Kaplan University

Updated 22 October, 2014
2.9

Kaplan University CEO Gregory Marino
Gregory Marino

Pros
  • Pay is good and usually schedules floating holidays around major holidays to allow employees more time off (in 7 reviews)

• Great training to keep skill set sharp, good benefits and great co-workers (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Overall atmosphere was high pressure sales to clients and representatives (in 5 reviews)

• For some roles the work/life balance was weighing more on the work and less on the life (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company

I have been working at Kaplan University full-time

Pros

Ideas are welcomed and many times implemented. The staff is easy to get along with and we truly keep the students' best interest in mind at all times.

Cons

Growth is expected of staff but that is a positive thing. Not only for ourselves but for those we serve here as well. Their education is vital as is our continuing ed.

My Kaplan Review

Former Employee - Financial Aid Officer in Orlando, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Aid Officer in Orlando, FL (US)

I worked at Kaplan University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Compared to other schools, pay and benefits are good. Professional environment and more structured than other schools.

Cons

This company has too many layoffs

Solid company with improvements needed

I worked at Kaplan University

Pros

Company has great facilities and hires competent professionals. Though the employees have pressure to meet deadlines, job security here is pretty solid considering a poor economy.

Cons

There exists some politics within the office (the usual in any corporation) and there are employees with jobs that are probably not fully deserved. As in the corporate atmosphere, suggestions and changes take time and must go through the political process.

Hire efficiency experts to shake things up and make upper management change for the better.

Needs work

I worked at Kaplan University

Pros

Ok benefits when it comes to healthcare coverage

Cons

Only 6 weeks of paid maternity intense environment. Employees are treated like high class slaves

Why bother they wont listen

Kaplan is Great...It's this particular dept.

Current Employee - Support and Solutions Representative in Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)

I have been working at Kaplan University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You have a job and free education.

Cons

There are no schedules changes. They hired someone off the streets and gave them the schedules we asked for. You will take 70+ calls per day. You cannot take breaks if someone else is on break. You cannot have lunch with a coworker. You will be doing the menial tasks of other departments. You will not be doing anything technical. The job is now customer service. They have implemented to new scale, which means no more raises. You will be taking calls, chats, and emails simultaneously. You will required to complete tasks that take approx. 2 min. in 30 secs time meaning another call will be coming through. They have combined us with Registars which means you are getting yelled at daily for something you have no control over and cannot fix.

Our dept. has become the bottom-feeders of the company. We take on the menial tasks of every dept. because of the head of our department. Please allow Kaplan to be an institution. Technical Support, technical, Registrar, Registrar, Financial Aid, Financial. Student appreciate speaking with and dealing with whom they called for.

AA II

Former Employee - Admissions Advisor in Boca Raton, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Admissions Advisor in Boca Raton, FL (US)

I worked at Kaplan University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pay was enough to keep you there

Cons

Nearly impossible for advancement in the admission advisor role.

Definitely a sales job with a constant pressure to meet expectations.

Current Employee - Admissions Advisor in Plantation, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Admissions Advisor in Plantation, FL (US)

I have been working at Kaplan University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A nice working environment....cool people and overall relaxed setting. Good experience for someone out of college but not a long term career unless you move to a different position.

Cons

A true hustle and bustle environment and job security isn't the best. Everything is great while you're meeting the expectations.

FRESH PERSONALITIES

Former Employee - IT Support in Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)
    Former Employee - IT Support in Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)

I worked at Kaplan University full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone is so diffrent nice, they are real. For an office building with support and help so diffrent.

Cons

Personaly it was a long drive, but the company itself is good.

Keep with the positive atmosphere

Employee Engagement

I have been working at Kaplan University

Pros

There is a true focus in employee engagement and job flexibility.

Cons

Work/life balance can be a challenge.

Arrogance

Former Employee - Adjunct Professor in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Adjunct Professor in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Kaplan University part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Remote work environment... the convenience of working from home can't be beat. Helping students is one of the greatest feelings one can hope to experience, no matter what educational institution you work for.

Cons

"Leadership" is very arrogant and constantly promotes how great they are and how Kaplan is a "GREAT PLACE". Ever hear the saying... "a fish stinks from the head"? This is the case in both academics and curriculum. They can care less about the faculty! The pure arrogance of the Deans and Chairs is like no other educational institution! This is a "For-Profit" organization and office politics rules the day!