King Soopers

Updated 20 August, 2014

2.9

King Soopers President Russ Dispense
Russ Dispense

Pros
  • good pay if you can get a decent position and benefits do to union (in 12 reviews)

• Good benefits, you meet great people (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • With this job being only a part-time, I could only wish it was a full-time job, or I would still be there working (in 7 reviews)

• low pay in the beginning, but once you hit journeyman wages, it is very good (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

King Soopers is a Kroger Company and it is an awesome company to work for.

Current Employee - Management  in  Denver, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Management in Denver, CO (US)

Pros

Many opportunities and long term employment.

Cons

Although King Soopers has tried to focus on work-life balance, that remains an on-going struggle.

Work Life Balance needs more focus.

Hard work, little pay.

Current Employee - Bakery Clerk  in  Loveland, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Bakery Clerk in Loveland, CO (US)

Pros

Coworkers are friendly, and I love my regular customers. It's a good place to learn how to work hard. I've learned a lot of valuable skills here.
    If management was more professional and understanding towards employees under them, this would be a wonderful place to work.

Cons

Management is disrespectful. I'm afraid to ask questions, because I'm always treated like I'm stupid, no matter how legitimate the question is. Training was a joke, management expects perfection on the second day of training, I've watched too many people quit because expectations were too high, too soon. (for god's sake give somebody at least 2 weeks to get to know the product!)
    Pay should be higher, not because the work is hard, or the customers demanding, BUT the management is emotionally draining.

We are not your verbal punching bags, we're your employees, we're human.
    Don't belittle employees every time they have questions.
    We have lives outside of King Soopers, scheduling at the very last minute is discouraging.
    Not calling employees when you change their shift for the very next day and they won't see the change until it's too late...unprofessional, irresponsible, and says a lot about how much you care about your employees.

Good

Pros

Money, customers, benefits, hours,locations could become a career

Cons

Management, clicks, unprofessional, hours, debt work with several schedule

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Family Life, Forget About It!

Former Employee - Assistant General Merchandise Department Manager  in  Denver, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant General Merchandise Department Manager in Denver, CO (US)

Pros

Can advance quickly if you are highly motivated, and hard working

Cons

You are owned by the company. If you are looking for a balance of work and a family, this job isn't for you!

Treat your employees with the same measure of dignity and respect you show your customers

Overworked and underpaid. The management is generally, young and as a result arrogant and insensitive.

Pros

Other employees are kind, hard-working people. The intake training is very good. Minimum wage is not enough to live on. Turnover rate is very high.

Cons

Little support for employees trying to go to school.

Get organized and keep your promises.

Dissapointing

Former Employee - Deli Clerk  in  Fort Collins, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Fort Collins, CO (US)

Pros

The best benefit to working at Kroger is that you can easily work. As long as you pass a drug test, and appear upbeat you will be hired at any King Soopers store. There are several stores opening throughout North America and you can transfer to different locations upon request. As long as you have passed the probation period. The job is also very repetitive so you can quickly learn your job duties. If you work in the Deli department, like i did...you can sample foods whenever there is free time and no customers to help.

Cons

I would never recommend working for this company because it is too political, there are favorites. It has a seniority based structure so there are many new people working themselves to the bone( with very little reward) while a select few make double the pay and pass all the job duties to those with less seniority. There is no schedule flexibility....those higher few choose the hours they want and everyone else is stuck with the rest. Commonly you will work weekends and late evenings and any other peak business hour, holiday, etc. Schedules are always changing without prior notice and you are expected to have perfect attendance. You will not be able to request time off for vacation or shift swap. You may be required to pay weekly union dues depending on which department you are in.ultimately you will be hassled by seniors to maintain a high level of output without training and with little help. You will be payed next to nothing and will work outrageously hard. Work injuries are extremely common. The stores are always under staffed and thus very busy. The job is so physical you will be in pain by the end of your work day. Back, neck, feet, eyes, arms, all sore. It is way too much work and expectations for way too little compensation. YOU WILL HATE YOUR LIFE.

I have learned how to work with the public , and found that it is something I enjoy doing.

Former Employee - Deli Manager  in  Denver, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Deli Manager in Denver, CO (US)

Pros

I enjoyed working for King Soopers because I was able to work with the public , talking to different people everyday hearing people talk about there lives. you become friends with customers.

Cons

Managers are not always fair, they form an opinion of you before they really get to know you, especially if you transfer from another store, they read your file and pass judgment on you, if you are PT you are lucky to get 20 hours a week and even if you are making journeyman wages its hard to make ends meet, and if you have another job they do not work with you they think that King Soopers should be your life

to always work hard, be fair, never pass judgment and do the best you can, never give up, treat people the way you want to be treated

Okay place to work

Current Employee - Grocery Clerk
    Current Employee - Grocery Clerk

Pros

Co-workers are a lot of fun and there's a good team spirit.

Cons

Managers tend to be chosen by length of service instead of competence for the job. Almost-insane regard for long years of service. Dept. managers chosen by "who's next in line," instead of critical examination of the person's skills, leadership abilities, and maturity.

Share some of the benefits of "first-tier" employees with the large and growing number of underpaid "second-tier" employees.

Beware the hiring hoopla and non-disclosures

Former Employee - Culinary Head Chef  in  Denver, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Culinary Head Chef in Denver, CO (US)

Pros

Decent pay, in a pinch. Long-term pay is a joke.

Cons

They tend to hire individuals into their organization at whatever the company's maximum salary cap is for that position. This makes the job look like it pays more on paper and, to be fair, it does - technically. The difference is, after that, there are NO MORE RAISES. Cost-of-living increases, sure - but nothing based upon merit. This, then, dis-incentivizes anyone to actually care about their job.

Review HR policies and practices, and loosen the grip on the wallet. In my time there, I've watched star employees leave due to the wall they hit with their pay.

Happy at first, became miserable later

Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk  in  Lafayette, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Lafayette, CO (US)

Pros

Paid breaks and management was willing to work with my vacations.

Cons

8-hour shifts all the time and starting way too early in the morning were strenuous and sometimes I got shifts until 11:45 PM. Everyone needs sleep. Customers there were a pain too.

Worked for King Soopers? Contribute to the Community!