La Fosse Associates Reviews

3.8
Simon La Fosse

1. Think twice if you're not a top 5% biller

I have been working at La Fosse Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Young company, very sociable and friendly, great buzz in the office.

Perks including gym pass, monthly hypnotherapy, monthly massages, ski trip, great parties and regular team days and nights out.

Simon La Fosse and James Parker are genuinely caring and want the company to be a great place to work.

Cons

The one huge thing that nobody seems to be told about before joining is the deficit. Yes, commission is a flat 33%, but only on earnings above the £6-8k threshold to your name. If you don't cover it, it carries over into the next month. Some people spend literally years working themselves into the ground paying off the deficit they've accrued and making no money in commission despite good billings. If you are not sure you will instantly and consistently bill very highly, you would be better off at another firm. Additionally, since threshold is based on base salary, this encourages employees to accept it being kept very low (often their graduate salary), which gradually erodes your market value and means you're not insured against having poor months.

The company has odd priorities with spending - all the perks are great, but they refuse to invest in a decent database (the one they have is terrible, basically not used by most people, and crashes 2-3 times a day) and you have to fight tooth and nail for a Linkedin Premium account which (in many cases) is crucial for headhunting.

The company is very persistent in marketing itself as an autonomous, entrepreneurial business, with no KPIs. This is simply no longer the case, which is not necessarily a problem, but people should be aware of it. There are absolutely KPIs, whatever name they go under, and there's no shame in that (it is a sales company!).

The real problem is that as it has grown the company has failed to implement proper rules around candidate/client ownership and splits. That, combined with the fact that the database is very underused, means that whereas before colleagues would share information, now they keep it to themselves for fear of losing money they think they deserve, and there have been many cases where people feel 'screwed over' by their colleagues, resent it, but cannot voice it.

It used to be the case that you could try new things and be quite entrepreneurial, but now most of your choices are decided for you by middle management. Again, this is fine, as long as this is what the new employees are expecting.

Advice to Management

Prioritise recruitment tools over spending on social events - there's only so happy you can be without the necessary tools to do your job. Invest in a decent database and enforce its use (people come and go - the strength of the database is the only real value for your employees as shareholders).

Implement proper rules around commission and splits which will work in a scalable model.

Stop marketing the company as something it is not - be honest with candidates about the limitations and the pitfalls of, not just doing recruitment, but doing recruitment at La Fosse.

2. Great culture, lots of perks for those who are up for it....

I have been working at La Fosse Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A fun place to work in a very collegiate environment which is unusual for a recruitment company.
    Its not for everyone but that applies to the industry as a whole and not just to La Fosse.
    A great opportunity to make serious money as they have the most financially rewarding commission scheme in the industry. You do obviously have to work hard to earn this - nothing is for free!
    Some complain about the long hours and pressure, sure that exists but there is no limit to what you can earn - the harder you work the more you make, simple, you dont have to earn lots of money if you dont want too....
    Pressure? Yes that naturally exists but no more than any other high performing company would have.
    The company really looks after the well being of its employees, they provide breakfast everyday, gym, massages, hypnotherapy, friday drinks, company outings and ski trips to name a few.....

Cons

As a recruiter/sales person you have to get used to rejection as that will happen all the time. It can be demoralising especially when you have targets to meet. You will need higher than normal emotional intelligence and perseverance for this job.

Advice to Management

Make sure the culture and values does not get lost as the company grows.

3. Pioneering candidate care in the recruitment industry and supporting employees at all levels

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at La Fosse Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

La Fosse is role modelling how to support its staff and care for its candidates in a genuine attempt to achieve a step change in the recruitment industry. I have recently joined to bring HR and L&D expertise, which will help the organisation scale in line with its values of integrity, innovation and outstanding delivery. Growing the company without compromising the exemplary culture that it was built around is the highest priority for senior management and they are very keen to listen to all employee ideas on how to achieve this. It is what excited me about this opportunity and all company actions and decisions are consistently in line with this goal. With over 8 years of experience in the recruitment industry, I am acutely aware of how special and unique the environment is here and how extensively integrity, inclusion and collaborative working is encouraged and rewarded. For example, as well as working in their own vertical markets, consultants operate in account teams across executive search, perm, contract and contingent. This way, the integrity of our business model as a full service technology and digital recruiter is maintained, all account team members take shared ownership for the performance of the team overall and, therefore, collaborative working is automatic.

Cons

To date, there have been some variations in how employees are onboarded and developed. This has been due to the absence of a dedicated individual to own and champion the L&D and HR function. It is my role to do this and ensure that there are learning and career development programmes and options in place for all, across sales and operations.

Advice to Management

Continue to constantly question every decision that is made to ensure it is consistently aligned to maintaining and evolving our culture as we grow.

5. A fast-paced and ambitious company for those who thrive in a close-knit team.

I have been working at La Fosse Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The first word that comes to mind is integrity. From the beginning, Simon La Fosse’s goal was to build an organisation that differentiated itself from its competition by treating people well (staff, candidates and clients alike). The organisation has expanded rapidly in the time I have been here and it is great to see the values have not diluted at all. I am sure the shared-ownership model is the key to the culture. Everyone here recognises that the long-term success of the company is dependent on the long-term success of all of the individuals within it. This means that everyone is not just willing to help each other but they actively want to. This is a great place to work and I cannot see myself working anywhere that doesn’t share these values.

Cons

For obvious reasons the company is looking to grow and this means that there are other activities that sit outside of your day job; running candidate care events, training new starters, hosting networking evenings as well as supporting the various company sports teams (netball, football, rugby etc.). Working as a team is everyone’s cup of tea and those who would prefer to be independent operators will find it harder to adapt to the La Fosse team culture.

Advice to Management

Keep recruiting positive high-performers. No exceptions.

6. High performance & great team

I have been working at La Fosse Associates

Pros

Everyone here is given the freedom (and corresponding responsibility) to accelerate their careers as quickly as possible. Its a real meritocracy, backed up with a great level of support - not just from management, but from peers. The fact that we all have options in the company helps keep everyone pulling together. Its not just about success though, I think there is a strong sense of purpose - we are trying to do something different in the industry by treating candidates well, so there is a collective pride in being known for that.

Cons

I have found if I work twice as hard & twice as smart, I progress 4 times as quick. Some people struggle with the hard work bit - if you are after a lifestyle job where you are spoon fed, this wont be for you, but I think its great when you have a team around you who keep going when the going gets tough!

Advice to Management

Maybe a more practical working exercise as part of assessing people at interview to work out if they are really up for it, or just say they are.

7. Great company to work for

I have been working at La Fosse Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a company that really looks after the employees. There are obvious benefits that they offer like gym membership, monthly massages, fresh fruit and croissants in the morning, but I think what makes the company special is the people that work here. Everyone not only cares about the company performance, but also about each other. If you need advice, there is always somebody to lend a hand. Also, they are very good at trying new things. If something isn't working, it is easy to just leave it and say - "that's the way it is", but La Fosse will make an active effort to try and change things and try out new ideas. Culture wise, they are trying to make a difference in the industry externally by treating people well, but this is also reflected internally. There is no internal competition, people look to help each other rather than work against one another and if you are the right person you will really thrive in this environment.

Cons

I think some people can become disillusioned about the job, or have a preconceived idea of what it will be like before starting. One thing to stress is that it's not easy, there are highs and lows, but I think as far as recruitment companies go La Fosse really do stand out. Of course people leave, which is normal for a company that hires a lot of graduates, but the people that leave are either not the right culture fit, or aren't emotionally strong enough to deal with when things aren't going well for them. It's important to remember that the most successful people here have gone through hard times too.

Advice to Management

It's hard to maintain the culture of a small company when you grow very rapidly, so focus on hiring the right people culturally as well as looking at their experience to make sure that this is maintained over time.

Don't do it.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at La Fosse Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hard to think of any. I still admire JP and Simon La Fosse, and I did make some friends during my time there.

Cons

I left La Fosse because the culture and stress became so unbearable I was regularly having anxiety attacks. And of ne of my colleagues had a panic attack and had to go to A&E! My line manager wouldn't let me take annual leave and was incredibly callous and unsupportive. He kept changing my promotion targets and I began to wonder if this was just so he'd continue to take the commission instead of me.
    All of my friends at work felt the same and unfortunately many have left. One - who started smoking and became an alcoholic due to the stress -is now completely recovered, simply because she escaped the toxic environment.
    Oh and did I mention the crazy high threshold and high turnover? Apparently the culture continues to go downhill now that most of the employees are grads/1st jobbers.

Advice to Management

Consider where the culture is going and do something about it.

9. The awards make it sound like an enjoyable place to work, but ultimately not a productive or supportive work culture

I worked at La Fosse Associates

Pros

If you're highly competitive, tough, and totally money-driven you'll enjoy it here.
    La Fosse also let's employees go to the gym or leave the office at lunch, and it's nice to have that autonomy, but I also did work 12+ hour days and this seemed to be the norm.
    There are some lovely, driven, smart and energetic people working there.
    End of week meetings always have an ample supply of wine, beer and soft drinks.
    Annual ski trip and christmas party is pretty good fun and well organised.

Cons

It seems that it is getting increasingly difficult to take annual or sick leave (unless you give a great deal of notice and it's not during "peak season") and most people seem to work absurd hours.
    It's generally quite an unsupportive culture without a clear point of contact if you want to talk about anything HR/Personnel related.
    The commission structure is good so long as you can consistently bill a lot every single month consistently. There is a relatively high threshold which seems to be a deliberate tactic to force people out who are in 'deficit' after not billing enough in 1+ months.
    Poor career advancement and rules keep changing on what needs to be achieved to be promoted.
    Almost everyone appears to be stressed and exhausted.
    Lots of people leaving and restructuring has affected morale.

10. A great place to work with fantastic colleagues and rapid career development opportunities!

I have been working at La Fosse Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The senior management team and CEO genuinely live by the values that they teach as best practice.

A shared employee ownership model means that everyone is working together and pulling in the same direction.

You can progress very quickly, both in terms of career development and also compensation. There is a comprehensive training scheme to support this.

A fantastic office environment (table tennis table, business casual dress code, and a great location)

Cons

Hard to say really. I enjoy working here and am encouraged by like minded, motivated colleagues in a high performing environment. If I had to say anything it would be that work life balance can be challenging at times.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing - continuing to lead by example.

11. Setting ourselves apart from the rest. Working together as a team so we all achieve success.

I have been working at La Fosse Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

In the recruitment industry it is very competitive in the past companies I have worked for this has meant that internal competition has gone beyond healthy and has been detrimental to the business. We have internal incentives to have a bit of fun however generally we all work together and there is no us/them culture between offices. We are very well rewarded and looked after. The directors have a strong vision and the employees share it there's a real sense that we're all wanting to head in the same direction.

My colleagues are some of the best in the industry and quite frankly as a result they keep you on your toes, we are constantly on a learning curve at any level! The graduate training scheme we have now is the best I have worked on with trainees in my career. We use external trainers, our senior leaders, and also newer graduates to the company who have excelled in specific areas to give expertise advice.

We are a young organisation and as such there are many career opportunities up for grabs as areas are still being defined. You have the opportunity to get on the bus early! Many of our graduates that joined us early on in are now managing consultants! There is a clear and defined structure to become Team Leader and its well within graduates means when they join.

Cons

We aren't as well known as some of our competitors in some areas. As we're ambitious and entrepreneurial there is a great deal of rapid change this could be a con for some people

Advice to Management

Continue to change and adapt the training scheme.