LanguageLine Solutions

Updated 9 December, 2014
2.4

LanguageLine Solutions President & CEO Scott W. Klein
Scott W. Klein

Pros
  • I work from home I don't care about paid holiday or sick leave (in 72 reviews)

• I'm able to work from home and able to help people (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Low salary (minimum wage) , No benefits, No paid vacation or sickness (in 24 reviews)

• no paid vacation, benefits are expensive (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

Good for interpreters to learn good experience. Professional interpreters should not expect it will be a career.

Former Employee - Interpreter/Translator in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Interpreter/Translator in Toronto, ON

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working for Language Line Solutions is a way for professional interpreters to acquire experience.

Cons

A professional interpreter will get NO rewards that could be normally expected from such type of job. Namely, no adequate compensation for the time and effort invested, no chance to get a vacation or paid sick day through any kind of normal procedure (the managers just ignore your needs and treat you like you are something insignificant), no career growth, no respect to interpreters' work. Interpreters are used as low-pay labor, even though these people are expected to be highly educated and possess versatile skills and knowledge.

I would advise the management to keep away from the interpreter's business altogether. That would be fair because they are discrediting this profession by providing poor quality service, which is the inevitable result of their mistreating the interpreters. They want to get too much giving away so little, yet sooner or later they will pay the price anyway. This management does not seem to understand it.

Highly stressful but low pay

Former Employee - Interpreter/Translator in Chandler, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Interpreter/Translator in Chandler, AZ (US)

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions part-time (less than an year)

Pros

They can be very flexible with your schedule. You can make your own schedule and they normally approve it very easily.

Cons

The pay too low compares to the stress that you have to deal with. Only 30 cent per minute but your brain has to work extensively.

Please response to your subordinates. I sent so many email to my manager while I were working there but I never received any response from her. It was very dissapointed

Translate/interprt mandarin to English or vice versa

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions

Pros

Good management and assistance in one's application and training

Cons

Time difference could be an issue

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions

Pros

You get to help people

Cons

Little growth potential for interpreters

Very friendly Staff

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions

Pros

It is a good training experience

Cons

Time difference could be an issue

Tricky and non-transparent payroll calculation

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Okay, It's a job that you can work from home.

Cons

They have their own ways of "calculations" and have provided a template explanation to all interpreters how they do their calculations if one is in doubt, which seemingly is transparent. Yet on their payroll they never mentioned how many minutes the interpreters worked, but rather how much the interpreters made in each of their fancy categories (aka Premium minutes, Guarantee minutes, Long call day, Long call night, etc) . If you try to convert those amounts into minutes, you almost could never figure out how they come up with that result. They offer Call History for interpreters to check the calls but one could only date back for a two-week record. The minutes notated in the Call History almost never coherent with their own payroll minutes (after conversion). After informally communicating with some interpreters, I came to notice many of them are just too laid back to check their records closely, and have ignored how much SHORTER in the payroll all the way. One should be surprised in how much less the company has paid the interpreters in a year by keeping a strict record.

First thing first, please improve your way of listing the work minutes and amount on the payroll. We interpreter don't work for free for your company. It's either you deliberately trying to deceive the interpreters, or your system sucks! It's a highly stressful job already, and you are MISTREATING, DECEIVING and EXPLOITING your employees by taking advantage of their stresses.

Need more flexibility

Former Employee - Over the Phone Interpreter in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Over the Phone Interpreter in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

you work at home
    no traveling or dress up

Cons

never really meet my co workers
    lack of sense of being in a company
    pay is low for someone with a language and training background
    you have to stick with the schedule

Language Line

Current Employee - All-call Interpreter in Heredia (Costa Rica)
    Current Employee - All-call Interpreter in Heredia (Costa Rica)

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good salary for Costa Rican standards
    Paid Vacation, 2 weeks per work year
    Monthly bonuses for attendance, performance, internet subsidy if you work from home and seniority
    It is a constant learning experience, and that is how it should be taken

Cons

No Holidays, this is very hard to keep a good family-work balance because we do not get any holidays, not American, nor Costa Rican, so specially if you have children it can be challenging. Spending Christmas morning at work while everyone is opening presents can really get you down,

This job may be good only to start your interpreter's career, not to make a career

Former Employee - All-call Interpreter in Monterrey, Baja California (Mexico)
    Former Employee - All-call Interpreter in Monterrey, Baja California (Mexico)

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions

Pros

Working from home
    May be a good job for a beginner interpreter/ CSR

Cons

Horrible management. No way to get a day-off or vacation, let alone getting a sick day-off...
    Miserable wages. Although this job requires excellent language skills, versatile mind and high level of education - otherwise you just are not hired - the job can be very stressful... they pay you just entry level wage no matter how long you have worked for the company and what level of interpretation and service you are providing...
    The employee morale is terrible, and the employee turnover is huge. As you are becoming more skilled and experienced over time, they tend to increase your job volume without pay increase. Pay rates never increased ever since 2005. You feel more like discouraged from this work. This management approach is entirely wrong.
    Although, it may be a good place for a beginners, this company is the worst place in terms of career prospects. With the skills and experience developed through this job you should be able to get a much better job in customer service or interpretation business, with much higher pay and conditions...

The amount of criticism towards this company clearly indicates that the management has huge issues related to employee morale.
    I would highly advise that the management revise their policies with regard to interpreters and try and understand that interpreters assume huge responsibility doing this job... Especially where it comes to medical and legal/court interpretation. If the management fails to learn how to motivate employees and adjust their attitudes and policies accordingly, I would advise the management to stay away from this business. Otherwise, they eventually may be sued and held responsible for exposing the company clients to high risks through neglecting the interpreters needs.

This is the worst company to work for

Former Employee - Spanish Interpreter in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Spanish Interpreter in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work at home. That's the only upside to working here sadly. I tried thinking of others but this is it.

Cons

No advancement opportunities, no raises, high call volume, management expects you to interpret as if you were a decent paid, certified interpreter yet pay you minimum wage, management is rude, many clients are rude as well.

I would not recommend this company to anyone. Stay away.

Compensate the interpreters better since you expect them to interpret near flawlessly. Or else don't expect it.

LanguageLine Solutions Photos