reimbursement which is very important"
    in 21 reviews
Cons:
  • "Recognition of work life balance seems to be declining sharply"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Just implemented a new system for career advancement opportunities that helped with any cons I would have"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Horrible for Customer Service Associates

Customer Service Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Lincoln Financial Group full-time for less than a year

ProsI worked here for six months in 2013. They do a very extensive background check, please do not lie about anything on your resume. They hire vendors that will follow up on each job you list on your resume and they will verify that you did indeed work at those jobs.

If they can't verify this information, they will ask for your tax forms like your W-2 forms.

Your education credentials will be verified as well. They called my old high school to verify that I graduated from high school. I don't have a college degree, I'm currently in college pursuing a bachelor's, so if you went to college and graduated I doubt that they will call your high school and will probably call the college you graduated from.

But as a warning do not lie about anything. This is not the type of company where you can embellish your education and credentials. They put me in the dental department and most calls were from dental offices wanting to know what their patients benefits were. Often patients show up at their dentist's office not knowing what their dental benefits are. 80% of my calls were from dental providers.

The other calls are from patients wanting to know what their benefits were. I had several patients that were upset because their dental benefits were not what they thought they were, and for the most part it's usually what the HR department at those companies had chosen for the employees. Insurance is a very black and white field. There's not a lot of flexibility. A lot of customers get upset by this.

Also due to the struggling economy a lot of companies have cut back on insurance benefits so you will get a lot of unhappy people whom think it's Lincoln's fault that their benefits aren't good and that the insurance company doesn't want to pay out their benefits. You will have to have a lot of patience as you explain the situation to the customer.

If you are new to insurance then you will find out that it's a very regulated field. I got many calls where people were severely irate and said they would call the BBB, their lawyers, etc. You have to like solving problems, and at times you need to put your detective hat on and find out why a customer's dental claim wasn't paid and explain it to the dental office or the customer.

This is not the type of job where you can get easily upset. You need to not let people get to you. If you are that type of person then I can tell you right now you will not last here. People have cried on the phones after being yelled at by customers. I had a great supervisor but working at an insurance company wasn't for me. If you can hang onto this job then there are great benefits including tuition reimbursement which is very important.

They have a cafeteria and a couple of break rooms there. There's even a Starbucks there. Overall it's a very stressful job because most people don't like insurance companies. Dental providers think you're an obstacle and so do patients. You have to be able to tolerate verbal and emotional abuse. You will be cursed at and yelled at.

I could only tolerate that for six months and quit. I have had call center jobs before this one, but this one was one of the worst even though I was hired at $13 and some cents per hour. I don't remember the exact cents, but I know it was $13/hour.

ConsMost management and leads don't like coming to help customer service associate unless the customer asks for one. My direct manager was amazing. If I needed any help then I would go to her and she would do her best to answer all my questions.

She would take the time to train me and make sure I was doing well. She really cared about my success. I wish every supervisor was as good as she was. She is an amazing woman and its unfortunate more managers can't be like her. She respected my schedule and asked if it was okay to change it. I said yes.

Some supervisors will change a customer service associate schedule there without asking them which is really rude. However I'm happy that my experience wasn't like that. They also have some old computer applications that are dos based like ARDIS. They really need to update the type of applications they use to look up a customer's information.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpdate your software so it's easier to search for a customer information.

Family oriented

Benefit Specialist (Former Employee)

I worked at Lincoln Financial Group full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat benefits. Flexible. Wonderful staff. Everyone is a hard worker.

ConsPeople are work there for decades. so newbies have to work really hard to fit in.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the new employees on how to be integrated to the group better.

People are not valued.

General Lawsuit Prevention (Current Employee)
Greensboro, NC (US)

I have been working at Lincoln Financial Group as a contractor for more than a year

ProsWhile the requirements for getting hired may be steep, incompetent people seem to do well here.

ConsFor a company that makes a killing in life insurance, they don't value people at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart over/burn it down/rebuild the culture completely. "One Lincoln" may seem like a nice slogan, but it's meaningless in it's current practice. It's also time to start investing in technology again.
It's just a matter of time before before there's a data breach or the company gets pinched for using flimsy excuses for cancelling policies.

Do not give up your career to come here!!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Lincoln Financial Group

Pros401k match middle management is OK and just stuck in the middle of big egos from SVP's above them.

ConsThe HR department is a joke. The team is not innovative. They are mean to new people that start. Senior leadership is unwilling to give guidance they are more worried about their pay checks and how much money they make. The company is broken into different sections each area operating under their own guidelines. There is no standardization throughout the company. The culture is horrible. Advice DO NOT leave your company to come here you will be at a dead stop!

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease fire your SVP's in HR especially ones that don't care about their teams. Micromanagement is not a good way to grow employees. None supportive self centered leadership is not a good way to cultivate your employees.

Decent....Maybe

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits and 401k contribution

ConsMicromanaged, poor work/live ratio, Poor work environment

Excellent culture, Strategy needs Focus

Specialist, Training (Current Employee)

I have been working at Lincoln Financial Group full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCulture is excellent for a medium sized company at the division level. A lack of formality and hierarchy makes interactions between entry level to executive level employees common and comfortable.

ConsA fast pace and a forgiving culture means that having a focus on strategic goals tends to fall by the wayside. Leadership while friendly tends to fall more toward an individual contributor level of work instead of a leadership level of work.

Advice to Senior ManagementBrining in more strategic minded and driven leadership will help tighten the leaky ship of processes and goal alignment.

great company to work for

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee)
Philadelphia, PA (US)

I worked at Lincoln Financial Group full-time for more than a year

Prosgreat people and culture nice place to work

Consnot enough room for advancement

Advice to Senior Managementmore vacation time

Lincoln is a great company to work for.

I have been working at Lincoln Financial Group full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe company offers good benefits. It offers tuition reimbursement and pays for training/designations as long as they apply/improve your job skills.

ConsUnfortunately, you have to relocate in order to grow. Also, compensation is not very competitive.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe bottom line shouldn't be the dominant factor when making decisions that affect people's lives.

Disorganized

Systems Administrator (Former Employee)

I worked at Lincoln Financial Group full-time for more than a year

ProsFlexible work schedule, exposure to technology

ConsToo many people with hands in the pie

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention

Field office staff is treated horrid by management

Admin Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at Lincoln Financial Group full-time for more than 10 years

ProsBenefits,
some cool holidays off like President's day and Good Friday

ConsWork Every Christmas eve and Black Friday
If management tells on you to their boss or HR, you never have the chance to explain your own story. Very one sided. You feel like you have no one to turn to and talk to about the pressure you feel from your boss. HR could care less
Constantly given more and more by management and then told you do everything wrong.
Never given a compliment or raises.
Management is constantly driving you to return their calls, do their work, and run their errands (including addressing their own personal Christmas cards from their family!)

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the field staff and pay more to the administrative assistants doing all the work instead of constantly sending management and agents on grand trips. Give better raises and bonuses without taxing the crap out of us. The pay for a new business associate or admin asst is a joke.

Worked for Lincoln Financial Group? Contribute to the Community!

Lincoln Financial Group Videos

Lincoln Financial Group – Why Work for Us?

​​​​Why Join Us?​​ It’s quite simple — meaningful work, dedicated people and a confident future. Learn more about life at Lincoln and how you can be a part of our team. ​​Our Culture​​ Meaningful work in a… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Lincoln Financial Group reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Lincoln Financial Group CEO Dennis R. Glass. All 156 reviews are posted anonymously by Lincoln Financial Group employees.