La Fosse Associates

Updated 25 February, 2015
Updated 25 February, 2015
3.5

Simon La Fosse

A fast-paced and ambitious company for those who thrive in a close-knit team.

I have been working at La Fosse Associates full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The first word that comes to mind is integrity. From the beginning, Simon La Fosse’s goal was to build an organisation that differentiated itself from its competition by treating people well (staff, candidates and clients alike). The organisation has expanded rapidly in the time I have been here and it is great to see the values have not diluted at all. I am sure the shared-ownership model is the key to the culture. Everyone here recognises that the long-term success of the company is dependent on the long-term success of all of the individuals within it. This means that everyone is not just willing to help each other but they actively want to. This is a great place to work and I cannot see myself working anywhere that doesn’t share these values.

Cons

For obvious reasons the company is looking to grow and this means that there are other activities that sit outside of your day job; running candidate care events, training new starters, hosting networking evenings as well as supporting the various company sports teams (netball, football, rugby etc.). Working as a team is everyone’s cup of tea and those who would prefer to be independent operators will find it harder to adapt to the La Fosse team culture.

Keep recruiting positive high-performers. No exceptions.

High performance & great team

I have been working at La Fosse Associates

Pros

Everyone here is given the freedom (and corresponding responsibility) to accelerate their careers as quickly as possible. Its a real meritocracy, backed up with a great level of support - not just from management, but from peers. The fact that we all have options in the company helps keep everyone pulling together. Its not just about success though, I think there is a strong sense of purpose - we are trying to do something different in the industry by treating candidates well, so there is a collective pride in being known for that.

Cons

I have found if I work twice as hard & twice as smart, I progress 4 times as quick. Some people struggle with the hard work bit - if you are after a lifestyle job where you are spoon fed, this wont be for you, but I think its great when you have a team around you who keep going when the going gets tough!

Maybe a more practical working exercise as part of assessing people at interview to work out if they are really up for it, or just say they are.

Great company to work for

I have been working at La Fosse Associates full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It's a company that really looks after the employees. There are obvious benefits that they offer like gym membership, monthly massages, fresh fruit and croissants in the morning, but I think what makes the company special is the people that work here. Everyone not only cares about the company performance, but also about each other. If you need advice, there is always somebody to lend a hand. Also, they are very good at trying new things. If something isn't working, it is easy to just leave it and say - "that's the way it is", but La Fosse will make an active effort to try and change things and try out new ideas. Culture wise, they are trying to make a difference in the industry externally by treating people well, but this is also reflected internally. There is no internal competition, people look to help each other rather than work against one another and if you are the right person you will really thrive in this environment.

Cons

I think some people can become disillusioned about the job, or have a preconceived idea of what it will be like before starting. One thing to stress is that it's not easy, there are highs and lows, but I think as far as recruitment companies go La Fosse really do stand out. Of course people leave, which is normal for a company that hires a lot of graduates, but the people that leave are either not the right culture fit, or aren't emotionally strong enough to deal with when things aren't going well for them. It's important to remember that the most successful people here have gone through hard times too.

It's hard to maintain the culture of a small company when you grow very rapidly, so focus on hiring the right people culturally as well as looking at their experience to make sure that this is maintained over time.

Don't do it.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at La Fosse Associates full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Hard to think of any. I still admire JP and Simon La Fosse, and I did make some friends during my time there.

Cons

I left La Fosse because the culture and stress became so unbearable I was regularly having anxiety attacks. And of ne of my colleagues had a panic attack and had to go to A&E! My line manager wouldn't let me take annual leave and was incredibly callous and unsupportive. He kept changing my promotion targets and I began to wonder if this was just so he'd continue to take the commission instead of me.
    All of my friends at work felt the same and unfortunately many have left. One - who started smoking and became an alcoholic due to the stress -is now completely recovered, simply because she escaped the toxic environment.
    Oh and did I mention the crazy high threshold and high turnover? Apparently the culture continues to go downhill now that most of the employees are grads/1st jobbers.

Consider where the culture is going and do something about it.

The awards make it sound like an enjoyable place to work, but ultimately not a productive or supportive work culture

I worked at La Fosse Associates

Pros

If you're highly competitive, tough, and totally money-driven you'll enjoy it here.
    La Fosse also let's employees go to the gym or leave the office at lunch, and it's nice to have that autonomy, but I also did work 12+ hour days and this seemed to be the norm.
    There are some lovely, driven, smart and energetic people working there.
    End of week meetings always have an ample supply of wine, beer and soft drinks.
    Annual ski trip and christmas party is pretty good fun and well organised.

Cons

It seems that it is getting increasingly difficult to take annual or sick leave (unless you give a great deal of notice and it's not during "peak season") and most people seem to work absurd hours.
    It's generally quite an unsupportive culture without a clear point of contact if you want to talk about anything HR/Personnel related.
    The commission structure is good so long as you can consistently bill a lot every single month consistently. There is a relatively high threshold which seems to be a deliberate tactic to force people out who are in 'deficit' after not billing enough in 1+ months.
    Poor career advancement and rules keep changing on what needs to be achieved to be promoted.
    Almost everyone appears to be stressed and exhausted.
    Lots of people leaving and restructuring has affected morale.

A great place to work with fantastic colleagues and rapid career development opportunities!

I have been working at La Fosse Associates full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The senior management team and CEO genuinely live by the values that they teach as best practice.

A shared employee ownership model means that everyone is working together and pulling in the same direction.

You can progress very quickly, both in terms of career development and also compensation. There is a comprehensive training scheme to support this.

A fantastic office environment (table tennis table, business casual dress code, and a great location)

Cons

Hard to say really. I enjoy working here and am encouraged by like minded, motivated colleagues in a high performing environment. If I had to say anything it would be that work life balance can be challenging at times.

Keep doing what you're doing - continuing to lead by example.

Setting ourselves apart from the rest. Working together as a team so we all achieve success.

I have been working at La Fosse Associates full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

In the recruitment industry it is very competitive in the past companies I have worked for this has meant that internal competition has gone beyond healthy and has been detrimental to the business. We have internal incentives to have a bit of fun however generally we all work together and there is no us/them culture between offices. We are very well rewarded and looked after. The directors have a strong vision and the employees share it there's a real sense that we're all wanting to head in the same direction.

My colleagues are some of the best in the industry and quite frankly as a result they keep you on your toes, we are constantly on a learning curve at any level! The graduate training scheme we have now is the best I have worked on with trainees in my career. We use external trainers, our senior leaders, and also newer graduates to the company who have excelled in specific areas to give expertise advice.

We are a young organisation and as such there are many career opportunities up for grabs as areas are still being defined. You have the opportunity to get on the bus early! Many of our graduates that joined us early on in are now managing consultants! There is a clear and defined structure to become Team Leader and its well within graduates means when they join.

Cons

We aren't as well known as some of our competitors in some areas. As we're ambitious and entrepreneurial there is a great deal of rapid change this could be a con for some people

Continue to change and adapt the training scheme.

wonderful culture and values

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at La Fosse Associates full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Really lovely bunch of people. Everyone is ambitious, hard working but they also really care for each other.
    I've never worked in a place like it. We're also trying to give candidates a really good experience even if we can't place them. I think this contributes to the vibe and makes the job much more rewarding.

Cons

Everyone works hard and it's difficult to find that work life balance all of the time.
    We are always growing as fast as we can and whilst it's fun it also means that things never stay the same for long.

Keep on ensuring that candidate care is as good as it can be . Keep on doing everything you do to look after the employees. These are the two things that make the company what it is and if we stay focused on them we will continue to be successful and enjoy what we do.

Busy

Current Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at La Fosse Associates full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Inspiring Leadership, but not middle management

Cons

No Training or development plans

Introduce a Training Scheme