Kindercare Reviews

Updated 9 October, 2014
2.3

Kindercare CEO Elanna S. Yalow
Elanna S. Yalow

Pros
  • It's a joy working with children and creating relationships with families (in 10 reviews)

• Great families and children, very rewarding to watch the children grow (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • High turnover rate of teachers due to low pay (in 16 reviews)

• Abusive Upper-Management especially at a regional level (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Management needs some work

Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Sacramento, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Sacramento, CA (US)

I worked at Kindercare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The salary I received, which seems to be better than most, seemed fair for the industry.
    They offer good medical benefits since many preschools do not offer any.
    As with any business some management teams are better than others.
    Most of the teachers truly care about the children but that should be an expectation if they are working with children.
    My efforts were recognized and my raise displayed that. Again, a lot depends on the management team.

Cons

Unfortunately those teachers that have infant/toddler units are pigeon hole into those age groups. Regardless of the fact you may be teaching another age group you are continually being pulled back into that age group because it takes specialized units to work with this age group. KinderCare does nothing to promote it's employees even if you directly ask the distract manager. Sad!

Lesson plans are out of a book created by those without degrees in the field, which leaves little creativity for the teachers. The are NOT child directed schools, actually very far from it.

Art boards have to meet corporate standards and you can only use specific colors and layouts. Very institutional and is not geared towards the child. Additionally, many directors do not have the formal education you would expect for someone solely responsible for running a center. But, in all fairness KinderCare is not the only company that directors do not have a formal education.

Breaks are not consistent, although you get paid for missed breaks, that is not the point. Teachers can't leave the room as it is they deserve to have their breaks and got off at their scheduled times.

Directors and upper management should have Child Development background and realize that preschools should be for the children. But, most preschools unfortunately don't believe this philosophy.

I love interacting with the children and talking to parents.

Current Employee - Preschool Teacher in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Preschool Teacher in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Kindercare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The kids are the best part of the day. They always let you know that you are appreciated.

Cons

Some of the challenges are finding enough time in your day to get your curriculum done. Also, it is a high stress job.

I have really good management at my center so the only thing I would say we need is some perks like free lunch every once in a while.

A tolerable job for the hours and pay...

Current Employee - Toddler Teacher
    Current Employee - Toddler Teacher

I have been working at Kindercare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Ok benefits,hours, some coworkers were really nice, management understood work/life balance and tried their best to work with employees schedules

Cons

The things that Corporate lays out for teachers to do throughout the day is a VERY fast paced curriculum, especially for the younger groups like the Toddlers and Discovery Preschool. Too much to do and never enough time. If you want to get ahead, plan on coming early and staying late, or i guess you could just never take a break when you're at work. When i was extremely stressed in my room and needed a break, nothing was done. There were MANY times when I was overwhelmed and not much was done to fix it, I was on my own. There was SO MUCH expected of us and we poured our heart and soul into our classrooms and kids, but yet received no praise or any sort of rewards, monetary or otherwise.
    Another thing that bothered me was some of the people they hired. You may ask yourself, " How in the world did that person get a job here?" No offense to those who do not speak English well, but in working at a daycare, and any place really, when you are taking care of kids and talking to parents you NEED to be able to speak English well. Perhaps not fluently, but well enough so people can hold a conversation. Some of the people management hired should have lost their jobs a LONG time before anything was done about it, though employees kept bringing it up, they did not do anything until it was absolutely necessary.
    One of my biggest pet peeves is the juggling of kids. To save money on staffing teachers, they would just move kids up or down rooms in order to keep the numbers within ratio so you would only need one teacher. But the parents are paying for a certain class right? Their kids are a certain age, and should have age appropriate learning, right? Wrong. Guess that doesn't matter. They always try and maximize their profits with little consideration for the teachers whom it directly affects. Shoving 13 toddlers into a small room just because the max is 14 is what they aim for. They sent up infants to the toddler room just because of age, NOT because they were developmentally ready, including being able to WALK, or at least crawl.
    All in all, working there was exhausting but sometimes rewarding because you can make a difference in kids' lives, if you don't burn out first.

Listen to your staff and understand where THEY are coming from. THEY are in the classrooms ALL the time, while you are not. Acknowledge those who do good, solid work and take initiative instead of those who get away with everything, you may have a happier staff. It helps to have management that is very encouraging and understanding because childcare is very stressful and hectic.

Would be better with better management

Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Overland Park, KS (US)
    Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Overland Park, KS (US)

I worked at Kindercare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working here was only tolerable because of this children. And most of the families were pretty great too.

Cons

The center director was wildly unqualified. We got zero to no help from corporate when any issues arose. No one really knew what was expected of them and yet, everyone was told they weren't meeting expectations.

Know what's going on in each center. Hire directors that actually know what they are doing. A lot of cattiness and favoritism was going on at the hand of the under-qualified director and her asinine assistant,.

Average childcare

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH (US)

I have been working at Kindercare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pay is decent, corporate emphasis on education, benefits package is ok, staff seem to really care about each other

Cons

Too much time spent on watching hours and not enough on training teachers, more of a child care service than a school

You get out what you're willing to put in. Give teachers more time to prep and do their jobs well.

OK experience

Current Employee - Assistant Center Director
    Current Employee - Assistant Center Director

I have been working at Kindercare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great people, able to bring my child with me to work

Cons

Disorganized, poor training, low employee morale

Loved working at KinderCare, left only due to relocation

Former Employee - Center Director in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Center Director in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at Kindercare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Child care discount, autonomy, resources, support, benefits

Cons

The only challenges were the ones that are industry wide.

I loved how much flexibility and autonomy was extended to directors, and therefore could be extended to staff. If centers were performing well good things came to you. I am with Bright Horizons now and I regret there are no KinderCare centers in my area; KinderCare was by far a superior place to work!

Don't care about their employees or students, just bottom dollar

I have been working at Kindercare (more than 10 years)

Pros

Childcare discount, curriculum is great.

Cons

Long hours, under appreciated, under paid.no wonder they can't find staff!

Hire upper management with Childcare experience and not from retail!

Very Unorganized

Former Employee - Pre-kindergarten Teacher in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Pre-kindergarten Teacher in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I worked at Kindercare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The families were the best part, most of them.

Cons

Poor management and follow through, horrible turn over.

Get educated and experienced in the field

The teachers and students are the reason Kindercare still stands.

Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Lisle, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Lisle, IL (US)

I worked at Kindercare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It is a good place to work if you have the passion to teach and over look the lack of respect from center director.
    Company is supposed to be family oriented but that only relates to paying families.

Cons

Management have no regards for their staffs and no opportunity for growth. There is always a high rate for turn over due to lack of enough hours.

Appreciate your teachers because they give a lot to their students and are not paid enough.

Kindercare Photos