Kinross Gold

Updated 25 June, 2014

3.9

Kinross Gold CEO J. Paul Rollinson
J. Paul Rollinson

Great place to work, has opened up several doors for me

Current Employee - Intern  in  Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Intern in Toronto, ON

Pros

Energetic culture - People come from diverse backgrounds (consulting, HR, IT, Investment Banking, Mining Engineering) but almost all seem smart and motivated.

Cons

The company is somewhat stretched right now, some people have more work than they have time to tend to

Minimize costs even during commodity bull cycles

Fantastic work culture, great people, limited opportunity to grow

Former Employee - Annon  in  Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Annon in Toronto, ON

Pros

Work with passionate knowledgeable people
    Excellent work environment
    Very collaborative culture
    Generous comp and ben
    Exposure to global breadth
    Very good CSR

Cons

Leadership team can't make up their mind. Continual changes and often feels like you're peddling in circles
    Promote people development, but there is no room for movement
    Big company with silo roles
    Business is highly volatile to gold price.

Allow decisions or action plans time to mature and play out

"A 'Title' driven culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

Pros

Great pay and benefits. Decent culture depending on the department in which you work. CEO Paul Rollinson is hard working, personable and forward thinking.

Cons

High performance culture = No work/life balance. They get a pound of flesh for every dollar they pay you. Too much favouritism for internal advancement. Human Resources march to the beat of their own drum. Does not follow their own policies and should not be trusted.

Toronto office management should consider modelling the company values on a more consistent basis.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good experience

Current Employee - Project Manager IT Infrastructure  in  Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Project Manager IT Infrastructure in Toronto, ON

Pros

Very god overall company culture.

Cons

Working with so many different time zones is sometime challenging

Good company

Pros

You could gain experience and responsibility if you were willing to put in effort.

Cons

The company experienced a decline and resources and opportunities declined.

It's good

Current Employee - IT Specialist  in  Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - IT Specialist in Toronto, ON

Pros

It's a diversified work environment

Cons

To much work to be done by fewer employees

Working hours to be minimized.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

Pros

- Excellent culture, very warm and inviting
    - Fast paced environment
    - Plenty of room for advancement and opportunities to learn and grow

Cons

- It is important to rest when possible because the pace is very fast

A bad company in a cultural desert

Former Employee - Tech Services  in  Round Mountain, NV (US)
    Former Employee - Tech Services in Round Mountain, NV (US)

Pros

The compensation is good and the lack of things to do allows you to save money. If you like the desert there is PLENTY of it. For those with little education, this is one of the last places in America where a high school grad can work up to making over $100k a year.

Cons

There is nothing as far as housing goes unless you get company housing. Even then depending on specific situations, the company will take your non-company house. Everything is at least a 3 hour drive away, including medical attention. The people are very closed off and unwelcoming.

To anyone potentially interested in working for Kinross at Round Mountain Gold Mine:

My immediate manager was AMAZING! He was very supportive and gave me a lot of confidence in myself. He was not a very hands of manager, yet very easily approachable on any matter. He sent me to and brought in tons of training courses and really built my education on very specific tools in my job. If it were not for all the other horrible things about the company and life Round Mountain gives I would still be working for him.

Now, the rest of management is another story. The whole system is a haggard, nepotistic organization. It ties closely to how small the community is (750 people). There is a very strong 'clique' feeling to the company and in other departments outside of the one I was in, people have been known to bully others to the point where they are run out of town. They have meetings for EVERYTHING including meetings to plan meeting (seriously). There is a very strong corporate presence that, especially HR, will use for their own gains. Depending on who a person may be, they will either allow them to do as they please. To others they quickly turn to the policy manual and reprimand them. They uphold a code of accountability that most upper management blatantly does not adhere to.

When I took the job I was given a relocation package, a moving allowance, and promised a specific company house and told that within the year it would get a new deck and front porch. I also negotiated an annual salary ~$3500 more then their original offer.

When I showed up I was not immediately given the relocation allowance that I was told would be disperse the moment I got there. I was put in a much smaller and older home then the one promised.Also, I later found out that they had not been paying me the agreed salary, but rather what they originally offered. This oversight affected money awarded to my 401k, health and life insurance, taxes for that year and the following, and stock contributions. In the near 2 years I worked and lived there they never built the deck or porch.

The last thing is that the place, Round mountain is an incredibly isolated town. In the classification of municipalities it is not considered a rural town, but rather a frontier town. The community of Round Mountain is made up of the Old Town of Round mountain (ghost town), Hadley subdivision, Carvers, and Manhattan. Old Town, Carvers, and Hadley are about 10 mile radius away from one another. Hadley is the newest area and was largely developed by the mine. Its a trailer town with a school (k-12). There are a few sports fields, and indoor pool that is only open June to August. The library is staffed by very wonderful and sweet people. There is a gas station that is privately owned and sells sandwiches. And last but not least the General store. Owned and operated by the mine, it is a total hustle. All products are marked up, especially beer, wine, and liquor. There is limited selection but they do take orders by the case of different products. The only upside is that the company subsidizes meat and you get good beef and chicken. DO NOT eat the pork or fish.

In the area there are no restaurants within an hour's driving distance; Tonopah offers very little option with only a Mexican restaurant, a Burger King and few hotel and casino restaurants. There is a bar in Hadley, one in Carvers, and one in Manhattan, each with their own vibe, but all pretty much the same rundown desert watering hole.

Good company, difficult work

Pros

The benefits can't be beat. Very competitive retirement. Rural living in rugged & beautiful country, 'big city' pay without the big city hastles. This company does not want to lose it's biggest asset (labor force) and stays competitive when it comes to 'perks'. When layoffs occur they started at the top (corporate office), as opposed to the bottom.

Cons

As with any publicly traded business, the bottom line is what matters. The pace can be grueling and the stress level is always high - proessional staff must fight for and guard personal time; taking time to rest is a discipline that must be practised. Environmental regulations are insane (in Washington State anyway). Job longevity is limited due to the finite nature of ore, and the near prohibition state/federal regulations have placed on exploration.

Keep listening to your workforce. We know you by what you do, not by what you say.

i have able to live in a good life and safety matters

Current Employee - Security  in  Chirano (Ghana)
    Current Employee - Security in Chirano (Ghana)

Pros

Kinross allways put peoples first.

Cons

salary review is low as compare to other mining.

very encouragement

Worked for Kinross Gold? Contribute to the Community!