Kaplan University

Updated 18 December, 2014
2.9

Kaplan University CEO Gregory Marino
Gregory Marino

Pros
  • Great training to keep skill set sharp, good benefits and great co-workers (in 13 reviews)

• Pay is good and usually schedules floating holidays around major holidays to allow employees more time off (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Overall atmosphere was high pressure sales to clients and representatives (in 5 reviews)

• For some roles the work/life balance was weighing more on the work and less on the life (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Best Company I have ever worked

Former Employee - Admissions Associate in Plantation, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Admissions Associate in Plantation, FL (US)

I worked at Kaplan University full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Kaplan University is very professional and corporate environment, yet very comfortable to work as an employee and fun. They care about their employees. Although not a lot of incentives, there is enough to make you want to stay. Their health benefits are great as well, good working hours and wonderful staff including management. Best place I have ever worked in the USA.

Cons

Like any other job, the sales aspect of it, if you are not meeting your goals, then you will eventually lose your job.

Salaries

I have been working at Kaplan University full-time

Pros

Having amazing co-workers; a great team!

Cons

Being grossly underpaid and overworked.

Remember what it's like in the trenches. Pay your people market value. Respect and appreciate your tenured employees.

I had great co workers who really wanted to help students. Our benefits package was great and free tuition

I worked at Kaplan University full-time

Pros

The benefits, the locations, and the employees

Cons

None, that I can think of today.

NA

A great place to work

Current Employee - Specialist in Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Specialist in Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)

I have been working at Kaplan University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Competitive pay and they work hard to promote employee engamgement and recognition.

Cons

No different than any other company in the marketplace.

Continue to strive to be better and never get complacent.

Great educational experience.

Former Employee - Student in Framingham, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Student in Framingham, MA (US)

I worked at Kaplan University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Challenging, rewarding, and lots of great instructors.

Cons

The on-line system minimizes interaction.

Education is not always profitable.

extremely disappointed in the school

I have been working at Kaplan University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The classes are productive, manageable, and the library is helpful. Most Professors are very helpful.

Cons

The financial department needs to get organized and stop blaming students for documents they had no idea they needed to turn in. The education adviser department needs to get more organized to and stop losing files that have been turned in.

Get organized so people would stop going to other schools

Enthusiastic People but Discouraging for Teachers

Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I have been working at Kaplan University part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people at the Learning Center level are all enthusiastic, positive, and dedicated to student success.

Cons

Curriculum is designed by corporate and not flexible enough to accommodate all types of students. Admissions procedures do not take into account whether students are actually prepared for college level courses. There's a real disconnect between expectations and reality.

Provide students the tools they need to succeed. Remedial courses are needed to prepare students for college level work; the curriculum provided for Comp I assumes students can compose a simple sentence, and, due to an absence of admissions requirements, this is rarely the case.

Backwards

I worked at Kaplan University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company provides excellent health benefits. They also provide free education to employees. Also, several certification classes are offered for free. The company contributes to 401k and provides free life insurance.

Cons

Management is corrupt,greedy, and self-serving creating an environment that is not conducive helping the students and most certainly not conducive to a healthy work environment. It is quite apparent that this company has a use, abuse, and move on to the next policy which you can see through the treatment of employees as well as students.

Listen to good employees as opposed to those who play the political game.

Another Call Center Masquerading as a University

Former Employee - Admissions Advisor in Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Admissions Advisor in Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)

I worked at Kaplan University full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Training is very top notch and informative I felt very prepared for my role as an Admissions Advisor. The pay is good and you receive benefits and PTO from the first day, which you don't see very often from most companies. Finally, there is a cafeteria on site so you don't need to go out for lunch (1hr)

Cons

Well after training and all the dog and pony shows...you come out into production. During the interview, I was told we are helping students improve their lives, which is true to a point. That changed when the manager informed us that "this is a sales job." They weren't wrong neither when they said that since if you didn't hit your targets it was strike one. If it happens again strike two, and finally strike three...Your'e Out!!! I've done lots of phone work before and to this day, that was one of the most stressful jobs I've ever had. Management has been known to play favorites, so if you're not on The A Team, then its a long ride uphill. Since then they have changed some things, so if you decide to interview ask lots of questions,

Treat your employees like they are more than just a number and listen to their concerns.

Great Company Vision with Misaligned Growth/Salary Opportunities

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)

I worked at Kaplan University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Some really great people to work with. I was able to perfect my craft, but only because I was self-driven to excel. Opportunity to grow, but unfortunately capped.

Cons

1. Company core values changed so frequently that it was hard for them to stick and create a true company culture.
    2. For some roles the work/life balance was weighing more on the work and less on the life
    3. Management was not consistent with managing employees on the same team and on the same role although KPI's were exactly the same, the inconsistency was unprofessional. A lot of favortism

The Pay is not competitve/close to industry standards and not adjusted to rising cost of living. One of the main reasons I left was due to the pay not being adjusted appropriately. The national average salary for the role I performed was 120k and local average salary is 102k, when I left I was making 59k. That is nearly half of the local average salary. After leaving I was offered lateral opportunities at other companies with all offers providing a minimum of a 40% increase. Although money is not the biggest motivator, when you are paid so poorly it can hurt moral. Providing additional PTO is not a sufficient way to make employees happier when there was limited ability to take time off due to poor work/life balance in many operational roles.