King Soopers

Be The First To
Add Photos

King Soopers President Russ Dispense

Russ Dispense

Pros
  • good pay if you can get a decent position and benefits do to union (in 12 reviews)

• Good benefits, you meet great people (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • With this job being only a part-time, I could only wish it was a full-time job, or I would still be there working (in 7 reviews)

• low pay in the beginning, but once you hit journeyman wages, it is very good (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

I have learned how to work with the public , and found that it is something I enjoy doing.

Deli Manager (Former Employee) Denver, CO (US)

ProsI enjoyed working for King Soopers because I was able to work with the public , talking to different people everyday hearing people talk about there lives. you become friends with customers.

ConsManagers are not always fair, they form an opinion of you before they really get to know you, especially if you transfer from another store, they read your file and pass judgment on you, if you are PT you are lucky to get 20 hours a week and even if you are making journeyman wages its hard to make ends meet, and if you have another job they do not work with you they think that King Soopers should be your life

Advice to Senior Managementto always work hard, be fair, never pass judgment and do the best you can, never give up, treat people the way you want to be treated

Dissapointing

Deli Clerk (Former Employee) Fort Collins, CO (US)

ProsThe best benefit to working at Kroger is that you can easily work. As long as you pass a drug test, and appear upbeat you will be hired at any King Soopers store. There are several stores opening throughout North America and you can transfer to different locations upon request. As long as you have passed the probation period. The job is also very repetitive so you can quickly learn your job duties. If you work in the Deli department, like i did...you can sample foods whenever there is free time and no customers to help.

ConsI would never recommend working for this company because it is too political, there are favorites. It has a seniority based structure so there are many new people working themselves to the bone( with very little reward) while a select few make double the pay and pass all the job duties to those with less seniority. There is no schedule flexibility....those higher few choose the hours they want and everyone else is stuck with the rest. Commonly you will work weekends and late evenings and any other peak business hour, holiday, etc. Schedules are always changing without prior notice and you are expected to have perfect attendance. You will not be able to request time off for vacation or shift swap. You may be required to pay weekly union dues depending on which department you are in.ultimately you will be hassled by seniors to maintain a high level of output without training and with little help. You will be payed next to nothing and will work outrageously hard. Work injuries are extremely common. The stores are always under staffed and thus very busy. The job is so physical you will be in pain by the end of your work day. Back, neck, feet, eyes, arms, all sore. It is way too much work and expectations for way too little compensation. YOU WILL HATE YOUR LIFE.

Okay place to work

Grocery Clerk (Current Employee)

ProsCo-workers are a lot of fun and there's a good team spirit.

ConsManagers tend to be chosen by length of service instead of competence for the job. Almost-insane regard for long years of service. Dept. managers chosen by "who's next in line," instead of critical examination of the person's skills, leadership abilities, and maturity.

Advice to Senior ManagementShare some of the benefits of "first-tier" employees with the large and growing number of underpaid "second-tier" employees.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Beware the hiring hoopla and non-disclosures

Culinary Head Chef (Former Employee) Denver, CO (US)

ProsDecent pay, in a pinch. Long-term pay is a joke.

ConsThey tend to hire individuals into their organization at whatever the company's maximum salary cap is for that position. This makes the job look like it pays more on paper and, to be fair, it does - technically. The difference is, after that, there are NO MORE RAISES. Cost-of-living increases, sure - but nothing based upon merit. This, then, dis-incentivizes anyone to actually care about their job.

Advice to Senior ManagementReview HR policies and practices, and loosen the grip on the wallet. In my time there, I've watched star employees leave due to the wall they hit with their pay.

In the beginning it was great, as time went on it wasn't so great.

Retail Clerk (Current Employee) Denver, CO (US)

ProsGood benefits, you meet great people.

ConsLately was is expected is more and more. If you need time off and you're new, don't plan on it.

Advice to Senior ManagementI wish they were more considerate of their employees.

Two years of a massive headache.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe only reason i liked working there was the fellow co workers that I grew to become friends with.

ConsThe entire management team has to be the con at the store that I worked at. The only person that would be excluded from that is a head clerk that was very awesome and treated everyone with respect. The people I'm talking about is BOTH assistant managers, and the main store manager. I'm going to give you a very condensed version of what happened with me. Essentially, the beginning of the end of my two year rein at kingsoopers started when a customer accused me of opening up chemicals that some how got all over her floor and "ruined her floor." The management, took me into "the booth" as we call it, and basically accused me of opening the chemicals. One of the assistant managers I guess got copies of the pictures that she took of her ruined floor and showed me them talking to me as if I ruined the floor. Needless to say after that all happened, I filed a grievance with the union. After that one grievance, it spiraled out of control from there they basically started targeting me for EVERYTHING. One day, I was allowed to go home early, but before I was on carts when I left I had filled the carts up as much as I could for one person. The next day, they call me in the office and give me a verbal warning because I "left no carts in the store" when I know I filled it up as best as I could for one person. The manager informed me that I could come in and ask for help if I'm having trouble keeping up. {fast forward a couple weeks or so this is what led me to walk out, but I didn't quit} I was on carts and couldn't keep up because it was beyond busy! I came in asked for help and was ignored completely! So when I was done with my hour I came back in and was made to go back out and I asked for help and was promised to have someone go out there with me! I was out there for 15 minutes, and noticed NO one out there. I went back in and I had another cc come up and tell me that the manager told them not to go out and help me GREAT management right so I went over to the time clock, clocked out and left!!! I did come back the next day and was put on suspension, but I got union involved so I was on my fifth and final. Needless to say they didn't stop targeting me I was even called in the office once because I didn't "smile at the assistant manager or any of the customers" WHILE I WAS ON CARTS MIND YOU?ridiculous. Needless to say and wrapping this up I was eventually fired because of them targeting me. I was fired for calling off for TWO days without a doctors note when its THREE OR MORE. They say that it was because I was on my fifth and final, but it doesn't matter its going against THEIR OWN policy. Also I was fired on the 24th of may, and its JUNE 16!!!! and I haven't got my last check!!!! and I got a hold of the labor board.

screwed

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe customers are great, my co-workers became friends.

ConsThe management sucked! Store manager the worst! Lied many times, if it was good he would take credit, if it was bad it was the employee that got in trouble! He has my back--yes with a knife in it!

Asst manager

Deli Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Littleton, CO (US)

ProsPay is good and so are benefits

ConsStore managers can be awful or incredible but it can make or break how you like being a manager

Bad job if you're a student.

Courtesy Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) Broomfield, CO (US)

ProsIt's a nice, social environment. The coworkers and management were incredibly friendly. It was a good experience for a first job. It's easy to move up in positions - I was trained as a cashier after working there for only a month.

ConsThe hours (maybe it's just at this location) were not flexible at all and they had me working 30+ hours while I was trying to finish my last semester of high school. Courtesy Clerks get paid minimum wage to collect carts outside in extreme weather (whether it's 100 degrees or below zero). Very fast-paced environment.

King Soopers Deli Management Position

Deli Manager (Current Employee) Denver, CO (US)

ProsThe company is expanding in the market creating excellent job security. Union benefits are extraordinarily good. 401k available. Excellent plan for future deli growth of sales.

ConsTurnover of crew is higher then I expected. Not directly involved in hiring process. Union system precludes normal rewards for employees- better schedules and raises etc... Union scheduling combined with company needs and programs precludes flexible schedules for clerks. Hard (impossible with low seniority) to schedule around school or second jobs. Hasn't been an increase to base clerk hiring wage since March 2005. This has caused a slow deterioration in the quality of new clerks. No budgeted training hours forces new hires into trial by fire situation. All of this puts an additional strain on the management team.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for King Soopers? Contribute to the Community!