King Soopers

Be The First To
Add Photos

King Soopers President Russ Dispense

Russ Dispense

Pros:
  • "good pay if you can get a decent position and benefits do to union"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Most of the employees are good people trying to do the best they can"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "With this job being only a part-time, I could only wish it was a full-time job, or I would still be there working"
    in 7 reviews
  • "low pay in the beginning, but once you hit journeyman wages, it is very good"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

King Soopers Deli Management Position

Deli Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at King Soopers for more than 3 years

ProsThe company is expanding in the market creating excellent job security. Union benefits are extraordinarily good. 401k available. Excellent plan for future deli growth of sales.

ConsTurnover of crew is higher then I expected. Not directly involved in hiring process. Union system precludes normal rewards for employees- better schedules and raises etc... Union scheduling combined with company needs and programs precludes flexible schedules for clerks. Hard (impossible with low seniority) to schedule around school or second jobs. Hasn't been an increase to base clerk hiring wage since March 2005. This has caused a slow deterioration in the quality of new clerks. No budgeted training hours forces new hires into trial by fire situation. All of this puts an additional strain on the management team.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Asst manager

Deli Assistant Manager (Current Employee)
Littleton, CO (US)

I have been working at King Soopers full-time for more than a year

ProsPay is good and so are benefits

ConsStore managers can be awful or incredible but it can make or break how you like being a manager

Opportunities if you are willing to sell your soul, and be a "yes" person.

Department Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at King Soopers full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe people you work with outside of upper management are great. They have to go through the same stuff you do. The health benefits are good, room for growth, if you really want it. The pay is better than most retailers in management, but be prepared to work very hard for it.

ConsBecoming too much like their parent company back east - "Kroger". More of a corporate program company, chasing numbers, with no regards to how it affects store level personnel. Very much a who knows who company and how long you have worked for them when it comes to promotions. Experience only goes so far, time in goes further. Still very much a boy's club. The union system is restrictive in scheduling - it is seniority driven, with no regards to who is best qualified to do the job. So you end up with a lot of do nothing employees, with union protection. Departmental management has no say in hiring, most departments are typically 3-5 people short. Causing management to work long hours to get the work done, and forcing hours and overtime on personnel whom do not want it.

Advice to Senior ManagementCustomer First is really great, but as a company King Soopers needs to start respecting it's employees, and be more flexible with part-time employees schedules.

Bad job if you're a student.

Courtesy Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee)
Broomfield, CO (US)

I worked at King Soopers part-time for less than a year

ProsIt's a nice, social environment. The coworkers and management were incredibly friendly. It was a good experience for a first job. It's easy to move up in positions - I was trained as a cashier after working there for only a month.

ConsThe hours (maybe it's just at this location) were not flexible at all and they had me working 30+ hours while I was trying to finish my last semester of high school. Courtesy Clerks get paid minimum wage to collect carts outside in extreme weather (whether it's 100 degrees or below zero). Very fast-paced environment.

Decent enough for what it was

Cashier (Former Employee)

I worked at King Soopers part-time for less than a year

ProsWeekly pay check, met some really great people.

ConsUnpredictable schedules that may conflict with a school schedule if you're a student. I was told when I applied that my work schedule would not conflict with my school schedule; unfortunately, that was not always the case. Breaks and lunches are not always guaranteed, no matter how long you work during the day. Some managers get shrewd and mark off breaks you never took or push off lunches so other, older employees can take their lunches at preferred times.

My schedule was consistently changed after the posted time, rarely with any heads up regarding the change. Honestly, it's a game of getting good management versus those who are on the verge of retiring or want to be seen as up-and-comers for their own promotions.

There is little respect for your life outside of the company. Even if I worked an eight hour shift overnight, I could still count on my phone ringing less than three hours after I clocked out so they could call me back in. I had the unfortunate luck of being threatened with termination if I didn't come in, all because the manager on duty read the schedule wrong and assumed I was late to work (which I had never been).

Training: There was none for some aspects of the job, like balancing the overnight till on self-checkout.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect that your employees are intelligent beings with lives outside of the corporation. We are not robots that can be commanded do to one task until the end of time or until our batteries need replacing. That being said, please don't skirt around the truth when employees ask about the specifics of a certain item. We can read and understand that a credit card is a credit card, no matter what fancy name you give it.

Patience is a virtue, full-time not so easy at the store level.

Customer Service Clerk (Current Employee)

I have been working at King Soopers part-time for more than a year

ProsStore manager and department managers are good people and want good people.

ConsStart pay low and full time hours are very difficult to come by.

Advice to Senior ManagementTraining is average or less although there is a lot of Computer based training (CBT). One session of CBT does not help when your on the grocery floor with a customer in front of you.
Computer based scheduling makes a department managers job very difficult when they are trying to do what's best for both the department and the crew.

King's is your typical corporate business...profits on the shoulders of the employees.

Bakery Clerk (Current Employee)

I have been working at King Soopers part-time for less than a year

ProsMost of the employees are good people trying to do the best they can.

ConsUnrealistic expectations for minimum wage.

Advice to Senior ManagementPick one focus and stick to it. Trying to be all things to all people typically results in poor customer service.

Cashier - Great company, nice stores, customers suck, be wary of unions

Cashier (Former Employee)
Evergreen, CO (US)

I worked at King Soopers part-time for more than a year

ProsWilling to schedule around school, decent pay, easy to change depts. and/or advance, solid company structure, competent management, great training, nice environment

ConsHigh turnover, not much or too much culture, ometimes corporate policy can be annoying, some depts. are union, which may be a pro for some. And you can't blame the company, but they do attract some snobby customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementTransferring employees to different stores when they advance to management is not always the best solution.

solid time

Barista (Current Employee)

I have been working at King Soopers part-time for more than a year

Prosoffice culture was on point, people were nice and friendly and i was able to learn a lot in the short time i was there

Consthe hours are tough, after a while it gets very boring and you feel like you do the same thing everyday

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

clerk

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at King Soopers

Prosloved the job itself but......

Consthe management would tell you lies!

Worked for King Soopers? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at King Soopers reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for King Soopers CEO Russ Dispense. All 102 reviews are posted anonymously by King Soopers employees.