Liberty Mutual Insurance

Liberty Mutual Insurance Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Liberty Mutual Insurance President & CEO David H. Long

David H. Long

Pros:
  • "Good approach to work-life balance, most managers are respectful of your personal life"
    in 50 reviews
  • "You are given a good amount of days off per year and good benefits"
    in 70 reviews
Cons:
  • "Your work-life balance rests solely on your local manager"
    in 51 reviews
  • "No work life balance, impossible to meet new goals, getting worse by the day"
    in 14 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Used to be a great place to work years ago

Worked In the Field (Former Employee)

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSalaries are competitive with other insurance companies

ConsLays offs, lay offs, and more lay offs. Good luck trying to get promoted. They take it being a great place to get promoted, but it is nearly impossible.

Advice to Senior ManagementStep out of your cave or office every now and then and actually talk to your employees. There are good people trying to get promoted only to be turned down by people with far less skills. I worked for LM for over ten years.

Excellent environment, great people and professional growth opportunities

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than 10 years

ProsWell managed, stable company with many opportunities to grow and increase skills. Very competitive salary and compensation package with incentive awards. Many, many great people in all parts of the organization who are willing to collaborate to meet objectives.

ConsLimited opportunities for advancement if you are not in the "right" location or unable to relocate, resulting in the loss of loyal employees with strong skills and experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the time to really listen to your employees, especially those with a number of years of service. While the Employee Opinion survey is a good attempt, little of the feedback is really acted upon, long term.

Love the direction in which the company is going!

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe culture has been slowly changing and it is going in the right direction. Lots of growth opportunities, development resources available, and competitive pay.

ConsAlbeit positive from a company health perspective- lots of restructuring but they are making the right decisions to stick around long term.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to enhance talent management capabilities- we are heading in the right direction. I am disappointed on how slow the diversity and inclusion initiatives are going- we are missing out on a lot of opportunities to create a more inclusive work environment and for employees to do their best work.

Encouraging of internal career growth.

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance

ProsEncouraging, motivating, forward thinking, good compensation, good benefits

ConsLimited possibilities depending on where you are located.

Sr. Claim Specialist I

Senior Claim Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood Salary and Benefits. Coworkers were very nice to work with. Casual days for good performance. Work with you with you have a conflict with your schedule

ConsNo manager consistency. Due to different manager styles, employees have different expectations on overall file presentation. This also results in more leniency depending on your manager.

A great place to establish yourself and build your career

Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat company to work for with a chance for advancement. Good benefits, bonuses, and pay for performance. Company is profitable and led by a smart management team.

ConsThe company has a lot of bureaucracy, so it takes a long time to get things approved, which is the downside of working for a large company with over 50,000 employees. Internal apps are slow and hard to figure out how to use. Do not understand the need to radically cut expenses when the company has been so profitable.

Former Insurance agent

Sales Representative (Former Employee)
Brookfield, WI (US)

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than a year

ProsCompany pays for everything, best company to start with as far as an insurance agent is concerned. They pay salary plus bonus and commissions. They pay errors and omissions and totally give you leads etc.

ConsNo mobility if you are looking for a career beyond an agent then you will most likely have to move. Their product lines is strict P&C, life insurance and fixed annuities. If you want to sell a more vast product line then Liberty doesn't provide that. Great company though.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to be more transparent to agents they hire, regarding mobility. If they only want to keep you as an agent for ever then say it, if not they should be working with employees to help them move within company.

Living The Principles

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance

ProsAmazing growth and opportunities, but there are high expectations and demands.

ConsSometimes, the "Good Ole Boy" thing is at play and you have to work the politics and connections.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe careful about the appearance of impropriety in handling employees. Morale killer.

financial rop

Financial Ops Representative (Current Employee)
Cincinnati, OH (US)

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe job is a good job

ConsI have nothing negative to say

Good, competitive company

Manager (Former Employee)
Boston, MA (US)

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat colleagues, who want to do well.
Leadership is intelligent, dedicated

ConsAs a large organization, it's a challenge to get everyone going in the same direction.

Advice to Senior ManagementReinforce teamwork Be clear on the long-term strategy.

Worked for Liberty Mutual Insurance? Contribute to the Community!

Liberty Mutual Insurance Videos

Liberty Mutual Insurance – Why Work for Us?

At Liberty Mutual Insurance, doing the right thing is essential to all that we do. Our commitment to building and sustaining a talented and diverse workforce has helped us to become a global leader in property and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Liberty Mutual Insurance reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Liberty Mutual Insurance CEO David H. Long. All 889 reviews are posted anonymously by Liberty Mutual Insurance employees.