Kroger Reviews

2.9
1,509 Reviews

Kroger CEO Rodney McMullen
Rodney McMullen

Pros
  • Flexible schedule, working to serve the people of your own community and friendly coworkers (in 66 reviews)

• Paid holidays (4 hours) & paid vacation available for part time (in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is tough because I had to work a different schedule every day/week (in 43 reviews)

• Krogers way of cutting out full time, long tenured workers who have given them 20-30 (in 75 reviews)

More Highlights

awful

I worked at Kroger

Pros

ok hours
    good location
    co workers are nice

Cons

pay is awful
    no good benefits
    management is disorganized

be a leader and don't have favorites

Good company, but the union allows people to become complacent and rewards seniority while ignoring merit.

Current Employee - Assistant Customer Service Manager  in  Rochester, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Customer Service Manager in Rochester, MI (US)

I have been working at Kroger full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great senior Leadership who have a passion for what they do and an exciting vision for the future.
    Good benefits, flexible schedule.

Cons

It is difficult to fire someone for not doing their job because of very strong union protection, this provides job security, but it also keeps people complacent and unmotivated.
    New hires have to plan for a corporate career if they hope to make good money.
    There is little to no store level management support, often causing good workers to become dissatisfied and lose hope.

Work towards having the store management team with the department heads to engage associates and create the environment that is so clearly sought after by the company leadership.

Good place to start

Former Employee - Starbucks Barista  in  Athens, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Starbucks Barista in Athens, GA (US)

I worked at Kroger part-time

Pros

They'll work with your schedule if you're going to school or have a second job. There are advancements opportunities within the company. This is a union company, which is like job security. It's nearly impossible to get fired unless you steal, so please don't be stupid and steal anything. It's very easy to transfer to another store if you would like to, especially if you want to move to another city.
    I enjoyed most of the customers - you get to know a variety of people and eventually you'll have "regulars."

Cons

Management is hit or miss. Some managers are smart, efficient, and friendly. Others are completely incompetent jerks. I noticed more often than not that the more deserving employees do not get promotions, but the management's "favorites" get them instead.
    Training in the Starbucks kiosk was definitely lacking. Kroger has much lower standards than Starbucks, and it shows.
    Also, there always seemed to be drama between employees - all the time! I kept my distance from everyone except people in my department.

Keep moral high, Happy employees = happy customers.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Store Management

Current Employee - Co-Manager  in  Cincinnati, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Co-Manager in Cincinnati, OH (US)

I have been working at Kroger full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay especially with bonus and stock options. Lots of room for growth.

Cons

Long hours. Work life balance can be a challenge especially if you are placed at a store that operates with short handed in management.

Continue what you are doing the company is doing very well. Consider sharing some of the profits with your hourly associates as it is hard to keep people working when you start them at minimum wage.

Great company to work for

I have been working at Kroger

Pros

Competitive benefits, decisions made with customer in mind, lots of initiatives internally going on for sustainability, social compliance and quality product.

Cons

Still have difficulty collaborating with silos, communication sometimes lacking, prohibitions aren't always easy unless you change departments which could mean shift in career.

Need better communication from top down with initiatives and sensitive topics like not getting a promotion.

Leadership is key

Former Employee - Assistant Department Manager  in  Richmond, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Department Manager in Richmond, VA (US)

I worked at Kroger full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good advancement opportunities for patient hard workers

Cons

Little upside
    weak middle and upper management

Find middle managers who are collaborative

Excellent! Very Flexible

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Memphis, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Memphis, TN (US)

I have been working at Kroger part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Kroger is very flexible when working around your schedule!

Cons

Terrible Management. As someone who is going into the social work profession, managers do not know how to effectively communicate with their employees.

Work on being professional

A nice store, but incredibly stressful job

I have been working at Kroger part-time for more than a year

Pros

A very active Union that keeps most things fair, raises based on hours worked, and overall Kroger has very nice people working there and is a much more upstanding enviornment than most grocery stores. I don't make use of the health care but it is a great offer for those who need it. Coworkers are all friendly and most of the managers are understanding. Training is a gradual process after initial information, which helped.

In cons I talk about how many coworkers are leaving, which leaves at least one thing - you can progress to higher places in your area from training. I could take up the offer to learn to bake in the mornings or decorate cakes, but I know the stress isn't worth the slightly higher paycheck.

If you put that you can't work certain days or times into the system, they will abide by that unless emergency strikes. I had no problem going to college and working at the same time.

Cons

Hours are incredibly inconsistent. I was hired for part time and while some weeks I'll get the more predictable 24 or 32 hours, sometimes it will be full time hours and even then I'll need to work overtime. Just last night I was there for eleven hours on a Wednesday because we're short staffed in the Bakery division. You have no idea what days you'll work or when, so don't bother having an outside life. Even when you put in days you need off ages from now, you have to badger your higher-ups to get it into the system.

The stress and the low pay is driving away our better employees, with one baker having already left, one coworker transfering to Starbucks, and our only other baker saying he wants to transfer to Meat. And despite being short staffed we're not given any more hours. Next door to us is the Deli division, which is renowned for being the worst place to work in the store with an extremely high turnover rate and they often drag us Bakery workers over there, one reason my coworker is leaving.

Due to the stress and how much they ask one person to do, especially the closer, it makes workers pessimistic. I'm told that I still care about how well I'm doing, which is actually an awful thing that keeps me there forever and I cannot complete everything they want me to in a shift. Even though I'm guarenteed breaks by the Union I haven't taken any in months because I don't have the time, and as such my health has really declined since I have no time to eat.

Decent company...

Current Employee - IT  in  Cincinnati, OH (US)
    Current Employee - IT in Cincinnati, OH (US)

I have been working at Kroger full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent work/life balance.
    Discounts on Kroger products and gas.
    Great opportunities to travel to other US locations to work with others on the company dime.
    Benefits are good.
    All the free food you can eat.

Cons

Pays staff employees below market value.
    Unorganized and at times management is not reasonable.
    Behind on current technology and systems.
    Lack of funding for different projects and recent company travel because of current budget restraints.

Listen to some of the ideas of the employees that could benefit the company and try to stop distancing from the family oriented work environment from the past.

OK place to work

Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician  in  Marion, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Marion, IL (US)

I have been working at Kroger part-time for more than a year

Pros

My Pharm Dept is the greatest. We are like family and I work with truly caring people.

Cons

Other departments act like they are better than everyone - the entire store does not seem to get along like those in individual departments

Pay your people better and treat them like they are worthy of you.

Worked for Kroger? Contribute to the Community!