Kaiser Permanente

Updated Jul 30, 2014

3.5 1,534 reviews

Kaiser Permanente Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Bernard J. Tyson

Bernard J. Tyson

Pros
  • Some opportunity for work life balance depending on your superior (in 136 reviews)

• Great benefits - while I was there there was a very flexible work schedule (in 175 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no "work life balance" at Kaiser, contrary to the expressed platitude (in 36 reviews)

• Upper management is adept at finding new ways to run their best employees off (in 35 reviews)

More Highlights
1,534 Employee Reviews

Loved My Years There, But The Environment Was Changing

Human Resources (Former Employee)

ProsI worked at KP for many years; well compensated with good benefits, learned a lot, very interesting work, and most people were great and committed to the Company mission and patient care.

ConsThe environment started changing several years ago. In the facility where I worked not all were held to high standards of conduct and collaboration.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaintain a respectful workplace and assure all model high standards of conduct.

Treat front-line employees with respect.

Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsGood compensation, good company values, diverse workforce. Great health care provided to all employees. Good opportunities to work at multiple facilities.

ConsSenior management not in tune with how many of their front-line managers use intimidation, not respect to manage their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide a "safe" environment with front-line employees to express their concerns regarding their work environment and then you will have employees who will commit to the success of your organization.

Wonderful place to work

Legal Assistant (Former Employee) Honolulu, HI (US)

ProsThere is a collaborative environment. Everyone is helpful from the top down, and there is a huge organizational effectiveness team working to make life easier.

ConsHoliday are not paid, they come out of your PTO balance so starting out as a new employee, it's hard to earn time off during the first year.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Enjoyed Working at Kaiser Permanente

Lab Assistant/Phlebotomist (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA (US)

ProsPay. Nice working conditions. Benefits.

ConsNothing out of the norm.

Advice to Senior ManagementYes

well meaning, friendly people.

ProsJob security in the sense that even if you are fired you are hired for another position.

ConsSoftware, restrictions that are inhering to working in the healthcare industry and needing to protected patient identity.

KP is a good employer, but career progress can stagnate.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Pleasanton, CA (US)

ProsStability. Good benefits. Some management is forward thinking. Very diverse workforce.

ConsStingy with training. Slow moving company, somewhat behind the times in technology.

Variable experience, depending on location and department leadership

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits, especially comprehensive health care and retirement, PTO, employee discounts on certain goods and services such as theme parks and 24 Hour Fitness gym memberships. There is also a lot of opportunity for movement and growth because of the sheer size of the company. If you are motivated and ambitious, there is likely a career path for you.

ConsEmployees can have vastly different experiences depending on where and for whom they work. Wide range of management/leadership skill.
    In my experience, when a department needs to downsize, there is no effort by KP leadership to keep good, productive staff in the organization by helping them find new opportunities. They lose very good people that way, by just focusing on their immediate bottom line.
    It is very difficult to get hired on through the regular application process on the KP Careers website; it's much more likely to get hired by going through a contracting agency.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider helping good, productive employees within downsizing departments find new opportunities in KP, instead of just kicking them out of the organization.

if you're looking for just another job .. don't look here! But if you're looking for a CAREER!! the buck stop here!!

Teleservice Representative (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA (US)

ProsBenefits, pay, and management. The epitome of a career with unlimited stability.

ConsIf you don't like to make money , help others in a proficient and professional manner; go above and beyond to provide excellent customer service ... then this entire job may be a con for you ...

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work

Rewarding

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsFantastic healthcare benefits and great work/life incentives. They really do a great job promoting healthy living and encouraging employees to thrive and take part in the healthy living classes that are available.

ConsCan get very stressful. High member volume .

Challenging and enjoyable

Director of Finance (Current Employee)

ProsPoorly warehouses data that makes analysis more challenging

ConsGrowth opportunities are limited in small markets and vacation time accrues slowly in the first years.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to find ways to pay raises

Worked for Kaiser Permanente? Contribute to the Community!