Kimberly-Clark

Updated 16 December, 2014
3.6

Kimberly-Clark Chairman, President, and CEO Tom Falk
Tom Falk

Pros
  • KC allows for ample growth opportunities and encourages a healthy work-life balance (in 62 reviews)

• Great people - good culture - people treat each other respectfully (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • The Field Sales offices do not have as much work-life balance flexibility (in 15 reviews)

• Too slow, awful performance management system, far too much bureaucracy (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

A company for the people...

Current Employee - Sales & Marketing in Mississauga, ON
    Current Employee - Sales & Marketing in Mississauga, ON

I have been working at Kimberly-Clark full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

KC was the first company i worked for out of University. My original plan was to work there for 5 years and then diversify. When I got to five years, i couldn't think of a single reason to leave. It hires and retains great people. People who care about one another and the the brands we represent. There are plenty of opportunities to learn & grow, it values work-life balance, flexible work arrangements and most of all, it's people.

Cons

let's be honest, Mississauga isn't the most desirable location in Canada.

major koodos for creating and embodying such a wonderful culture.

Great cross function opportunities for fast CPG career development.

Current Employee - Category Development Manager in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Category Development Manager in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Kimberly-Clark full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Tools, professional development, great colleague, great brands.

Cons

Sometimes slow, conservative decision making.

Good company

Former Employee - Quality Assurance Lab Associate in San Antonio, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance Lab Associate in San Antonio, TX (US)

I worked at Kimberly-Clark as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Plenty of free lunches, always felt safe, good pay

Cons

Repetitive, hard to move up because you usually start out as a contract worker

Open up company to more full-time workers.

Assistant brand Manager

I worked at Kimberly-Clark full-time

Pros

grow within - deep knowledge - best training in marketing and managing business

Cons

grow within - not a clear career path

open on different career paths to grow wihtin

Reputable company in the challenging consumer products business

I worked at Kimberly-Clark

Pros

Stable company with a long history of success. Seeks to be among the best companies.

Cons

Challenging work environment where it is difficult to maintain a reasonable work life balance. Company has lowered compensation targets; and benefits as well.

Large company that is slow to change or make decisions

Current Employee - R&D Scientist in Roswell, GA (US)
    Current Employee - R&D Scientist in Roswell, GA (US)

I have been working at Kimberly-Clark full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Stability (until recently, with layoffs announced), good product lines, good people by and large. Good benefits, although they continue to be whittled downward.

Cons

Calcified management, slow to recognize new product opportunities when they are brought forward, too many systems,risk-averse, too much focus on cost-savings for existing brands/products and not enough on growing in adjacent or new categories.

Be open to new opportunities, take some calculated risks the way the company did in the past. Allow product development to flourish and be supported. Streamline systems and make things easier to bring new products or processes forward rather than always more difficult.

Layoffs Again?

Current Employee - Marketing in Neenah, WI (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing in Neenah, WI (US)

I have been working at Kimberly-Clark full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great products and some of the people I have worked with are terrific.
    Can be very challenging at times, but work/life balance does take a beating.

Cons

Company continues to downsize every 3 to 5 years making advancement impossible.
    Compensation continues to be below going rates and annual raises even for top performers can be at or below 2%.
    Keeps increasing employee health care costs every year which wipes out any merit raise.

Too many changes...

I have been working at Kimberly-Clark full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

the people are great for the most part, and the best part of working at K-C. Benefits are slightly above average.

Cons

The EU organisation has now merged with MEA into EMEA, and the workforce is being pushed to their limits. The great culture that had been part of K-C is being eroded as the business is under enormous pressure. This will start to effect the work-life balance that the company has been able to trade for mid-market salaries. Spend too much time fighting fires instead of pausing to fix a problem with something other than a short-term solution. the whole business seems to be making it up as they go along now.

Stop restructuring, or next time handle it in much better fashion. 3 restructures in as many years have left the workforce overworked and unmotivated. Put a plan in place before jumping into something huge like a restructure or integration.

I WORKED at Kimberly-Clark for about three years at Conway, AR Mill as KnB Op. (Not Irving, TX)

Former Employee - Technician in Conway, AR (US)
    Former Employee - Technician in Conway, AR (US)

I worked at Kimberly-Clark full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay for mostly easy labor. Off every other Fri/Sat/Sun and they pay double time on Sundays. Most people pretty laid back and respect other's space. I was proud to be a K-C'er. Felt like I had it made. K-C's safety standards and product quality thresholds are no doubt industry leading.

Cons

Training only covers basics like loading materials and fixing simple problems. I didn't actually learn how to REALLY run a line for at least another year b/c every line I worked runs different. The machines are out dated. Nepautism runs rampit; my boss was 21 when he got promoted over applicants who over qualified. To me, it seemed like ops who showed up to do his/her job right were treated with less respect than those who goofed off all night. The "Good-ole boy" system is definetly in affect here. I I felt relieved when I had the oppurtunity to get out of that place!

Communication between different shift teams was a problem my entire time at KC. Teamwork is NOT a common occurance even between ops on the same line. Asset leaders should encourage ops to discuss any problem directly to the asset leader.

Overall Good Company to Work For

I have been working at Kimberly-Clark full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Great company culture with genuine people
    -Flexible work arrangements/work-life balance is good - 9x9 Schedule (every other Friday off), opportunity to buy a week of extra vacation (for one week's pay...)
    -Career Development - lot of opportunity for continued education and cross-functional career opportunities

Cons

-All roads lead to Neenah, WI - lots of turnover with younger employees
    -Annual merit raises are somewhat of a joke. Don't expect much unless you are senior leadership
    -Promotions are based on popularity rather than performance
    -Pay is average - market based compensation meaning positions are grouped into grade levels and each grade level has a minimum and maximum salary range