LanguageLine Solutions

Updated 24 November, 2014
2.3

LanguageLine Solutions President & CEO Scott W. Klein
Scott W. Klein

Pros
  • I work from home I don't care about paid holiday or sick leave (in 72 reviews)

• I'm able to work from home and able to help people (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Low salary (minimum wage) , No benefits, No paid vacation or sickness (in 24 reviews)

• no paid vacation, benefits are expensive (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

Good for interpreters to learn good experience. Professional interpreters should not expect it will be a career.

Former Employee - Interpreter/Translator in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Interpreter/Translator in Toronto, ON

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working for Language Line Solutions is a way for professional interpreters to acquire experience.

Cons

A professional interpreter will get NO rewards that could be normally expected from such type of job. Namely, no adequate compensation for the time and effort invested, no chance to get a vacation or paid sick day through any kind of normal procedure (the managers just ignore your needs and treat you like you are something insignificant), no career growth, no respect to interpreters' work. Interpreters are used as low-pay labor, even though these people are expected to be highly educated and possess versatile skills and knowledge.

I would advise the management to keep away from the interpreter's business altogether. That would be fair because they are discrediting this profession by providing poor quality service, which is the inevitable result of their mistreating the interpreters. They want to get too much giving away so little, yet sooner or later they will pay the price anyway. This management does not seem to understand it.

Need more flexibility

Former Employee - Over the Phone Interpreter in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Over the Phone Interpreter in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

you work at home
    no traveling or dress up

Cons

never really meet my co workers
    lack of sense of being in a company
    pay is low for someone with a language and training background
    you have to stick with the schedule

Language Line

Current Employee - All-call Interpreter in Heredia (Costa Rica)
    Current Employee - All-call Interpreter in Heredia (Costa Rica)

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good salary for Costa Rican standards
    Paid Vacation, 2 weeks per work year
    Monthly bonuses for attendance, performance, internet subsidy if you work from home and seniority
    It is a constant learning experience, and that is how it should be taken

Cons

No Holidays, this is very hard to keep a good family-work balance because we do not get any holidays, not American, nor Costa Rican, so specially if you have children it can be challenging. Spending Christmas morning at work while everyone is opening presents can really get you down,

Flexible hours, reliable employer

Current Employee - Interpreter
    Current Employee - Interpreter

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions as a contractor (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have worked for this company for over a decade and they have always paid me on time. In the language sector that is a very valuable aspect. I have gotten a steady flow of calls from them. All in all, it's a very reliable company to contract with.

Cons

No raises. They have not once raised my rates in the entire time I have worked there. It would be nice to have a more traditional career path that interpreters can follow. As it stands right now, it is a dead end street. You give your time, you receive your check.

good company

Current Employee - Interpreter in Monterey, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Interpreter in Monterey, CA (US)

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions full-time (more than an year)

Pros

very stable job, very respectfull for employees

Cons

pay is too low, work load too much

give everybody a raise

This is the worst company to work for

Former Employee - Spanish Interpreter in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Spanish Interpreter in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work at home. That's the only upside to working here sadly. I tried thinking of others but this is it.

Cons

No advancement opportunities, no raises, high call volume, management expects you to interpret as if you were a decent paid, certified interpreter yet pay you minimum wage, management is rude, many clients are rude as well.

I would not recommend this company to anyone. Stay away.

Compensate the interpreters better since you expect them to interpret near flawlessly. Or else don't expect it.

Sucks

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions

Pros

No traffic jam work from home

Cons

Everything. Worst company I ever worked for. No communicate with your management team at all. Very difficult to change schedule or request anything.

telphone interpreter

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions

Pros

Able to work at home.

Cons

Unable to talk directly to manager always email and don't get reply within a day and very low pay.

Not a good company to work for long time.

Better than unemplyment benefits...barely

Current Employee - CSI INTERPRETER in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - CSI INTERPRETER in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions part-time (more than an year)

Pros

No commute.No money spend on transportation.No money spend on things you would need for a regular jib (clothes,shoes etc)

Cons

Money not spend on transportation is spend on other items such as paper,pens,bills (light,internet and portion of phone bill). Mininum wage pay if working in certain schedules.No communication.No help,no guidance,no paid time off,no vacation time, no holidays off.Every absense counts as a bad negative mark.Everything is blamed on interpreter (dropped calls,angry clients(even if its due to hold time to get to us),systemn not working,calls that are lost or not picked up due to glitches (alot of glitches)in their faulty system.Again no communication between any department,everyone says something else,no clear answers from anyone.Takes forever to respond to anything.LLS truly does not care about its employees or clients for that matter.Alot hiring is being done out of the country and those interpreters are being rushed to get "qualified"to receive all types of very important sensitve calls (medical,legal) even if they have no prior knowledge or exp which could be very dangerous.I am a US interpreter and they failed me eventhough I am a certified medical interprter in my home state and most likely it is becuase of the increse in pay.I still get medical calls just not pay so they are very unfair.Alot of discrepancies in check,must keep close eye on it.No moving up.Ever.No increse in pay.Ever.Unless you get "qualified"to receive all calls,whcih is next to impossible unless you are out of country.Gives all OT to out of country employees.If cuts are needed they only cut US employees.

Please train other departments more throughly.Just like with INT,agents,SLS,IOMs everyone should be monitored and rated on their services.Please keep everyone informed.An email send to every employee when theres changes or any important information to be shared could be the only way to get correct information to everyone without it being somehow changed after going through so many people.Provide at least a couple of days where employees can call off without fear of getting a warning or threat to get fired.

The company without leadership.

Current Employee - None Spanish Medical Interpreter -work At Home in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

No office to go to.

Cons

No way to talk to other interpreters as a group to share and steam out with each other. They need to provide group telephonic meetings to hear the issues such as the bad phone system they purchased and why they areosing clients?

Talk to the backbone of your business meaning the interpreters.

LanguageLine Solutions Photos