Kindercare

Kindercare Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Kindercare CEO Elanna S. Yalow

Elanna S. Yalow

Pros:
  • "Working with children infant - school age is truly a rewarding experience"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Got to make a difference in children's lives"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "low pay, not many chances to move up within company"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Abusive Upper-Management especially at a regional level"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good Company

Teacher (Current Employee)
Miami Lakes, FL (US)

I have been working at Kindercare full-time for less than a year

ProsRoom to advance, to grow. Love the regional manager and the director :) i feel like this center is one big family. very happy here.

Conslarge corp. sometimes the employees get forgotten. parents come first even though teacher may be right, x

Advice to Senior Managementcommunication

Overall great experience working for KinderCare

Twos Teacher (Former Employee)
Lawrence, KS (US)

I worked at Kindercare full-time for less than a year

ProsWorking at KinderCare inspired me to go back to school and paved the way for my future. I learned a lot about working in a professional childcare facility during my time at KinderCare and I formed some very special bonds.

ConsThe branch where I worked was going through many transitions during my time there, which made it difficult to find consistency in leadership. However, I believe this can be the case with many childcare facilities.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would have liked more visuals/packets/guidelines on rules and procedures during the initial training, as well as reminders/guides throughout the facility. Things can get a bit hectic and busy during the day, so I think simple reminders/guides would help everyone follow procedures at all times--in turn helping the facility to be better run.

Kindercare :)

I have been working at Kindercare full-time

ProsAmazing staff, great location, it is wonderful profession, and there are professional development days twice a year. It's a fun place to work in.

ConsThere have been times when my hours were cut which I didn't like. Also, the pay is not the best considering that I have a B.S. Working with a bunch of women can also be problematic.

Could have been better...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Boston, MA (US)

I worked at Kindercare full-time

ProsThe people you work with really do love the kids.

ConsThe pay was menial, 10 hours days, management did not observe out of ratio classes, no sick or vacation days until after a year...

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate the teachers that are giving 100% everyday. If you can't do it with pay or benefits, at least a "thank you" or "you're appreciated" will do.

If you want to help children thrive while their parents are working this is a good start to a career in childcare.

Lead Infant Teacher (Former Employee)
Mill Creek, WA (US)

I worked at Kindercare full-time for less than a year

ProsCoworkers do work together and have each others support when a day is long or particularly difficult. The parents in this area are great and I loved caring for their babies while they had to go to work. I also like that they provide parents with a sheet at the end of each day that shows what they have eaten, bathroom frequency and what they were taught or experienced each day. We are there to support the parents as well as the children, because it is hard to leave your infant and go back to work.

ConsNo overtime, usually no more than 38 hours for full time. Most cannot afford benifits such as medical insurance on the hourly wage offered. There is a lot of turnaround in childcare, which I also saw with this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure that there is enough staff so that all teachers can have bathroom breaks when needed, without having to wait more than 5 or so minutes.

Kindercare is just about making money

Teacher (Former Employee)
South Brunswick Terrace, NJ (US)

I worked at Kindercare full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThey provide good benefits. We had a lot of kids in our center from very good and educated families. The school was pretty good at getting rid of extremely challenging kids because they did not want complaints from all the other parents.

ConsThere was a lot of shuffling of the kids through out the day to keep the classroom in ratio. Most of the parents were ignorant about what was going on. They thought their kids were transitioning to the upper classrooms. Some kids used to get so upset while leaving their classroom but no one cared. Most of the teachers were so unhappy. There was a lot of turn around of the teachers.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy director told me the that the teaching is for the people who love to work with the kids and don't care about what they are paid in a very rude way. I understand to love with the kids part but I don't think the company needs volunteers to make money for it. My director was like a dictator and had very bad people skills. I think the directors should be constantly trained so that they can understand that the teacher are adults and deserve respect. Don't expect a happy environment from a teacher who is constantly bullied by the directors or assistant directors.

Find a better job.

I have been working at Kindercare

ProsWorking with kids, family atmosphere with staff, can be great job if you have a great director, they allow you to be creative with the curriculum.

ConsMany managers do not know how to manage a business, parents can be snotty, kids can be snotty, pay is horrible, not a career, many co-workers are not professional.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire better employees. Have better management training.

I'm still pretty new into my job but I'm pretty satisfied so far!

Assistant Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Kindercare full-time for less than a year

ProsThe management is supportive when you need their help. It is a corporation, so they have locations everywhere so if you need to relocate, you can transfer to s new site easily.

ConsThe schedule can be difficult if you have a family since you switch between opening and closing the center. The pay isn't very high compared to Montessori or other private schools.

Based on my experience

Lead Teacher (Former Employee)
Laurel, MD (US)

I worked at Kindercare full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIf you love working with children, it is an awesome place to work and get the education that you need to pursue your job as an early-childhood educator.

ConsThe company seems all about numbers, how many children that you have in the center. This focus takes away from the children.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think that there should be a better balance of work-life and home life. Having more things that have families and employee families come together for various activities.

Terrible place to work; liars, deceptive, money hungry, and do not care about the children.

Lead Teacher II (III V-4 V Years Old) (Former Employee)
Columbus, OH (US)

I worked at Kindercare full-time for less than a year

ProsIf you love children, and can look past all the crap, go for it. Cons far outweigh the pros.

ConsManagement shut their door and turned off their monitor when we needed bathroom breaks or had emergencies. We (Teacher II) were given more work weekly and never appreciated for what we did, even though we worked our butts off. Management was unreal. A manager who had her daughter in the program would favor her and give her more food over the other children/denied children of food. When I finally quit, I had ordered shirts a few weeks before. When my shirts came in, they were delivered at my old center. One of the managers had the nerve to give my shirts away even though I got charged $30 for them. They don't care about you there. All they care about is sitting in the office, getting more money, and working you to death. DO NOT TRUST THEM. It is a completely unprofessional environment. Also, everything about the "discipline system" is a joke. They do not know what they're doing. Terrible first job out of college experience!

Advice to Senior ManagementPLEASE be professional. PLEASE do not be unethical to someone else as you have been to me. PLEASE do your job. Thank you!

Worked for Kindercare? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Kindercare reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Kindercare CEO Elanna S. Yalow. All 136 reviews are posted anonymously by Kindercare employees.