Labor Ready Reviews

Updated 31 August, 2014
Updated 31 August, 2014

2.8

Steve Cooper

Pros
  • they could always find work somewhere (in 3 reviews)

• Very easy to start working here (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • they didn't pay more than minimum wage (in 7 reviews)

• 00 an hour is not enough for the kind of commitment and hard work that LR expects from its employees (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Low Pay For Hard Workers, Can't be hired by a company till worked over 400 hrs with labour ready.

Former Employee - LABOUR  in  Brantford, ON
    Former Employee - LABOUR in Brantford, ON

I worked at Labor Ready part-time for less than a year

Pros

Get paid daily if you're broke, can leave a job if you feel that it's not for you.

Cons

After you work 400+ hours for Labour Ready, your hours start getting lower, they slowly stop sending you to work.
    Labour Ready calls you to work at places that can't keep employees'. Factory's that pay like $14 to start for regular employees but Labour sends you for $10.25. You can't be hired by that company nor any other company that Labour Ready has sent you too, till you have worked your 400+ hours with Labour Ready.

A Balance should be looked for when sending people to work, meaning if a company needs workers and someone is liked by them, they should be free to apply without being forced to work a certain amount of hours with labour ready. A temp service should be willing to have someone hired by a company they have sent someone too, it looks good for them.

Bottom Line Driven Period

I worked at Labor Ready for more than a year

Pros

Great concept and suitable for contractors, freelancers and those looking for flexiblity in their work life.

Cons

Management needs to pay attention to competition which they tend to ignore and are losing their market position. They also turn a blind eye on safety for the almighty dollar.

Risk Managment should follow up/ monitor the health and safety policies at the branch level. The talk is not being walked.

Very easy to start at, very varied working conditions, very unstable source of income

Former Employee - Temporary Labourer  in  Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Temporary Labourer in Toronto, ON

I worked at Labor Ready part-time for less than a year

Pros

Very flexible schedule. Provide some safety equipment for free. Everyone is welcome. Very easy to start working here. The managers at a place near me seemed very concerned for worker safety. The manager often went to different places to check out working conditions, and definitely if it was the first time the agency supplied workers.

Cons

Very seasonal, Frequently not enough work for everyone who comes in during the day. There are work agencies that provide better pay/work conditions, but are harder to start working at. Very unstable source of income.

Expand to more qualified work.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's a great option you get out what you put in!

Current Employee - Branch Manager  in  Steubenville, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Steubenville, OH (US)

I have been working at Labor Ready full-time for more than a year

Pros

This place can will change the lives of those who are willing. If you have the right mindset you will do well. I have had several people tell me that they have change their lives.

Cons

The people that don't believe they make a difference is what can impact an entire branch and community.

Steve and Wayne you are Rock Stars. Keep growing and allowing us to provide specialization. We are well on our journey to True Blue!

Labor Ready helps you get back on your feet.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Asheville, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Asheville, NC (US)

I worked at Labor Ready full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I was able to help temporary employees find work and sometimes full time positions.

Cons

Your jobs do not always go the way you planned them daily with call outs from workers with odd excuses at the last minute.

Very rewarding

I have been working at Labor Ready

Pros

Helping people find work..improving there self worth

Cons

On call 24/7. Finding qualifies workers

More pay and help

Marketing Sales Manager Labor Ready

Current Employee - Marketing Sales Manager  in  Huntsville, AL (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing Sales Manager in Huntsville, AL (US)

I have been working at Labor Ready full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I very much enjoyed meeting the public in my job. Meeting supervisors, owners, managers on different job sites. It was interesting to learn what they do and how they work. I made a lot of friends.

Cons

The comparisons the company made to lower employment areas were unrealistic in their goals for me. I was stretched too far in area so that most of my time was spent driving which was unproductive. People employed by Labor Ready did not last 5 years. 800 offices and no one lasted over 5 years. That says A LOT!!!!!!!!!!!!

The DM's of this company should study demographics and educate themselves better. All they did was shout numbers when I was there. No one ever helped mentor. They only cared about the all mighty dollar and not the workers at all who were taken advantage of. The workers are the life's blood of this company and I never saw upper management even SPEAK to any of them. My paycheck came from their sweat and it made me feel guilty.

The CSR: Cogs in the BLUE MACHINE

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Labor Ready full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great learning experience in what not to do.

Cons

CSRs are overworked and underpaid. Every few months more responsibilities are added while wages are held down and overtime is restricted. Management has no understanding of how a branch - let alone a 'super branch' functions. All management is concerned with is NOI, weekly gross margin, not having any OT for CSRs and not receiving customer complaints.

One person cannot:
    • open an office 5:30 am,
    • dispatch 20 - 40 workers - have those workers report on time,
    • conduct site visits,
    • contact customers to see how business is going,
    • call potential new customers,
    • place new job orders,
    • recruit new workers (applications, drug tests, E-verify, interview),
    • call delinquent customers for payment,
    • complete regular office management (update W-2, run new background checks, update customer / employee records, clean the office, order supplies, trouble shoot IT issues) and
    • payout workers
    without making any mistakes.

Such a work schedule would burn out the most enthusiastic worker leading to fatigue, low morale, errors and finally resignation or termination within 2 -3 years.

While there are some CSRs that have worked for Labor Ready for 5 - 10 years (senior CSRs), these are not the ones who handle the bulk of the above responsibilities. Senior CSRs have carved out their own responsibilities and limits and have pushed all new responsibilities on junior / rookie CSRs. For example, some senior CSR do not conduct site visits or only handle closing of the office - so they never come in at 530 am.

Change the Customer Service Representative (CSR) position into a salaried position, with a salary range between 45k - 55k. Remove the 40 hour restriction. The work that CSRs handle cannot be completed in a 40 hour week.

very dependable and reliable

Current Employee - General Labor  in  Kalamazoo, MI (US)
    Current Employee - General Labor in Kalamazoo, MI (US)

I have been working at Labor Ready full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

get to work when you need it badly and pay

Cons

some people we have to work with like drug es

General Laborer

Current Employee - General Labor  in  Winter Park, FL (US)
    Current Employee - General Labor in Winter Park, FL (US)

I have been working at Labor Ready full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you have a car you will get sent out on tickets, and if you work good and you get there early you're good! And there are people there who will actually get hired on with the company that requested for you to work.

Cons

Some of the dispatchers could be a holes

I would consider being a bit more polite to people, because we are all human. Treat people with respect and you will get respect.

Worked for Labor Ready? Contribute to the Community!