Lagasse

Updated Jul 09, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Todd Shelton

Probably a typical used-up-and-spit-out temp experience

ICRA - Inbound Customer Relations Associate (Former Employee) Oaks, PA (US)

ProsRegular work schedule, easy (but mind-numbingly repetitive) work, lots of free time

ConsFrom the moment I stepped foot in LagasseSweet's call center, something felt off. This was my first (and hopefully last) temp job. There were tons of empty desks and cubicles. It looked like they had just finished cleaning house and were bringing a whole new crop of employees on.

I naively saw this as an opportunity to prove myself and get in on a fresh "ground level" working for a growing company.

I took Lagasse's overdone and torturously slow training course for an entire month (yes, for a 3 month job you spend a month in training....this is how you know it's going to be terrible) and came back down to the call center--only to discover even more people had suddenly disappeared. And of course, it was VERY hush hush as to what caused their disappearance. The most I was able to get from management was "They are no longer working for Lagasse".

Of course I didn't realize this at the time, but after I too was let go for complete BS reasons, (despite hundreds of happy customers and plenty of people who asked if I could exclusively handle their accounts), I realized the truth: LagasseSweet claims to value their employees and exclusively hire former temps but, they run people through like a conveyor belt so they don't have to pay out benefits and salaries to the majority of the temps that work there. 525 hours go by and you're out the door without so much as a thank you, acknowledgement of your work, evaluation or feedback that you can take with you to another job.

The reality is, they don't have enough work to keep most people on full time, which is probably why they go through so many temps. The problem with this is that if you work a morning to evening shift, it leaves you absolutely NO way to go to interviews at other possible future employers. And of course, they're not going to let you take a single personal or sick day or afternoon doctor's appointment because they want to squeeze every last dime out of the labor they can get from you.

LagasseSweet is in the process of finally upgrading their horrific website and will be replacing their 90s era, windows xp Trend order system over the course of the next year. If you are an ICRA you would be an absolute idiot to think that this reality would not completely jeopardize your job and the need for it. Call volume is just going to continually decrease and along with it, the need for people in your role as the website will continually siphon your former phone customers away.

Speaking of phones, on a typical 8 hour day, I would guess that approximately one and a half to two hours would be spent doing NOTHING, browsing the net and waiting for a phone call to come in. Because that's the job. You sit there in the queue with 30 other reps waiting for phone calls. Occasionally you may be called on to follow-up with someone via e-mail but there's very little actual accountability on anything because you are a disposable peon, are not valued, and are expected to spend every possible moment on that queue.

I seriously wish I had never wasted my time working for this company but as we all know, if you say no to a job that a temp agency offers, they'll never call you again.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou expect WAY too much out of your ICRAs, particularly when it comes to fixing the errors in orders that your fax team makes CONSTANTLY, even though they are paid more. So not only do I have to place orders all the time, but I also have to answer to long-time customers who are irate that your fax team screwed up and ordered them the wrong item or shipped it to the wrong location. Then, as if that wasn't enough, you REQUIRE us to CC that person's supervisor and them on the mistake they made? Right, cause that's what you want to do as a new person, tick the long timers off so you're guaranteed not to have a job. Not to mention the amount of time that this wastes when there are other calls in the queue.

There's also no excuse for using such an absolutely atrocious networking system in this day and age. I can't count the number of times I had to shut down windows and restart the wyse terminal in the middle of an order because the system locked up. Trying to give the customer the best experience possible over the phone is entirely negated when your billion dollar company won't spend the money to get a decent IT infrastructure.

I worked my tail off for you guys and the best I got was a 4pm phone call from my temp agency telling me that we were done.

Truth told, after about six months in this position, I probably would have been ready to kiss the end of a shotgun anyway because it's that tedious. Thank you to both you and my incredibly noble temp agency for the opportunity to get used for all I was worth and then tossed aside like a condom.

THE MOST STRESSFUL PLACE YOU WILL VER WORK

Lead (Former Employee) Aurora, CO (US)

ProsSome of the workers were nice. But most were snitches. I could not wait to get home every night just to look for another job.

ConsSo much stress. The manager looks like he's going to freak out every day. We never have enough people to do the work. I used to cry in the bathroom. I finally quit without a job to go to. The best thing I ever did.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhy bother, they won't listen. They been told what's going on and they look the other way. Instead of looking for ways to improve the company the senior management makes fun of lower managers. Stay away from the place.

THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT WORKERS & H/R IS HORRIBLE AT THIS DENVER COMPANY!

Wharehouse Lead (Former Employee) Aurora, CO (US)

ProsI really can't think of any. you get to go home after everything is done.. you don't get yelled at after 2:00PM because the boss is long gone by then.

ConsLets see where to start. As I had said H/R is a horrible dept. in this company. They harass the workers to the point that they quit. If you go to the higher up's in H/R you are told that YOU are the problem. I finally had to leave because of health issues from my job at lagasse. This is not a fair or nice place to work!

Advice to Senior ManagementClose this branch up and start over. This is one of the worst places to spend any time and upper management is to blind to see.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good culture, despite unclear direction and lack of decision making at the higher levels.

Business Analyst (Former Employee) Deerfield, IL (US)

ProsGreat building, kind coworkers. Ability to work with multiple departments and learn a lot. Very community oriented and the associates put in admirable efforts with charities all over the country.

ConsLeadership doesn't really put their foot down to make many decisions and the company seems to be run by a bunch of individuals pulling things in various directions and no one seems to have a sense of what the company is or where it's going.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut all resources into an attempted project, rather than split everyone up, and have them all try to accomplish the same thing in different ways without any group actually having the right resources. Invest more heavily in IT. The company makes almost all decisions manually, and inconsistently. And must type in what's happening operationally into a very antiquated ERP that doesn't suit the needs of the business at all.

Watch out for this place...

Distribution Associate II (Current Employee) Grand Prairie, TX (US)

ProsWhen I first Started working for this company in 2011 it was great....

ConsThe Supervisors show favoritism towards certain employees, 20 cent raise every April, 15 lines per hour maximum, will get reprimanded for not doing over that amount...

Advice to Senior ManagementThere should be some type of incentive for good employees, pay more attention to what the Supervisors and Plant Managers are doing wrong instead of the Distribution Associates on certain shifts....

Is it Lagasse or Lagasse Sweet?

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNothing really coming to mind...

ConsFor starters, the office building is incredibly small and dusty with half of the rooms on the second floor being unused. They are an incredibly low budget company that uses an outdated computer program called TREND which constantly freezes while you are on a call with one of what seems to be many of their impatient customers.

They have a quick turnover because they only hire through temp agencies and dismiss the notion to actually hire anyone directly. As for the people who have been working there for more than a couple of months (which aren't very many), they remind me of high-schoolers, emailing gossip back and forth all day instead of assisting customers and letting calls build up in queue.

As far as the actual daily tasks, I sat at my desk for 8 hours everyday staring at my computer screen answering questions about janitorial and food service products. It took everything in my power not to fall asleep or completely die from boredom.

The managers like to think they are laid back,but the the truth is they are just silently judgmental if you don't kiss up to them. The pay is very little also, about half of the people working there had second jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease update your software, office equipment and furniture. It'll be 2013 soon.

Blue collar mentality

ProsBenefits of the parent company.

ConsGood ole boys club is alive and well - Senior management can't make a decision to save their lives.
    Backstabbing is the norm. Work life balance is non-existent. They talk about the importance of culture - but they don't live it.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeek professional help. Learn to listen to the customers and your own people. The sellers are out competing for the business and fending off competition...you would be wise to listen to what we have to say

Good Job to Settle

Account Executive (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsGood salary and comm. structure. Freedom of working independantly, not micro-managed. Company stresses the importance of family time vs. work time.

ConsLittle communication between middle management and corp. executives. The pay structure is changing on a yearly basis.....only to benifit the reps. (sure)

Advice to Senior ManagementMiddle management strong, upper management needs to engage more than once a year with acct. execs., to communicate future changes with more of a timeline, not just springing it on at the annual meeting.

They will let you work as hard as you want to.

Regional Operations Manager (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsLargely recession proof. People are great to work with and believe in work hard - play hard.

ConsSenior management often manage by seat of the pants

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the people more. Let the people you hire do their job.

Worked for Lagasse? Contribute to the Community!