La Madeleine

Updated 15 August, 2014
Updated 15 August, 2014

2.1

Jean-Roch Vachon

Great company and work atmosphere!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX (US)

Pros

Positive working environment where it feels your input matters. Good benefits to include medical, dental, vision and 401k. Seems to be promotional opportunities and room for growth within organization. Leadership is involved and has a passion for the concept. Understanding of work/life balance. Fantastic 50% discount!

Cons

Due to the rate the company is growing there are growing pains associated with getting processes streamlined and most efficient. I feel this will eventually work itself out.

Good place to grow as a young person getting into the workplace

Former Employee - Associate (Summer Job)  in  Katy, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Associate (Summer Job) in Katy, TX (US)

Pros

My general manager, Tara Macias, cared about me as an employee; at the same time, though, she pushed me and my coworkers to constantly try to perform in the best, fastest, most efficient, and customer-focused way possible. Interesting people to work with - smart college kids who are going places make for interesting conversations; assistant manager from Ivory Coast brought French language to the workplace.

Good leadership opportunities by getting trained to do almost everything, and the longer you're there the more responsibility you are given.

I watched people advance from associate to manager during the time I was there, and I myself grew from simple line positions to managing the bakery over a short period of time as I got better at my job.

Cons

Sometimes felt like I had a hard time being proud of the food I was selling, because the prices were high, for the quality that the company offered, compared to other nearby places.

Occasionally an older coworker would behave inappropriately, coming on to other coworkers, but if it ever were to get serious I knew I could always simply talk to my manager.

"French" culture/atmosphere felt kind of fake and stilted when all the cooks were hispanic and only 1 manager was familiar with French culture.

I became more and more loyal to you when you gave positive feedback and criticism in a constructive way, so keep doing that.

There is a ton of paperwork to do at the beginning; perhaps consider saving paper and using an online service to have employees sign and read forms at home when onboarding.

abusive upper management and long hours

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

Pros

hard working managers and employee at the restaurant
    growing company
    good food and discount

Cons

upper management only cares about the bottom line and profit ..
    rude abusive district managers that will verbally abuse you and a HR department that will never back you up .
    They promise job advancement but you better be ready to kiss up and be a favorite for that to happen
    they work you very long hours and no help is given if a manager is out.
    With this company there is no work-life balance even if they say there is .
    There are no staff and the few they have are overworked.
    Used to be good benefits but the company has gotten cheap

You need to visit your stores and really see whats going on. You should talk to your managers and employees and find out how you're failing them
    You should give help to the stores when they are short staffed and management are out or sick

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Pastry associate

Former Employee - Pastry Associate
    Former Employee - Pastry Associate

Pros

None other than a 50% discount

Cons

Before hiring you they tell you that you will recieve great training and tell you what the hours are which work great with your schedule... once they hire you they put you with people who dont want to train you and dont care if you succeed and the hours are different than what was said. They lie to get you on than do nothing to keep you.

Give proper training

My worst job so far

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Flower Mound, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Cashier in Flower Mound, TX (US)

Pros

Decent pay, the customers weren't bad, the head manager was the sweetest manager I ever had, the work wasnt terrible, they were not under staffed

Cons

assistant managers ignored employee input on anything, employees harassed me on a daily basis, equipment constantly broke, food made me sick every time I ate it, dishes were never clean and the cups always had lipstick stains on them, pastry case and dish washing station both had mold and were never cleaned

when several employees say they've seen mold around the restaurant your response should not be "nope youre wrong" and do nothing to even investigate, also when you see harassment happening its unprofessional to sit back and even join in

Depressing

Pros

The only positive here was the food. Discounts are 50% but you would usually spend at least an hour worth of work pay on a dinner here, even with the discount. Catering Regional Sale Manager was very insightful and helpful.

Cons

Worse General Manager ever
    Will cut your hours and at the last moment
    Will get in trouble for lack of sales on rainy, snowy days smh
    Accountable for events that are out of your control
    LOW salary for a lot of work
    I was told to walk $600 of catering food to an event in a snow storm with a push cart and was not given any tip even though there is a manadatory delivery fee that Catering specialists never see. Many will not even tip because of this mandatory fee.
     General Managers will lie and throw you under the bus for ridiculous reasons. My manager knew cashiers were keeping surveys and giving fake reviews and allowed it so that the store can look better.

Your general managers will set the tone of the store. If you are constantly seeing people quit and unhappy, it is probably the managers they have to deal with and the low salary that they are receiving.

One of the worst jobs

Former Employee - Line Worker : Bakery  in  Round Rock, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Line Worker : Bakery in Round Rock, TX (US)

Pros

$8.50 per hour. Good looking Bakery

Cons

Bad employees, discrimination, filthy, over-worked, understaffed, ill-prepared, potential health hazard, bad scheduling, VERY bad training, re-used past date food

ALWAYS schedule bussers when busiest ! Get the employees more involved, train them better so they ALL know what to do ! Arguing with staff is unacceptable. Discrimination uncalled for. Couldn't do it as a part time job, won't make a career out of it ! Make working here a place that feels like home and not just a paycheck !

The plantation

Pros

pay comes on time but its not enough to survive

Cons

horrible pay, you can not pay your bills with this plus they only give you about 30-33 hrs a week. management just cares about how much the store made that day, they will cut your hours so they can save money, be rude, get into arguments. The busboy at my location told our GM he was getting burned by the washing chemicals and she told him there was nothing she could do. He asked her repeatedly to get him some gloves, she said no and he ended up buying his own on his 8/hr budget. She knew he was a recent immigrant by himself and she gave no cares.

Care

Operating under constant stress and intimidation.

Former Employee - I T at Corporate HQ  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - I T at Corporate HQ in Dallas, TX (US)

Pros

Outside of the I.T. department the company knows how to have fun. All hands meetings and holiday events have a lot of generous gifts and fun give-a-ways done at various offsite locations. Lots of catering and employees bringing in baked goods, there always seems to be good food around. Employee discount at cafes is a nice perk.

Cons

Within the network group of the I.T. department: a very rigid top-down hierarchical corporate structure that is heavily compartmentalized, little room for advancement, no empowerment to make decisions or ability to collaborate with peers, and no respectful questioning of decisions that are made in private by micro-managing bosses with absent scruples and hair trigger tempers who operate under the philosophy of Procrustean Rule.

I.T. Management openly bullies and speaks ill of sub-ordinates and it is not uncommon for managers to publicly dress down an employee in front of peers (personally witnessed multiple times). This is a very do what you are told, don't question me or be fired type of place.

This is a hostile work environment where the ends always justify the means. Human Resources appears to strictly be there to protect the company; employees have little to no means of legitimate recourse from unjust treatment. Keep your dignity and stay far away from this place.

The company vision, mission, and culture that the executive team says they want is disconnected from the actual reality of what is in practice by middle and lower management. Which begs the question, what are the true values of the company?

The network management team must be replaced by true and competent leaders that can successfully implement projects without major disruptions to daily operations of the cafes and are able to treat staff with dignity and respect.

Not a career type of job

Former Employee - Service Assistant  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Service Assistant in Atlanta, GA (US)

Pros

Some guests are actually really nice! One could level with them and talk as if you've known each other forever. You'll know who the best workers are immediately. Able to be an asset immediately. The hard work guarantees more hours.

Cons

You'll also have a lot of mean guests. Some expect special treatment and that's fine, it's the ones that want more than that are what could run your day, as they usually travel in packs. You'll also know that most of the employees are lazy and would rather be on their phones or joking around. A lot of unprofessional attitudes toward the guests. Asking for a raise is blasphemous. Managers undermine each other and discipline is inconsistent. Your advancement relies on butt kissing, noy merits.

If you would like to keep good help, treat good help well and take care of them.

Worked for La Madeleine? Contribute to the Community!