Kiewit Corporation

Updated 20 November, 2014
3.3

Kiewit Corporation President, CEO, and Director Bruce E. Grewcock
Bruce E. Grewcock

Pros
  • Lots of opportunity to move around and learn different areas of construction/contracting (in 17 reviews)

• Smart and talented people are rewarded with responsibility and good pay (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance sucks, I was working 70hrs a week with every other weekend off (in 58 reviews)

• Long hours, 2) Can lack tasks to do- often just sitting waiting for delivery's or work to finish (in 51 reviews)

More Highlights

Equipment Engineer

Current Employee - Equipment Engineer in Edmonton, AB
    Current Employee - Equipment Engineer in Edmonton, AB

I have been working at Kiewit Corporation (more than an year)

Pros

Good mix of office and field work

Cons

Low Pay, relative to the people i manage. Poor Raises. Long hours.

Quit trying to find ways to bribe us with little things, just pay us for the time we work.

Slavery Gets Things Done

Former Employee - Utilities Engineer in Vancouver, BC
    Former Employee - Utilities Engineer in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Kiewit Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Kiewit is a great company for anyone who is looking to marry their job. There is a lot of room to grow and advance. I have seen/heard of workers starting at the bottom, putting in their time, and eventually they ended up as high as middle management. It is a company that attracts workers with lower levels of education, because all workers are eligible to move up within the company.

It is a fast-paced company that allows a workers to take on a lot of responsibility relatively early on in their career. The experience one gains working for Kiewit is first class and can be very valuable.

The projects that they take on are at the forefront of the sector. They offer challenging and intriguing work and are located all over the world. The prospect of travel is often one of the key selling points as to why workers choose to work for Kiewit.

Cons

Engineers on salary do not get compensated adequately for the amount of overtime they put in. There is no overtime pay for engineers. You make your salary and you put in however many hours necessary to get the job done. One's salary can look appealing at first glance, but upon breaking it down to an hourly wage (given the high amount of hours a typical engineer puts in) isn't very much at all.

Sometimes the "boys club" mentality is a little too overwhelming. It can feel as though that personal growth and progression within the company all depends on who you are close with, not on your quality of work or how hard you're working.

Early on in your career you will not have the luxury of choosing or getting a say as to which projects you end up working on. At the beginning of your career with Kiewit, you will end up working wherever they see fit.

Take better care of your engineers. Yes, you offer starting EITs competitive salaries, but employee turnaround for the company is terrible. Those same engineers that started their careers working for Kiewit, more often than not, eventually grow bitter towards the company because of the treatment they receive. I worked on a project that lost more than 5 engineers within a span of 2 months because they were fed up with the company and how they managed their people. It may not seem like a big deal, but happy workers - who hold with them the knowledge and skills learned while working on your projects - will be more productive and be less likely to make mistakes that could end up costing the company more money in rework than just paying them overtime or allowing them time off in the first place.

The company really needs to work on work-life balance. Measures were being taken on the project I was working for due to the fact that so many engineers were quitting within such a short period of time, however, there were still lots of complaints. It is understandable that the company requires so much from their workers since they are a project-based company, but improvements can still be made.

In short, treat your engineers better. It is a disconcerting fact that the craft workers make exponentially more money than the engineers (due to the fact that they receive overtime pay). Both parties work hard and are very skilled at what they do. I have heard engineers say things along the lines of, "why did I study so hard for 4 years at university to get my engineering degree, only to end up making less than a tradesman who went to school for maybe 2-3 years."

A abusive relationship, that uses and abuses their employees, but they always say their sorry.

Former Employee - Human Resource in Edmonton, AB
    Former Employee - Human Resource in Edmonton, AB

I worked at Kiewit Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Get to work with extremely passionate people, who will become your close friends because you spend so much time with them. Safety culture. Constant change.

Cons

Poor pay, excessive overtime, no work/life balance. Poor communication. Micromanaged. No training for non-engineers. POOR PLANNING!

Don't talk to your employees like they are completely incompetent. Hire the right person for the job the first time, not just anyone who can fog a mirror. Showing appreciation needs to come from the top down. You will stop having 40% turn over if you remove the prince of darkness from running the spirits of the project into hell.

Good company if family comes second

Former Employee - Field Engineer in Fort McMurray, AB
    Former Employee - Field Engineer in Fort McMurray, AB

I worked at Kiewit Corporation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Exciting work
    Well structured organization
    Very young group of people with a lot of opportunity to be placed where you want.

Cons

Have to move where the project is
    Very large company, small piece of big puzzle
    Its all been done before. Go by the book or go home

Great Experience for a young engineer

Current Employee - Field Engineer in Calgary, AB
    Current Employee - Field Engineer in Calgary, AB

I have been working at Kiewit Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great Experience, if you show ambition and are smart you will do well

Cons

Poor management in some area, although they have some great leaders,

Cull some of the plugs

Great starter company

I have been working at Kiewit Corporation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

gain experience,student,fast growth,great people,good safety

Cons

no security since its a contruction company

they treat you like a real person. Safety first always

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kapuskasing, ON
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kapuskasing, ON

I have been working at Kiewit Corporation as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

great salary and a wide variety of jobs. I like to work for this company because they take the time to listen to your suggestions whatever they are

Cons

for my line of work the jobs aren't long term. I don't know how long the job will last that I am currently working on, but it pays well and is enjoyable.

great run company. Nice to be a part of a well run company. A team from their head office in Omaha Nebraska had a meeting with us on site and asked what were some need improvements for the site I am on. I thought that was a smart decision

Lots of work and a good attitude towards safety. Fast-paced work environment and good support

Current Employee - Quality Inspector in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Quality Inspector in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Kiewit Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- lots of people with a good amount of experience in the construction industry
    - lots of young engineers, quality inspectors who are new to the job yet willing to learn
    - focus on safety is a bit odd at first, but the industry is known to be dangerous and they want to protect their employees health and well-being (and to keep them healthy is better than hiring someone new)
    - good work culture as in the majority of the people who work there are helpful if you ask and have lives outside of work
    - good benefits
    - they listen to your suggestions and implement them especially if it is directed towards safety/productivity

Cons

- unless you ask you'll get stuck in one area for a while
    - long hours for both salary and hourly employees, minimum 10 hour days

Very good company to work for! Many career opportunities available. Good learning experience.

Current Employee - Field Engineer in Fort McMurray, AB
    Current Employee - Field Engineer in Fort McMurray, AB

I have been working at Kiewit Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you show to be a good and trusted employee with hard workng skills and good ethics, they'll try to be there for you in terms of project relocation to meet your lifestyle needs and new experience for your future career development.
    Very involved in social activities for you and your family outside of workplace. They spend a lot of money on different parties and meetings.

Cons

Expected long hours from you on a daily basis. 11-12hrs/day sometimes longer depending on the stage of the project. Probably standard hours for construction industry.
    A bit better dental/medical plan could be an option, but ok so far.

Not much.
    Just try to stay consistent with meeting lifestyle needs of individual employees as well try to stay above average for "BASE" salary than other construction companies.

Engineer (Mildred Lake Mine Replacement)

Current Employee - Civil Engineer in Mildred Lake, AB
    Current Employee - Civil Engineer in Mildred Lake, AB

I have been working at Kiewit Corporation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They care about their employees. Just a great company to work for.

Cons

Work hours are long, but that is a construction job.

Kiewit Corporation Photos