Kimley-Horn and Associates

Updated 8 February, 2015
4.7

Kimley-Horn and Associates President John C. Atz
John C. Atz

Pros
  • They have a great profit sharing and benefits program that rewards employees for their contributions (in 21 reviews)

• You are surrounded by motivated and talented people, and the one-profit center culture really minimizes internal competitive inclination (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • There was no work/life balance and it was not uncommon to work 60-80 hours some weeks (in 24 reviews)

• The engineering field in general is a stressful profession and expectations are high (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Civil Analyst

Current Employee - Civil Analyst in Reston, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Civil Analyst in Reston, VA (US)

I have been working at Kimley-Horn and Associates full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you read any of the other reviews it's probably clear what you're getting into by working here - Kimley-Horn is one of the top civil engineering design firms and you will have just about every opportunity to succeed if you come here. Other than the obvious perks like benefits and good people, there are a few other things that I particularly like:
    -Outside of promotions into elite positions, you are promoted almost completely independently of your peers. There are no interviews and no competition, which helps promote comradery within teams.
    -I feel confident that all of the people with more senior positions than me are better at what they do than I am at what I do. I'm sure everyone has worked a job before where they have been bossed around by incompetent managers. It's very frustrating. This is not an issue at Kimley-Horn.

Cons

So I want to address the issue of extra effort because a lot of the poor reviews on here have focused on that. First off, your UT goal is not an easy thing to hit. If you are not a hard working person you will probably not last long here. With that said, though, trying to meet that goal is not something that is going to ruin your life. I am 25 (no kids, no SO) and have plenty of time to work out, hang out with friends, and do everything I need to do to feel happy. Quite frankly, I have just as much fun now as I did in college. I'm always puzzled when people mention work-life balance because if you just work hard Monday-Thursday, you can still have plenty of time to enjoy yourself on the weekend, which is when most people make plans anyways. Obviously if you're working more than 50 hours, you are probably putting in weekend shifts, but that is a reflection more of having abusive project mangers than it is a requisite to hit your goals.

Amazing Opportunities, Amazing Benefits, Amazing People

Current Employee - Project Manager/Associate
    Current Employee - Project Manager/Associate

I have been working at Kimley-Horn and Associates full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The sky is the limit at Kimley-Horn for growing your own practice and essentially running your own little company but with all of the backing and support of a national firm. The benefits are outstanding, better than any other in the industry. The best part by far is the people. There is very much a feeling of family and all working towards a common goal. There is this awesome feeling of knowing that you are surrounded by the best people in the industry and that whatever obstacle you face, others will help you deal with it.

Cons

It can be challenging, especially for new people, to figure out how to balance the work with the rest of their lives. It is definitely possible and encouraged but it takes some time and many young employees aren't patient enough to stick it out. Because so much of what we do is employee driven, you really need to figure out the best balance for you and then figure out a way to achieve it. No one else can tell you how to get there.

You're doing great. New employees need to be told more clearly that they are in charge of their own destiny and that if they need more flexibility, more training, or whatever else, they just need to seek that out and make it happen. They need to know we've got their backs.

Most entrepreneurial course a civil engineer can take

I have been working at Kimley-Horn and Associates

Pros

Kimley-Horn will provide you the most opportunities and resources to ensure you gain the most experiences and abilities to become a project manager and develop your practice. Year-end profit sharing and up to 20% 401k benefits are second to none.

Cons

Younger staff members are often worked down to the bone and do not receive appropriate compensation for their extra effort or efficiency.

Good for entry level and singles

Current Employee - Civil Analyst
    Current Employee - Civil Analyst

I have been working at Kimley-Horn and Associates

Pros

Bonuses!!! Salary is pretty fair. Depending on the office, the coworkers are great.

Cons

UT... The constant working to meet the efficiency goal.

Great people, sweatshop environment...

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at Kimley-Horn and Associates full-time (less than a year)

Pros

You get to work with some very talented people and have many excellent resources at your fingertips. There are opportunities for advancement if you are willing to put in the time. Training brownbag lunches almost every week with lunch provided most of the time.

Cons

Depending on your ranking, you must remain over 40-44 hours billable each week in order to take time off (including holidays) and still meet your quota at the end of the year - essentially you don't have paid time off because you work for every hour you take. Office activities or "fun" events, training events, and a good amount of meetings are obviously non billable so plan on putting in at least 50 hours a week to meet your quota and upwards of 60 if your busy (you most likely will be very busy). Salary is based on an internal ranking system and not on the value you bring to the organization...

It's time, cost and quality - you get to pick two and demanding for all three is just being greedy... share the wealth or give real paid time off...

Kimley-Horn and Associates Response

Feb 09, 2015Team Member

Kimley-Horn prides itself on providing exceptional client service. At times, the demands of providing this service are high. It takes a special type of person make that commitment, but our firm is ... More

Professional Engineer

Current Employee - Project Manager/Engineer
    Current Employee - Project Manager/Engineer

I have been working at Kimley-Horn and Associates full-time

Pros

Great firm. Excellent/Unmatched benefits in the Civil Engineering consulting industry. Highly ethical firm, great people and highly collaborative.

Cons

Career growth decided by hit/miss of which team you join. If you have the backing and strong support of a Principal, you can rise very fast.

They will keep you working with promises of grandeur.

Current Employee - EIT in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - EIT in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Kimley-Horn and Associates full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The experience, 401k, and occasional free lunch.

Cons

The company is not up front with the pay scale. New hires are brought in at a P-0, which is hourly. After your 3 month interview, you get a $500 yearly raise and are moved to a salary system. Negotiate your py up front. They won't change it later. Also plan on rediculous "UT" goals. (Hours billed to a project vs admin hours). They say 96% or less depending on your p scale. They expect +120% . Also plan on way over 50 hours a week (no overtime). The last few months have been over 60. You NEVER know when you get to go home. This makes having a personal life very difficult. The employee turnaround is also very high.

Enforceme your company working hours. Extra effort is good, but you are killing g your reputation.

Great company with opppourtunity for advancement

I worked at Kimley-Horn and Associates

Pros

strong oppourtunity for personal growth

Cons

some project managers dont have strong managerial skills

assign specific managers on ability to lead rather than win work

Awesome

Former Employee - Administration in Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Administration in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at Kimley-Horn and Associates full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

pay, benefits awesome love this company!

Cons

there are no cons...awesome group of people

Kimley-Horn and Associates Photos