Kroger Reviews

2.9
1,550 Reviews

Kroger CEO Rodney McMullen
Rodney McMullen

Pros
  • Flexible schedule, working to serve the people of your own community and friendly coworkers (in 72 reviews)

• Paid holidays (4 hours) & paid vacation available for part time (in 56 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is tough because I had to work a different schedule every day/week (in 47 reviews)

• Krogers way of cutting out full time, long tenured workers who have given them 20-30 (in 89 reviews)

More Highlights

awful

I worked at Kroger

Pros

ok hours
    good location
    co workers are nice

Cons

pay is awful
    no good benefits
    management is disorganized

be a leader and don't have favorites

Good company, but the union allows people to become complacent and rewards seniority while ignoring merit.

Current Employee - Assistant Customer Service Manager  in  Rochester, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Customer Service Manager in Rochester, MI (US)

I have been working at Kroger full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great senior Leadership who have a passion for what they do and an exciting vision for the future.
    Good benefits, flexible schedule.

Cons

It is difficult to fire someone for not doing their job because of very strong union protection, this provides job security, but it also keeps people complacent and unmotivated.
    New hires have to plan for a corporate career if they hope to make good money.
    There is little to no store level management support, often causing good workers to become dissatisfied and lose hope.

Work towards having the store management team with the department heads to engage associates and create the environment that is so clearly sought after by the company leadership.

Grateful for employment!

Current Employee - Front End Cashier  in  Pasadena, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Pasadena, TX (US)

I have been working at Kroger part-time

Pros

Im able to meet new people. And build good relationships with some of the awewome co workers. We laugh and make the time go by faster.

Cons

Some of the Management has no clue on how to talk to its employees. They feel its ok to belittle you. And when you stand up for yourself they claim you have an attitude. Some of the store managers amaze me that they are even managers. They are clueless without fail when it comes to when we need help. "Whomp whomp." They know and love to bark at us but they dont know how to do simple things. Oh and they seem to not know how to follow your availability. And racist customers I would love to put them in their places lol

Learn how to be a help to the cashiers. And talk to the employees like we matter. We all play a part In helping Kroger be a successful company. Respect the associates and you will have a peaceful flow and

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I have been employee for a little over a year.

Current Employee - Front End Cashier
    Current Employee - Front End Cashier

I have been working at Kroger part-time for more than a year

Pros

I really enjoy the friendly faces of the diverse shoppers that come everyday, getting paid weekly is a plus and there is a reward program that recognizes my hard work.

Cons

At times I sense that there is a lot of special treatment going on among the Supervisors there and I would like to be allowed to transfer to a a non-union store but that is against policy which i find ridiculous.

Come out of your offices sometimes and engage with your employees make them feel like they are on the same time as you are.

Bagger

Former Employee - Bagger  in  Cincinnati, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Bagger in Cincinnati, OH (US)

I worked at Kroger full-time for less than a year

Pros

Kroger is a great place to work.

Cons

I can't think of any cons I really enjoyed working at Kroger.

Keep up the good work.

What you would expect

I have been working at Kroger

Pros

Flexible scheudling and the union does protect full timers.

Cons

No ability to opt out of the union and management doesn't listen to the needs of the common workers.

Eh.

Current Employee - Meat Clerk  in  Toledo, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Meat Clerk in Toledo, OH (US)

I have been working at Kroger part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible hours. No scheduling conflicts between work and my college classes. The people I work with are pretty good. The work is easy.

Cons

Low pay. Very low pay. After union dues, you will be making less than minimum wage. Walmart and McDonalds pay more. Seriously.

Remember that your employees can only do so much when you do not provide enough hours to get work done. They expect too much considering the low pay and benefits for non topped out workers.

Coworkers were good, management was not so good.

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Katy, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Cashier in Katy, TX (US)

I have been working at Kroger part-time for more than a year

Pros

Everyone I worked with was nice and the hours were good, they worked around my schedule well.

Cons

The pay was really low for the amount of stress and work that cashiers were put through. Getting yelled at by angry customers due to the bad management of the store was not worth 7.45 an hour. That's why I ended up quitting.

The wages at Kroger are the lowest in the grocery industry, or at least that I've seen so far. You might wanna catch up to the rest of the industry. And try to care about your employees more, it seems as if the managers and supervisors (at my store at least) only cared about work and that was it.

Everything is great, except for pay

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician  in  Cordova, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Cordova, TN (US)

I have been working at Kroger part-time for more than a year

Pros

Kroger pays for your licensing and will reimburse you for a passed certification test.
    Classes are available to increase your pay.
    Management seems to get things done in a timely manner
    Customers are first but they will also protect their employees if they are not in the wrong

Cons

Starting pay is terrible; one of the the lowest among retail pharmacies.
    There is always the chance to run into terrible customers

Decent First Job

Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk  in  Commerce Township, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Commerce Township, MI (US)

I worked at Kroger part-time for less than a year

Pros

Being a Courtesy Clerk I was a front end employee and got to meet many people. The hours were flexible and minimum wage is minimum wage.

Cons

Taking off days was hard to do. In the winter I was outside for long periods of time, same for rainy weather.

Paying more than minimum wage is beneficial in the long run for both employees and employers.

Worked for Kroger? Contribute to the Community!