Kimley-Horn and Associates
www.kimley-horn.com Cary, NC 1000 to 5000 Employees

Kimley-Horn and Associates Reviews

Updated Apr 01, 2014
Kimley-Horn and Associates – US – “John Atz - The President of KHA”

Kimley-Horn and Associates President John C. Atz

John C. Atz

Pros:
  • "Potential for great pay in the form of bonuses and profit sharing (when business is good)"
    in 13 reviews
  • "During KHA's hay-day they had great benefits and the bonuses were very good---even for secretarial staff"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "Extra effort expectations can be too high some times that make work/life balance a challenge"
    in 12 reviews
  • "UT: The utilization goals are very challenging and require extra effort"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Wonderful Company with an Amazing Culture.

I worked at Kimley-Horn and Associates as an intern for less than a year

ProsEveryone is very dedicated to putting out the best type of product. Single Profit Center means you can help out not only in your office, but in other office if needed. Open career path, rewarded for working hard. Continuous reviews with your managers. Very close knit culture, if you buy in, you will love working for and representing the company.

ConsIf you don't buy into the culture, you aren't going to enjoy this company. Saw some around me that didn't buy in, and they just didn't seem to be happy. I bought in and loved every day.

Emphasis on Output is Good, But Not for Me

ProsEveryone is friendly
Good place for new hires to start
Teach you as you go, and slowly increase responsibility

Cons45-55 hr workweeks
It's all about serving the client as fast as possible
I think they spend too much money on extra events

Great company and culture - but not for everyone

I worked at Kimley-Horn and Associates as an intern for less than a year

ProsOpportunity to work with a lot of smart people, plenty of chances for professional development, casual office environment, outstanding benefits

ConsAbsolutely must be proactive and self-motivated to succeed here, UT standards can lead to long hours spent in the office, lots of work expected for one individual

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the time to gain feedback from younger employees

Great focus on work life balance. Wonderful atmosphere. Nicest people.

Graphic Designer (Current Employee)
Reston, VA (US)

I have been working at Kimley-Horn and Associates full-time

ProsGreat management & benefits! A committee of fun plans monthly outings! Pretty young office. Wins proposals often.

ConsProposals can be stressful so have a good attitude and be prepared to do everything it takes to get one out the door on time.

I wish I joined Kimley-Horn sooner!

I have been working at Kimley-Horn and Associates full-time

ProsThe people at Kimley-Horn are wonderful. Senior management is receptive and transparent; I've always felt like part of the big picture. It also has a rich and motivating culture.

ConsIt will take some time to "move up" here as it aims to be a flat organization. However, you are recognized and rewarded in other ways.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to listen to employees across the company and be open to new ideas and business practices. Please continue to focus on the great culture!

Not productive

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Kimley-Horn and Associates full-time for less than a year

ProsGood money co-workers are very friendly.

ConsLess than satisfying with little appreciation for doing your personal best on each job. Management not available.

Great company to work for, very knowledgeable engineers and many growth opportunities

I worked at Kimley-Horn and Associates as an intern for less than a year

ProsThe types of projects one is able to be a part of truly helps you become a better engineer

ConsThe management is a little arrogant, as well as the senior engineers

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to new recruits a little more, they may be new but they also have great ideas

Work Work Work and More Work

I have been working at Kimley-Horn and Associates full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThere is some great people

ConsZero work life balance- and dont expect to get paid for all the work expected of you they say you will make up for it in end of year bonus but you dont.

work work work

I worked at Kimley-Horn and Associates full-time

ProsGreat experience as far as intensive design work, team collaboration, networking, and practice building. There was a great environment in the office and I got along well, for the most part, with my fellow employees, who were friendly and always willing to help each other out.

ConsWork work work and work some more; the office has a standard 50 hour work week, with many employees putting in 70+ hours weekly (salaried) with weekends spent in the office. There is an aggressive practice builder policy that, in my experience, resulted in a lack of redundant knowledge between project managers. For instance, if a project manager is out of town, no other project managers will know about his/her project, often leaving the junior engineers helpless should unexpected problems arise.

Potential for great pay and benefits...at a steep price

Civil Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Kimley-Horn and Associates full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWork with smart, innovative, hard-working people with plenty of technical expertise. Potential for great pay in the form of bonuses and profit sharing (when business is good). In some regions, the company wins many high-profile transit projects which is great for resume-building and experience for younger staff. Great if you are young, single, or have a spouse and kids you don't mind not seeing very often.

ConsYou are required to work 115-120% effort (46-48 hours per week) on average, so basically an extra day of work each week. This is doable when you are young in your career, energetic and excited about a project, but can be frustrating, exhausting and lead to major burnout after a while, especially if you don't feel you're being recognized for your contributions. They don't give young engineers any field experience (they have construction inspectors to do this) and if they have you doing CAD (when it's not being done by trained technicians) they give you no or inadequate training (that would be too expensive and they're reluctant to really invest in their young staff). Without an upper-level manager who is a great mentor, it's nearly impossible to rise through the ranks. If you are a young woman who wants children, there are very few roles that will accomodate that well. Unless you have a spouse or partner with a very flexible work schedule, child care pick-up and drop-off could be darn near impossible since typical hours are 7:30 am - 5:30 pm M-Th with half days on Fridays (but really you need to work into the afternoon to get your 46-48 hours...). The company has strong southeastern roots and very conservative values - most of the upper management are white males with spouses who are able to stay home, raise children and take care of everything outside of work. Only the very best of the best (read: always willing to work long hours and put work above everything else at all times) can really make a lifetime career here.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlthough it will affect the bottom line, ease up on the "extra effort" mentality and hire some extra staff so your current staff doesn't need to work as many hours. Take care of your employees by fostering mentoring and training - make it clear that you really want to make an investment in people. They will be happier and more likely to want to stick with the company long term, throughout all of the changes in their personal lives (marriage, kids, etc.). There is a lot of talk about work-life balance, but upper management doesn't demonstrate this so it makes it hard for people, especially young parents, to imaging juggling both.

Worked for Kimley-Horn and Associates? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Kimley-Horn and Associates reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Kimley-Horn and Associates CEO John C. Atz. All 64 reviews are posted anonymously by Kimley-Horn and Associates employees.