Life Time Fitness

Updated 19 October, 2014
2.9

Life Time Fitness Chairman, President, and CEO Bahram Akradi
Bahram Akradi

Pros
  • You get a free gym membership to a great facility and good benefits (in 48 reviews)

• I loved having a free gym membership for myself and a deep discount for my spouse (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • You will work long hours especially if you are a Personal Trainer (in 37 reviews)

• Upper management flirts with teenage male staff, rather than managing (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

High Quality and Cutting Edge Company

Current Employee - Aquatics Lifeguard in Mississauga, ON
    Current Employee - Aquatics Lifeguard in Mississauga, ON

I have been working at Life Time Fitness part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun and Energetic Staff Team
    Amazing work enviroment

Cons

Problem solving in terms of member complaints

Disappointing Overall Work Experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mississauga, ON
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mississauga, ON

I have been working at Life Time Fitness part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free membership, discounts, growth within the company, relationships created with members

Cons

Very stressful, high expectations with low compensation, no work/life balance, false promises, everyone is unmotivated and unhappy, extremely low internal NPT.

Treat your employees well as it would reflect in their performance. Have a mission and vision for the internal of the company and not just what the company provides.

Overall a positive experience but must be self-directed and hungry to establish leads

Current Employee - Personal Trainer in Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Personal Trainer in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I have been working at Life Time Fitness full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Much higher price point than the average training facility.

-If you work extremely hard (I might add that being a personal trainer might be better suited to single person), the dividends can be rewarding

-Unlike many gyms, LTF offers between 19-22% commission on each sale you make on your own. Starting out, if you get just a little support from mgmt and generate your own business you can make upwards of $1,700-$2,000+ per paycheck

-Pretty good medical and dental insurance as well as 401K 6% match

-Ability to network with people who have alot of connections in the community

-When you're doing well, you can pretty much come and go as you please

Cons

-In order to be very successful you must make an inordinate amount of sacrifices, including your work/ life balance

-New trainers receive very little support from mgmt in the form of leads

-A very salesy gym. LTF offers their own products which, as a PT, you're required to buy into and sell even though many of them are a gimmicky waste of money. But this is all part of the Lifetime "Results Based Culture" malarky. One of the reasons I left was because I never fully bought into these overpriced protein powers, dietary supplements and lab tests.

-You'll start off the first few months with very reasonable goals. My advice to any new hire would be to not "overperform" because if you knock the ball out of the park repeatedly, management will anxiously raise your goal so that your obliged to hit #'s that can become urealistic and if you miss the mark a few times they'll put you on this nonsensical performance plan which outlines things you need to do or they'll release you.

-Over time you realize that you're not getting out what you put in. I prospected thousands of dollars worth of training business in the 2 years and 4 months I was there but got next to nothing in return. The department heads take all the promising leads themselves and take them through the hyper salesy process, inducing them to buy crap they don't want or need.

Put more stock into personal trainers or "fitness professionals" who have proven themselves to be worthy of business by getting clients and retaining them. From a cost standpoint, it makes more sense as well because you won't need to waste money sending new people to certification somewhere and paying for they room and board for a week.

Nice company to work for.

Current Employee - Member Engagement Advisor
    Current Employee - Member Engagement Advisor

I have been working at Life Time Fitness full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere to work in. Great members who truly care about their health so it makes it easy to help them in their pursuits. Free membership and they want and encourage you to work out on the clock.

Cons

Quota driven. Majority of your time is spent making phone calls to people who have been called many many times. Long hours minimum of 50 (10 hr days) and longer at the end of the month.

Life Time provides employees a great workplace full of opportunities for upward mobility. Complete offerings of benefits for full time employees.

Current Employee - Department Head in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Department Head in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Life Time Fitness full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Promotions come from within, benefits, opportunity for financial growth.

Cons

Hours can be long, commission earnings are not for everyone.

Great company that gives you TONS of personal fulfillment, but could afford to invest more $$ in employees

Former Employee - MSDH
    Former Employee - MSDH

I worked at Life Time Fitness full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

STUNNING facilities, wonderful people, great core values, free daily dose of endorphins (people working out all around you, it's just in the air!), easy to transfer departments, or clubs, you get to build great relationships with staff and members, and you get to work out for free at any facility!!! You grow to want to spend more time there because of the people you work with and the positive vibes.

Cons

Vicious cycle: corporate expects rock star candidates, so you hire rock star candidates but can only pay them peanuts, so they leave, and you're left with the people that don't give a care, and you have to start the whole process over again. High turnover was my nightmare as a manager. I had a great GM, Regional and AD who supported MSDH's paying quality people higher wages based on talent and experience, which allowed for a longer term and more fulfilling employment relationship. Attrition shouldn't just fall on the MSDH, the retention bonus structure isn't realistic to achieve, so people start getting 'creative' with numbers.

If you want quality people to stay long term, pay them a realistic wage, including your managers. Invest in them, and they'll invest in you! Stop allowing MEA's to turn and burn, make them more responsible for attrition, don't let it all fall on the MSDH.

Good place to start

Former Employee - Member Services Team Member in Norcross, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Member Services Team Member in Norcross, GA (US)

I worked at Life Time Fitness full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free membership, getting to know the members which opens doors for new opportunities (side jobs,internships etc.), and scheduling with the supervisors to fit our schedule.

Cons

Upper management isn't in touch with the problems within the club. They aren't very transparent when there are major issues in the club when it comes to the actions of other team members.

Stop worrying about the bottom line so much!
    Let people work over 40 hours

The culture is very corporate and air tight.

Former Employee - Lifeguard in Plano, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Lifeguard in Plano, TX (US)

I worked at Life Time Fitness part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The culture is organized and structured.

Cons

The people are trained to follow orders.

Allow for more employee discretion.

Great community of caring individuals, Excellent for stay at home moms who need to work part time and love kids

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN (US)

I have been working at Life Time Fitness full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Childcare, convenient cafe, pools, salon all in one place

Cons

Sometimes you may be called upon to fill in if a team member does not show up, but management is quick to show recognition.

More inservices to provide one on one talk with management and department heads.

Lifeguard

I have been working at Life Time Fitness

Pros

pretty easy job I think

Cons

can be boring I think