Koch Industries

Be The First To
Add Photos

Koch Industries Chairman and CEO Charles G. Koch

Charles G. Koch

Pros
  • The core principles and business philosophies are sound and strongly advocated by the owner who is in his mid-70s (in 3 reviews)

• Intellectual challenge, smart folks and a company that is not afraid to take risks (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is poor, especially if you work in Atlanta (in 5 reviews)

• The long hours were due mainly to poor software (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Professionalism in Specialized Engineering Priciples

IT Consultant (Former Employee) Calgary, AB

ProsKoch is a clear thinking Company

ConsToo much travel too often

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more specialists, develop technology within, R&D

N/A

Engineer (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsLarge global company. Well known in the industry.

ConsLow salary. Long distance to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Meh

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsInteresting work in the Energy industry. Smart people, for the most part.

ConsBetter drink the Kool Aid or you won't amount to much. Too much red tape to get anything done. Long hours, don't expect a raise for several years after you join if you work in Accounting or IT.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetain your employees. Offer more opportunities for advancement. "Level Setting" is barbaric.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Place to Start Off Your Career

Tax Intern (Current Employee) Wichita, KS (US)

ProsPays Well
    Benefits
    A Lot of Training
    Leadership

ConsDiversity is not a big part of this company
    Work-Life Balance

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate and build a relationship with lower level workers. They work just as hard as you.

Big company (with small company ideas) struggling to figure out how to successfully absorb very different acquisitions

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe core principles and business philosophies are sound and strongly advocated by the owner who is in his mid-70s.

ConsA large segment of middle to upper lever managers are from other business cultures and do not fully embrace the guiding principles. It is not a transparent organization. Politics and back room maneuvering still drive decisions and promotions. The owner's direct involvement in driving this culture down below his immediate leaders is likely limited due to physical security issues for him. Plenty of managers promoted from technical ranks but no real leaders. The Peter Principle is in force in many management roles.

Advice to Senior ManagementTop leaders should try to get out of Wichita and get direct feedback from the front lines to understand what is really going on. The message from the front is being cleaned up and deodorized before it gets sent all the way up. Leaders should ask the front line who the "servant leaders" are, and who walks the talk.

It is all about creating value.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe companies core values are more than just words on paper, the employees wear it on the sleeves. The availability of training is quite good especially in the realm of Market Based Management (MBM). Good training for supervisors. This isn't a company that quibbles about $.02 on an business expense as long as you can show that it was a legitimate expense. Employee population heavily involved in giving back to the community.

ConsThe pace can become "fast and furious" at times, maintaining focus, knowing what value you bring are important to keep in front of you.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay the course!

Awesome place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe people are fantastic to work with

ConsHours can be long and the travel

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to them more often

Koch brothers bought G/P and changed many things at its Huntsville Al. facility.

Second Helper (Former Employee) Huntsville, AL (US)

ProsThe corrugated box manufacturing plant was a terrible work environment when I began the job. I needed a paycheck so that is why I stayed for six months with perfect attendance before leaving.

ConsWhen Koch bros. bought G/P it got worse. My job title and many other employees was deleted, which dropped my pay and piled on more duties and responsibilities. If you work for any of their divisions, I warn you. They don't care about the amount of service and years you may have worked for them, in fact, it could cost you your job. I saw many with 20 plus yrs. lose their jobs costing them retirement benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementI am the little guy and would not expect the management to listen to an underappreciated former employee. Thanks for leaving this bad taste in my mouth for G/P, Koch Industries and all products produced by the company.

Great culture

Financial Analyst (Former Employee) Wichita, KS (US)

ProsPersonal accountability, Meritocracy, Great People

ConsNone. I really loved working at Koch.

Slave Driver

Accountant III (Former Employee) Wichita, KS (US)

ProsGood Advancement opportunities.. Ability to move around and explore different accounting positions

ConsHorrible work home life balance... I was working 80 hours a week for 6 months straight.. I also had a baby a toddler and a little one at home. When I brought up the situation to my boss I was told "to move up in the world you have to make sacrifices" I left after that.. I'm not willing to sacrifice my family... The work atmosphere is like high school.. there is a lot of clicks and office gossip.. not a very friendly professional atmosphere.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork home life balance is extremely important... get that in line and employee morale will boost.. along with productivity.. You need to care and show you care about your employees in and out of work.

Worked for Koch Industries? Contribute to the Community!