Kiewit Corporation

Kiewit Corporation Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Kiewit Corporation President, CEO, and Director Bruce E. Grewcock

Bruce E. Grewcock

Pros
  • Kiewit has a great employee evaluation program with lots of opportunities for advancement(in 15 reviews)

• Smart and talented people are rewarded with responsibility and good pay(in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance sucks, I was working 70hrs a week with every other weekend off(in 55 reviews)

• Long hours, 2) Can lack tasks to do- often just sitting waiting for delivery's or work to finish(in 47 reviews)

they treat you like a real person. Safety first always

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Kapuskasing, ON

Prosgreat salary and a wide variety of jobs. I like to work for this company because they take the time to listen to your suggestions whatever they are

Consfor my line of work the jobs aren't long term. I don't know how long the job will last that I am currently working on, but it pays well and is enjoyable.

Advice to Senior Managementgreat run company. Nice to be a part of a well run company. A team from their head office in Omaha Nebraska had a meeting with us on site and asked what were some need improvements for the site I am on. I thought that was a smart decision

Lots of work and a good attitude towards safety. Fast-paced work environment and good support

Quality Inspector (Current Employee) Vancouver, BC

Pros- lots of people with a good amount of experience in the construction industry
    - lots of young engineers, quality inspectors who are new to the job yet willing to learn
    - focus on safety is a bit odd at first, but the industry is known to be dangerous and they want to protect their employees health and well-being (and to keep them healthy is better than hiring someone new)
    - good work culture as in the majority of the people who work there are helpful if you ask and have lives outside of work
    - good benefits
    - they listen to your suggestions and implement them especially if it is directed towards safety/productivity

Cons- unless you ask you'll get stuck in one area for a while
    - long hours for both salary and hourly employees, minimum 10 hour days

Very good company to work for! Many career opportunities available. Good learning experience.

Field Engineer (Current Employee) Fort McMurray, AB

ProsIf you show to be a good and trusted employee with hard workng skills and good ethics, they'll try to be there for you in terms of project relocation to meet your lifestyle needs and new experience for your future career development.
    Very involved in social activities for you and your family outside of workplace. They spend a lot of money on different parties and meetings.

ConsExpected long hours from you on a daily basis. 11-12hrs/day sometimes longer depending on the stage of the project. Probably standard hours for construction industry.
    A bit better dental/medical plan could be an option, but ok so far.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot much.
    Just try to stay consistent with meeting lifestyle needs of individual employees as well try to stay above average for "BASE" salary than other construction companies.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Engineer (Mildred Lake Mine Replacement)

Civil Engineer (Current Employee) Mildred Lake, AB

ProsThey care about their employees. Just a great company to work for.

ConsWork hours are long, but that is a construction job.

generally OK

Field Engineer (Former Employee) Edmonton, AB

ProsNice people to work with. Good opportunites. big project to work on where you can gain a lot of experience. good training.

Conspoor life and work balance. stuff don't get enough overtime compensation. short notice of movement. and too many managers on one project.

Advice to Senior Managementneed to be clear on chain of command.

Sink or swim, but just because you can tread water doesn't mean you'll get pulled into the boat.

Field Engineer (Current Employee) Vancouver, BC

ProsMore responsibility than you can handle. Regular Turnaround schedules. See some pretty cool stuff get built. Salary uplift when working in camp.

ConsYou gotta "Kiss ass" to get to the top. There are groups floating around the top and if you don't get taken under someones wing, you'll get passed over. They are very bad at giving thanks for hard work. You could end up working 15 hours a day for weeks straight and not get a $0.50 raise for the year (I would be expecting a "thank you" and a raise). People at Kiewit, the ones that stick around, are the type that live to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow some thanks for the people that put in to make your stock worth it. Give me one thing to brag about to my friends as tp how good Kiewit treats its people.

Good

Field Engineer (Current Employee) Vancouver, BC

ProsWork opportunities
    Exciting projects
    Opportunity to learn the Industry

ConsWork life balance
    Lack of holiday leave

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile things are improving, allow employee's a life outside of work

Could be better

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Calgary, AB

ProsThe people that you get to work with are absolutely amazing. Strong friendships are formed almost instantly. There's always someone to go to lunch with.

ConsThe management just plain fails at everything. They have tried to blame the turnover rates on the employees and HR, but it's upper management's fault

Advice to Senior ManagementBe good to your people. Take better care of them. Listen. Don't be so distant or just that ghost figure that sits in the corner office.

I work and I sleep. Nothing else.

Engineer (Current Employee) Edmonton, AB

Pros- They give you lots of responsibility from the get-go. Up to you to own it.
    - Never a dull moment. Rarely will anyone stay in the same job/position for more than 8 months.
    - Good money and RRSP benefits
    - You will never get laid off, they`ll send you to other Kiewit jobs if your district has nothing on the go.
    - Kiewit University for those who stick with it.
    - You will become extremely competent in very little time.

Cons- Likely you will work between 55 and 65 hours a week.
    - Incredibly poor staff morale.
    - The reasons for easy promotion? Very high turnover.
    - Huge decisions made on a whim at the last second. "You`re moving across the country on Tuesday. Pack your bags"

Advice to Senior ManagementI have no advice. They haven't stopped milking out their staff for all they are worth, so it must be profitable. Bonus: The ones who stay are hardcore company people. Great business model, but not fun to work for.

Need sheep minded people than real brains. ......

Field Engineer (Current Employee) Edmonton, AB

ProsIf you are young and mobile apply .... they will suck the life out of you.

ConsVery Aggressive yelling shouting style of culture. No family value. TYPE A people apply only.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to them then yelling at them

Worked for Kiewit Corporation? Contribute to the Community!