LanguageLine Solutions

Updated 18 August, 2014

2.2

LanguageLine Solutions President & CEO Scott W. Klein
Scott W. Klein

Pros
  • I work from home I don't care about paid holiday or sick leave (in 62 reviews)

• I'm able to work from home and able to help people (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • No benefits either or anything to show appreciation (in 24 reviews)

• Low salary (minimum wage) , No benefits, No paid vacation or sickness (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Good for interpreters to learn good experience. Professional interpreters should not expect it will be a career.

Former Employee - Interpreter/Translator  in  Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Interpreter/Translator in Toronto, ON

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Working for Language Line Solutions is a way for professional interpreters to acquire experience.

Cons

A professional interpreter will get NO rewards that could be normally expected from such type of job. Namely, no adequate compensation for the time and effort invested, no chance to get a vacation or paid sick day through any kind of normal procedure (the managers just ignore your needs and treat you like you are something insignificant), no career growth, no respect to interpreters' work. Interpreters are used as low-pay labor, even though these people are expected to be highly educated and possess versatile skills and knowledge.

I would advise the management to keep away from the interpreter's business altogether. That would be fair because they are discrediting this profession by providing poor quality service, which is the inevitable result of their mistreating the interpreters. They want to get too much giving away so little, yet sooner or later they will pay the price anyway. This management does not seem to understand it.

Decent Company

Current Employee - Supervisor  in  Panamá (Panama)
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Panamá (Panama)

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pros where the OT hrs and benefits, basically you get what you give don't expect much but offer stability

Cons

Adherence and calls, try to show employees you care, no that they are all just numbers and quality scores. I believe also certain calls we handle that are not suited for the pay grade.

Just be a bit more humane

Bring work place politics home?

Current Employee - All Call Spanish Interpreter  in  Monterey, CA (US)
    Current Employee - All Call Spanish Interpreter in Monterey, CA (US)

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Telecommute -- skip the rush hour traffic along with the wardrobe and lunch expenses
    Good start up training

Cons

Barely competitive wage, no flex time or paid time off.

This is a specialized service which requires specialized skills. Performance suffers when one is @ 99.9% occupancy. It is counterproductive to slam the que with back to back calls 99% of the time. Take better care of your people, A few years ago you offered better incentives for growth from within,

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Convenient Work at home employment

Current Employee - Spanish Interpreter
    Current Employee - Spanish Interpreter

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

You are an employee not a contractor. Everything is phone based and training was computer and phone based. The variety of calls makes the day interesting and your day goes quickly.

Cons

Once you select your schedule when hired they refuse to allow you to change it. You can never reach your assigned manager when questions arise. You are the last to know of changes that affect you. No true communication with employees...at lease the home based ones...maybe its better if you work at a call center.

Working from home is very different then working from a call center. I wish the company would be more willing to work with the schedule changes when there are legitimate reasons for the change.

over the phone interpreter

Current Employee - Over the Phone Interpreter
    Current Employee - Over the Phone Interpreter

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

working from home, flexible schedule

Cons

no benefits, no feedback, they lay you off from one day to the next, no notification what so ever. low wages

Learning

Former Employee - Interpreter  in  Monterey, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Interpreter in Monterey, CA (US)

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

To improve language skills and to help others

Cons

Not knowing the vocabulary. Call center environment

Let people breath. Improve their benefits. Respect their space

Gave me an opportunity to work from home.

Former Employee - Telephonic Interpreter
    Former Employee - Telephonic Interpreter

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions part-time for more than a year

Pros

Easy job, no commute if you are an at-home employee, direct deposit.

Cons

no paid vacation, benefits are expensive

A good job

Current Employee - Interpreter
    Current Employee - Interpreter

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions full-time

Pros

I think the pay rate varies between the different languages and the benefits varies between states. For example if you speak a language that's high on demand like Spanish but at the same time A LOT of people are bilingual in English and Spanish therefore the competition is high so if you're not good at your job (especially if you're a contractor) they can easily replace you especially in this rough economy with unemployment rate so high. As for benefits that varies by state employers are not required by law to give employees additional benefit beside the benefits that's required by that state. I work from home I don't care about paid holiday or sick leave. I work the morning shift starting from 6am so I get off around 2:30 that gives me a whole day left to do whatever I want. Mylanguage is in demand but not many people can speak my language and English fluently therefore it's not as easy to replace us. IF YOU'RE A GOOD INTERPRETER THEY LEAVE YOU ALONE. I see a lot of people complaining about people management and client being mean. I personally have never had a complaint filed against me. Actually many doctors have asked for me personally to do interpreting for them when they call in. It's about doing your job well. Now let's talk about the pay. Again the pay varies by language. When I first started working for LLS during provisional I was paid $14hr (minimum wage in California is only $9hr) so the pay isn't bad. After provisional I get paid $9hr but for every minute I'm on the phone I get $0.40 per minute within an hour I'm on the phone usually for 50minutes (there are times between calls) now you do the math. That's not a bad pay at all. I made the decision to be an employee instead of a contractor because 1. They forward all the calls to the employees first (contractors gets calls when all employees are busy). 2. Job security, it is easier to let a contractor go than an employee. 3. The way difference between a contractor and an employee is $0.10. I'd rather be an employee and get more calls which makes me more money and get the job security plus a 401k. Hope thos info helps.

Cons

Few over time. In California over time is a time and a half so I like over time

Flexible, convenient work at home employment.

Current Employee - All-call Interpreter
    Current Employee - All-call Interpreter

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible schedule and you get to work from home. No commute. No office clothing to buy. No nossy coworkers. Interviews and training is over the phone and online.

Cons

Once you reach the All Call position that's it, that is the top level. No paid time off. No sick days. No increase in pay. No motivation. No incentives.

It´s currently my major source of income / Per-Call Interpreter.

Current Employee - Per-Call Interpreter  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Per-Call Interpreter in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

Work from home, learn something new every day,make a difference on people´s life, save lives, feel good about yourself and choose your own hours, travel and time off as needed or desired.

Cons

Some calls have poor sound so you need to have a completely quiet work area - not my case but I imagine it will be hard for people with children or pets; you don´t get performance reviews or a raise; there is a contrast between the appreciation I receive from the customers and the indifference of the company in regards to me as a person.

We need to be constantly improving our skills. Although we all do it on our own, it would be wonderful to have some training materials and webinars to increase our knowledge and expertise within the field. Also there should be more performance feed backs available to us in a regular basis, not just upon request.

Worked for LanguageLine Solutions? Contribute to the Community!