Kangaroo Express

Updated 2 March, 2015
Updated 2 March, 2015
2.3

Dennis G. Hatchell

Pros
  • You get to meet a lot of new people as well as get to know you're regulars (in 2 reviews)

• meeting new customers and new people (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • under paid , bad upper management no full time no benfits , (in 5 reviews)

• I work minimum wage, but there is no such thing as a raise after one year (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

I find that Kangaroo is a wonderful place to work and is a very friendly company to work for.

I have been working at Kangaroo Express

Pros

Very good chances to move up in the company

Cons

None that I know of

I love this job but I'm trying to advance my career.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Dawson, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Dawson, GA (US)

I have been working at Kangaroo Express part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I like working with my customers.

Cons

dealing with customers attitude

It's a good company to expand and learn things you never thought you would learn as a sales associate and it helps you learn math skills, communication skills, and attitude skills.

Discriminating

Current Employee - Store Sales Manager in Charlotte, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Store Sales Manager in Charlotte, NC (US)

I have been working at Kangaroo Express full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Some staff friendly, decent pay

Cons

No communication, they like to cut women down

Grow a set and learn to ask people questions before assuming

good company to for, there is plenty of room to move up in the company.

Former Employee - Lead Assistant Manager in Ocala, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Lead Assistant Manager in Ocala, FL (US)

I worked at Kangaroo Express full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

You can make good business and personal contacts.

Cons

Sometimes you don't get the training you need to preform your job correctly.

Remember the people that work for you likes to do similar things as you, so treat them like you would like to be treated.

My experience

I worked at Kangaroo Express

Pros

I loved the fact that we were paid weekly.

Cons

Some of the most rudiest customer's.

A Studdy of Mixology (of sorts)

I have been working at Kangaroo Express full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The important thing to realize, as with the cons, is that your experience working for the company will ultimaely vary based on which location and specific store you work in. Your coworkers will influene your experience considerably, as will the customers that frequent your store. In my personal experience, my managers have generally been very friendly but the assistant manager has an attitude problem that even the manager can't stomach. The manager is flexible with the schedule (a plus side for college students and employees with active lives). I work full-time, and have for the last 5 years or so (and have worked with the company for 8 years all-in-all, going on 9) and have dental, vision, and health benefits. Also, free drinks while on the job (but that's about as far as the perks go).

Cons

Now, the downsides...Unfortunately the people who oversee the company as a whole don't quite seem to understand that every location is different from the next and so they won't always have the same customer base. They waste a lot of money on trying to make most stores carry the same things despite the interests of their customers not being the same, and they specialize in micromanagement of even their store managers and district managers. They expect you to keep the store in top clean condition ("hospital clean" was the last thing I heard it referred to) but they cut back the budget with which the store gets supplies to do so. They'll stuff the term "plus selling" down your throat so often you want to vomit it back up in their faces (particularly because your customers will eventually get angry or annoyed at hearing it repeatedly, but God help you if they catch you not doing it regardless). It's extremely difficult to move from part-time to full-time employee now. They focus more on what the public thinks about how the store looks than on how you make the customers feel, and the head office seems to go to great lengths to undermine your executive decisions ("I'm sorry that our employee caught you stealing and kicked you out of the store. Here, have a gift card and feel free to come back anytime." ...Yeah. That seriously happened, and then they wonder where their money's going?) Part-time employees don't get the option of the benefits full-time employees get, and if you want a raise, you need to almost constantly remind managemen that you're due for one. You'll usually start off at around $8/hour, though. You will sometimes work with coworkers who just can't be bothered to do anything (and get away with it, when you may or may not be able to do the same) and who have the worst attitude imaginable, and others who are bright and sunny and hard working. Management may be devoted and considerate or cold and rude. Don't get sick too often, or you might have to have a talk with the district manager about not missing more work under threat of losing hours in the future and have to bring a doctor's note for missing two consecutive days of work (what a waste of money THAT is.) Also, there are a variety of customers; some are nice and friendly and will joke around with you, others are shy or just not into talking much and just make their purchases and leave, while others are loud and vulgar and the rudest people on the planet (*cough*collegestudentdrunks*cough*). Corporate does not seem to value the rights of their employees in some cases (see Advice to Management.)

Corporate needs to stop micomanaging everything their lower employees do, and place more emphasis on each place as an individual location rather than lumping them all into one pile and then scratching their heads wondering why their business model isn't working. Don't undermine your employees for trying to do what's right for the company by rewarding bad behaviour. Put deep consideration into employee reviews conducted by the corporate big wigs, themselves, rather than blindly taking someone's word for it because you have a lot of dead weight working for you in places and people who work doubly as hard as they should just to make up for it so the stores meet your expectations. Your customers are not always right despite the saying, and not all of them are innocent angels; your employees have rights, too, and you need to consider acknowledging them when we're cussed at instead of giving the customer cussing us FREE MONEY because we asked them to leave. :/

It's a job, I guess. Hours of standing with no real breaks and low pay. The typical gas station job.

Former Employee - Cashier in West Hattiesburg, MS (US)
    Former Employee - Cashier in West Hattiesburg, MS (US)

I worked at Kangaroo Express

Pros

Free drink and coffee all day (which is a con as well).
    Insurance
    Laid back at times
    Weekly pay is convenient

Cons

No discounts
    Incompetent store managers
    High employee turnover
    Old fashioned cash accounting process

Depends on your location

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Kangaroo Express full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Cashiers start above minimum wage, promotions possible, fun atmosphere if you are in one of the newer stores, nice touchscreen registers

Cons

Also depends on location but likely very high customer volumes, store managers low salary, assistants about 10 hourly, swing hours

Corporate needs to address the condition of some stores and focus less on marginal profits

Fun

I worked at Kangaroo Express

Pros

Work with cool friendly people.
    Always something to do.

Cons

A lot of hours not enough pay