Kroger Reviews

2.9
1,490 Reviews

Kroger CEO Rodney McMullen
Rodney McMullen

Pros
  • Flexible schedule, working to serve the people of your own community and friendly coworkers (in 66 reviews)

• Paid holidays (4 hours) & paid vacation available for part time (in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is tough because I had to work a different schedule every day/week (in 43 reviews)

• Krogers way of cutting out full time, long tenured workers who have given them 20-30 (in 75 reviews)

More Highlights

awful

I worked at Kroger

Pros

ok hours
    good location
    co workers are nice

Cons

pay is awful
    no good benefits
    management is disorganized

be a leader and don't have favorites

Steady Union Job

Former Employee - Produce Clerk  in  Richmond, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Produce Clerk in Richmond, CA (US)

I worked at Kroger part-time for more than a year

Pros

Union membership, good medical/dental benefits, everything pretty much above board with respect to management's expectations and standards. My supervisors made their expectations clear to me and provided useful feedback that helped me improve my work. I did not feel attacked or belittled by their coaching.

Cons

Wages fairly low and schedule inconsistent. The store schedule is written by a computer program and managers have very little freedom to modify the computer-generated schedule to better match the needs of the store and the employees. In my department, I rarely worked less than 40 hours per week, but I have known other employees, especially cashiers, who frequently could not get enough hours to pay their bills. Some of them had to make up the difference by jumping at any opportunity to come in on their scheduled days off or stay late when asked. This meant changing their personal schedules at the last possible minute and prevented them from making many commitments outside of work.

Broadly speaking, the store culture is good. The biggest problems are computer-generated schedules and insufficient hours. Employees, especially newer employees and people who work on the front end (i.e., cashiers), often have to to deal with significantly different schedules from one week to the next, as well as significant fluctuations in the number of hours for which they're scheduled. This keeps employees in a state of perpetual limbo wherein it's difficult for them to budget and make commitments (i.e., scheduling childcare, participating in social or religious groups) outside of work. These problems are endemic to retail work in the United States and will almost certainly be resolved only through union negotiations and federal/state legislation.

Better treatment elsewhere

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Raleigh, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Cashier in Raleigh, NC (US)

I worked at Kroger part-time for more than a year

Pros

Perhaps it says more about specific people I worked with versus the company, but those in charge of the schedule made sure that I did not receive odd work hours. For example, I was not given closing shifts and opening shifts consecutively.

Cons

I don't feel that there was a lot of respect for people who filled certain roles. Baggers and those who performed custodial duties were not always treated well.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Toughest 4 years in my corporate life considering the fact that it is just Retail business for heavens sake.

Current Employee - Co Manager  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Co Manager in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Kroger full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Clique running the show and God help you if you are on the wrong end of the stick. Good Management introduction training. Compensation is fair but working hours negates the fairness.

Cons

Fair. You may find very progressive new generation managers but otherwise most stores are run by old school folks who are unforgiving and very rigid to new ideas. Red leaders.

NA

Working here is a secure chaos.

I have been working at Kroger part-time

Pros

Well, as long as you don't steal anything, it's really hard to get fired. If you put in for says off, you pretty much get them if you do it ahead of time.

Cons

Pay sucks. Managers usually aren't on the same page.

They need to learn to discuss things and be on the same page, and fire the correct people.

deli

I have been working at Kroger

Pros

only ok for school job

Cons

not really enoungh to make a living

Decent company...

Current Employee - IT  in  Cincinnati, OH (US)
    Current Employee - IT in Cincinnati, OH (US)

I have been working at Kroger full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent work/life balance.
    Discounts on Kroger products and gas.
    Great opportunities to travel to other US locations to work with others on the company dime.
    Benefits are good.
    All the free food you can eat.

Cons

Pays staff employees below market value.
    Unorganized and at times management is not reasonable.
    Behind on current technology and systems.
    Lack of funding for different projects and recent company travel because of current budget restraints.

Listen to some of the ideas of the employees that could benefit the company and try to stop distancing from the family oriented work environment from the past.

Alright, for a short term fix.

Current Employee - Associate  in  Fort Worth, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Associate in Fort Worth, TX (US)

I have been working at Kroger part-time for less than a year

Pros

Long hours so working minimum wage is almost livable.

Cons

The people around you are unhappy, they lie to you to get you to accept the job and then forget about you. Some of the lies I was told were that I would get a free coffee every day at the starbucks, that I would be working in the furniture department, that I would receive good benefits, and that my breaks and hours would be regulated and upheld by the company and even the union they practically force you into. Bad training and then blamed in your performance review that you don't work hard enough. Applied as part time and working full time hours. Slow to get raises if you do at all. I am a part-time, minimum wage (7.45 an hour) floor associate and some nights I am forced to work and close the entire home department by myself. That includes baby, toy, domestics, home decor. Four HUGE sub departments. It's ridiculous.

Stable Job

Current Employee - IT Intern  in  Cincinnati, OH (US)
    Current Employee - IT Intern in Cincinnati, OH (US)

I have been working at Kroger as an intern for more than a year

Pros

Good pay and they treat employees well. Many different departments that were easy to transfer between. They gave opportunities to get free training as well.

Cons

Big company that if you were not proactive you could easily be lost and not have many responsibilities.

Good company to work for but typical retail hours

Current Employee - Assistant Customer Service Manager  in  Lawrenceville, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Customer Service Manager in Lawrenceville, GA (US)

I have been working at Kroger full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Opportunities to move around the store are often available, advancement isn't too difficult but pay is slow to follow. Hours are flexible and great for students. Benefits are inexpensive.

Cons

Retail hours, weekends, and holidays. Pay is slow to increase. Sometimes the office politics prevent growth and advancement. Benefits are great for full time employees and their children, but spousal coverage is being dropped in the Atlanta Division.

Appreciate your people the way you want them to appreciate their customers.

Worked for Kroger? Contribute to the Community!