LanguageLine Solutions

Updated 30 January, 2015
2.4

LanguageLine Solutions President & CEO Scott W. Klein
Scott W. Klein

Pros
  • I work from home I don't care about paid holiday or sick leave (in 72 reviews)

• I'm able to work from home and able to help people (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Low salary (minimum wage) , No benefits, No paid vacation or sickness (in 24 reviews)

• no paid vacation, benefits are expensive (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

Good for interpreters to learn good experience. Professional interpreters should not expect it will be a career.

Former Employee - Interpreter/Translator in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Interpreter/Translator in Toronto, ON

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working for Language Line Solutions is a way for professional interpreters to acquire experience.

Cons

A professional interpreter will get NO rewards that could be normally expected from such type of job. Namely, no adequate compensation for the time and effort invested, no chance to get a vacation or paid sick day through any kind of normal procedure (the managers just ignore your needs and treat you like you are something insignificant), no career growth, no respect to interpreters' work. Interpreters are used as low-pay labor, even though these people are expected to be highly educated and possess versatile skills and knowledge.

I would advise the management to keep away from the interpreter's business altogether. That would be fair because they are discrediting this profession by providing poor quality service, which is the inevitable result of their mistreating the interpreters. They want to get too much giving away so little, yet sooner or later they will pay the price anyway. This management does not seem to understand it.

Interpreter

Former Employee - Spanish Interpreter
    Former Employee - Spanish Interpreter

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions

Pros

Work at home. Good way to start learning about interpreting.

Cons

Very low pay. This is good for anyone getting into the field for first time. Better companies out there that you dont need to be scheduled. No insurance worthwhile.

Pay more fairly You are making tons of money.

No raise

Current Employee - All-call Interpreter
    Current Employee - All-call Interpreter

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Work at home
    Learn new things about we interpret.
    Talk to interesting ppl

Cons

Migraines
    Ears get too sensitive so you start hearing things that couldn't hear before and it bothers your sleep
    Not enough money and no hope of raise

I asked my manager and senior language specialist what I can expect in the future and reply was there is no raise like other companies work even after many years. That killed my motivation.

An ok place ' Independant Contractor'

Current Employee - Interpreter in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Interpreter in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions

Pros

-flexible hours
    -work from home
    -good flow of calls
    -decent staff

Cons

-the pay would have been good if we were still living in the 70s. Interpreters are the foundation of this company , appreciating them in the salaries will only make the company better.

Interpreting Sweat Shop?

Current Employee - Interpreter
    Current Employee - Interpreter

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is possibly the quickest way to have a glimpse into many industries that provide customer service: banks, hospitals, mobile phone companies, internet service providers, utilities, government agencies, law enforcement, stock trading, even some tech companies. The idea that you never know what your next phone call entails is exciting and certainly adds allure to the job. I learned a lot about how to deal with phone/internet/electricity providers and bank/hospitals/police/Social Security just by listening in on the conversations and interpreting. It gave me, an novice interpreter who inspired to become a professional, a well-rounded exposure to terminology in many different fields. Being able to go to work without dressing up and driving through traffic is also a plus. I also came across a couple nice people who also provided good information on resources for interpreters.

Cons

This job does not really allow you to gain "good" interpreting skills - I have now obtained an advanced degree in interpretation and have been working in the field for a while. What (little) interpreting skills I obtained during my time at LLS have not served me very well. As a matter of fact, I developed some pretty bad interpreting habits that took a while to break. The reason? First of all, the training they provided was PAINFULLY INADEQUATE. They were more concerned about perpetrating company policies rather than training inexperienced people to become adequate for the job. Secondly, BAD INTERPRETATION seemed quite acceptable - on my first day of work, my supervisor and I listened in on other interpreters, and even though I had never worked as an interpreter before that day, common sense told me the quality of interpreting generally ranged from acceptable to absolutely horrendous. Don't get me wrong - there are a few great interpreters that I came across, but they were definitely a rarity. Lastly, the interpreters were WORKED LIKE SLAVES, that at after working nonstop under a huge amount of stress for so long, even if they tried to provide good quality work, I doubt their now deep-fried brains and exhausted bodies could allow them to function normally. They also blatantly DISREGARDED the fact that we were human beings - illnesses were inexcusable, emergencies were inexcusable, taking time off was nearly impossible. A fellow interpreter, who consistently performed above and beyond, developed a life-threatening condition and requested to have his hours reduced in order to make it to his appointments and whatnot - in response, HR increased his hours. The excitement of the job wore off quickly for me. I felt that I was chained to my phone, not allowed to take a bathroom break for hours, while BEING PAID LESS THAN ONE QUARTER (or in some cases, even one tenth!) of market rates - rates that interpreters out there actually make!

Hire people who actually meet basic requirements of the job - and pay them accordingly!

Highly stressful but low pay

Former Employee - Interpreter/Translator in Chandler, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Interpreter/Translator in Chandler, AZ (US)

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions part-time (less than a year)

Pros

They can be very flexible with your schedule. You can make your own schedule and they normally approve it very easily.

Cons

The pay too low compares to the stress that you have to deal with. Only 30 cent per minute but your brain has to work extensively.

Please response to your subordinates. I sent so many email to my manager while I were working there but I never received any response from her. It was very dissapointed

Russian Interpreter - All Calls

Current Employee - All-call Interpreter in San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - All-call Interpreter in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions full-time (less than a year)

Pros

No pros except working from home

Cons

LOW PAY! NO DECENT BENEFITS, REALLY AVOID THIS COMPANY... they make you go through hoops but they pay the least out of all companies... and all this number 1 company myth...total BS. I used to work for Cyracom (Company#2) - at least my pay was $600-700 more a month.

IF YOU ARE LOOKING TO SWITCH A JOB - LEARN FROM MY MISTAKE!

there are no managers there... just one disorganized, outdated mess house.

Old school, manage by fear environment

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions

Pros

It is a job and that's it.

Cons

Chaotic environment managed - not lead - by insecure people who don't know and don't care about the company, its people or its clients. Executives who run their departments by identifying, stirring up and then using their employees' weaknesses against them. They take care of each other though and everyone knows it. So who can employees go to for help? No one. Walk the hallways and you can feel the stress. People running around afraid to make mistakes and looking over their shoulder.

Executive team: stop trying to keep your people small so you can feel in control. That is no way to run this place. Being mean is nothing to be proud of and everyone is talking about it.

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions

Pros

You get to help people

Cons

Little growth potential for interpreters

LanguageLine Solutions Photos