Labor Ready

Updated 11 December, 2014
Updated 11 December, 2014
2.7

Steve Cooper

Pros
  • I was able to help temporary employees find work and sometimes full time positions (in 5 reviews)

• For many workers, assignments give workers an opportunity to try different kinds of work and as a means to obtaining full time employment (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Expects people to rearrange their schedules for a two hour assignment 40 minutes away that only pays minimum wage (in 10 reviews)

• Need to sharpen it to the company/goal and conduct real world training to the branch Managers (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Low Pay For Hard Workers, Can't be hired by a company till worked over 400 hrs with labour ready.

Former Employee - LABOUR in Brantford, ON
    Former Employee - LABOUR in Brantford, ON

I worked at Labor Ready part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Get paid daily if you're broke, can leave a job if you feel that it's not for you.

Cons

After you work 400+ hours for Labour Ready, your hours start getting lower, they slowly stop sending you to work.
    Labour Ready calls you to work at places that can't keep employees'. Factory's that pay like $14 to start for regular employees but Labour sends you for $10.25. You can't be hired by that company nor any other company that Labour Ready has sent you too, till you have worked your 400+ hours with Labour Ready.

A Balance should be looked for when sending people to work, meaning if a company needs workers and someone is liked by them, they should be free to apply without being forced to work a certain amount of hours with labour ready. A temp service should be willing to have someone hired by a company they have sent someone too, it looks good for them.

Bottom Line Driven Period

I worked at Labor Ready (more than an year)

Pros

Great concept and suitable for contractors, freelancers and those looking for flexiblity in their work life.

Cons

Management needs to pay attention to competition which they tend to ignore and are losing their market position. They also turn a blind eye on safety for the almighty dollar.

Risk Managment should follow up/ monitor the health and safety policies at the branch level. The talk is not being walked.

Very easy to start at, very varied working conditions, very unstable source of income

Former Employee - Temporary Labourer in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Temporary Labourer in Toronto, ON

I worked at Labor Ready part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very flexible schedule. Provide some safety equipment for free. Everyone is welcome. Very easy to start working here. The managers at a place near me seemed very concerned for worker safety. The manager often went to different places to check out working conditions, and definitely if it was the first time the agency supplied workers.

Cons

Very seasonal, Frequently not enough work for everyone who comes in during the day. There are work agencies that provide better pay/work conditions, but are harder to start working at. Very unstable source of income.

Expand to more qualified work.

Stop Gap

I have been working at Labor Ready

Pros

Once hired, arrive everyday 10 min. before the office opens as assignments are parceled out first-come first-served. You are paid the day your assignment is completed. When cash is short between permanent positions, this is pretty important.

Cons

Be sure to ask for any safety equipment which ought to be offered to you for the assignment you're be sent out on, i.e. back brace (lifting), eye protection, gloves, etc.

Anyone can perform general labor, send out associates based upon the order in which they've arrived for work.

Goodwill

Current Employee - Production I
    Current Employee - Production I

I have been working at Labor Ready full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Missed seeing couple of friends while at Goodwill. I used to call the place my workout arena. Had customers of different backgrounds that I always look up to see and talk to while stocking shelves or at the door making my day an enjoyous one.

Cons

Changing of Managers-Because of the need to reprove yourself time after time again. Meaning restructuring of said duties.

I Thought I was doing okay, because I had already gained three steps upwards by previous Mgmt. only to be shut down all the way to like starting all over again!

no future

I worked at Labor Ready

Pros

may be good for the unemployed

Cons

you could go all week looking for work and get nothing

Good place to start a sales career.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at Labor Ready part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits and opportunity to serve the community

Cons

Early morning start hours during extreme conditions. Not always a safe environment considering some neighborhood locations.

Value people out the field more.

This company has the best employees. They are generous, kind, and the best part is they are really friendly

Current Employee - General Labor in Goodyear, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - General Labor in Goodyear, AZ (US)

I have been working at Labor Ready part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The employees are real friendly and helpfully

Cons

Hard to get where I need to go because I have to take the bus.

Making a difference one employee at a time

I have been working at Labor Ready

Pros

Rewarding work and ability to help people that are the most in need of a break.

Cons

Long hours and giant company communication breakdowns.

Don't be disappointed in results of your team, when you have not invested valuable coaching time.

Great company if you need cash today.

I worked at Labor Ready

Pros

Work today,get paid today.great deal.

Cons

You don't get paid a lot of money.

Labor Ready Photos

Working for Labor Ready means that you have many different kinds of jobs available.
We work with customers in a variety of industries.
One of our branch managers on a job site.

+ Add Photo