Liberty Mutual Insurance

3.3
1,081 Reviews

Liberty Mutual Insurance President & CEO David H. Long
David H. Long

Pros
  • The company pay is reasonable for the expectation and lack of work life balance (in 70 reviews)

• You are given a good amount of days off per year and good benefits (in 96 reviews)

Cons
  • The type of manager in your office will make or break your work-life balance (in 66 reviews)

• Upper management is loosing more of their focus and support of front line employees (in 32 reviews)

More Highlights

Used to be a great place to work years ago

Former Employee - Worked In the Field
    Former Employee - Worked In the Field

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Salaries are competitive with other insurance companies

Cons

Lays offs, lay offs, and more lay offs. Good luck trying to get promoted. They take it being a great place to get promoted, but it is nearly impossible.

Step out of your cave or office every now and then and actually talk to your employees. There are good people trying to get promoted only to be turned down by people with far less skills. I worked for LM for over ten years.

Extremely Happy with the Choice, Great Balance

Current Employee - Senior Business Consultant (MBA Corporate Development Program)  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Business Consultant (MBA Corporate Development Program) in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company has a long-term outlook and interest in developing their employees with the company. The industry is a slow-changing one, and so they know that to stay engaged, they need to move employees around to different areas of the company. There is growth so there are good long-term opportunities for advancement. Great company values and you are selling a product that there are very few negative social consequences to (i.e., I feel good about what I do and how I do it). Great pay/hours/balance/benefits/etc.

Cons

This is a hierarchical company in a heavily regulated and (at least in the US) saturated industry, so things can move very slow and bureaucracy can be a headache. It's just the nature of the beast, so as long as you can function in that culture where changes are slow and incremental.

There is a greater focus on improving the company from the ground level; however, decision making is concentrated in the Boston home-office. I would recommend making a bigger focus on spreading out your management talent geographically to leverage greater diversity, create better communication between the front-line and management, and to give your senior leaders more opportunity outside of Boston. Make a concerted effort to make the company truly multi-national.

Peaceful consistency in every office, wonderful opportunity to grow and move.

Current Employee - Insurance Assistant  in  Irving, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Insurance Assistant in Irving, TX (US)

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The pay is considerably fair, and the opportunities to pursue your interest are plentiful. The benefits are out of this world, with tons of vacation time beginning very quickly after you're hired.

Cons

There is some management bloat, sometimes causing communication problems and making changes difficult to implement and monitor.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance

Pros

Excellent training and salary. Promote from within.

Cons

Must be able to adjust to change.

Upper management listen to customers.

exciting

Current Employee - Call Center  in  Johannesburg (South Africa)
    Current Employee - Call Center in Johannesburg (South Africa)

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

lots of benefits and money

Cons

lot of chaalenges as it is a target driven

it is a good company to be part of

great company

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance

Pros

personal growth, training, work/life balance

Cons

nothing, sometimes leadership, but its all different depending on department

Absolutely love working at Liberty Mutual

Current Employee - Case Manager II
    Current Employee - Case Manager II

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great people, competitive salary, great benefits. You work very hard, but if you have a strong work ethic, you are nicely rewarded. It's a joy to go to work each day.

Cons

I have no complaints to date.

Keep improving - you're doing a good job!

AMZING

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance

Pros

excellent pay and hours, great if you have a family

Cons

sometimes management didn't connect with the rest of us

NA

HR Intern, LOVE LOVE LOVE

Current Employee - Human Resources Intern  in  Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Human Resources Intern in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Strong attention to training, development, and education
    Amazing job mobility
    Fun, lively atmosphere/ people
    Major focus on employee engagement and treatment

Cons

There are no cons that I can think of

Keep business casual attire

Very fun, fulfilling internship

Former Employee - Workers Compensation Claims  in  Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Workers Compensation Claims in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance as an intern for more than a year

Pros

The internship started with a two week training in Boston which was challenging and also very fun with lots of opportunity for social outings with coworkers.
    Internship duties were challenging and I was given a lot of responsibility.
    Liberty offered good seminar series, networking, and charity events with other interns.

Cons

Although I was given real responsibility, it was often not enough work and could get dull at times even when I reached out to do more. Office was also a bit understaffed so coworkers were stressed and overworked.

Worked for Liberty Mutual Insurance? Contribute to the Community!