KPMG US

KPMG US Reviews in Chicago, IL US

Updated Jul 29, 2014

KPMG US Chairman & CEO John B. Veihmeyer

John B. Veihmeyer

Pros
  • Good job security, decent work life balance except during Tax Season, good benefits (in 182 reviews)

• Great place to start work if you want to see a lot of different things (in 90 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is only achieved within the course of a year for those in audit (in 418 reviews)

• Work long hours especially during busy season and political work environment (in 470 reviews)

More Highlights
108 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Motivating

Advisory Senior Associate (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsIf you are self-motivated, this is a great company to work for. Like the other Big4 Accounting/Advisory firms, it depends on your office and group. But by and large, at KPMG allows your plenty of opportunity to make a name for yourself.

ConsThe benefits packages compared to the other Big 4 are not that impressive. In particular, our health insurance is subpar.

Advice to Senior ManagementTruthfully, the health insurance is the biggest con.

Standard "big 4" internship

Advisory Associate (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsLearning/training program, young work environment

Conswork-life balance, little face time with people above senior associates, recruiters are slow to respond

great opportunity

Senior Associate (Former Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsAmazing place to start your career and build a base for future success. Benefits and pto are top notch.

Consa lot of people burn out and hurt company culture. They try to manage work life balance, but sometimes the nature of the work makes it difficult

Advice to Senior Managementpay attention to turnover and don't be afraid to cut from the top

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Management Consultant in Financial Services

Advisory Senior Associate (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsDiversity of projects, vast resources, smart people

ConsBonus compensation low, benefits medicore, heavy IT and technology related

Fantastic network of capable professionals

Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsAdvisory practice is filled with talented folks. Reputation allows for trusted advisory relationship with key clients and often on the short list for calls when opportunities present themselves.

ConsThe travel aspect is less than optimal...utilization often trumps efforts to staff locally

Advice to Senior ManagementConsistency in applying criteria for promotion across functions / practices would result in less turnover

Great experience, excellent mentoring by great people!

Consultant (Former Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsKPMG takes good care of it's employees. Pay was great and opportunities for moving up were made available to me.

ConsHuge company...easy to get lost.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to focus on mentoring!

It's public accounting, you know the drill

Audit Senior Associate (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsGood training and learning experience

ConsLong hours, as you would expect

Advice to Senior ManagementNot much to say here. You know what you're getting into as an employee.

It's a good first job

Senior Audit Associate (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsYoung culture, and the opportunities are plentiful

Conswork/life balance, meager pay for the amount of work you do, don't do much to retain top talent, high turnover

Advice to Senior Managementdo a better job at retaining highly rated employees, pay better, and more organized scheduling

Great for accountants and seasoned consultants, not so great for new consultants

Advisory Associate (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsGreat benefits package. The firm will really take care of you. Connections to great experienced professionals, and a worldwide reputation.

ConsIn the advisory practice, things get pretty hit or miss. The risk service line is world-renowned, but the management consulting line is newer, and underdeveloped.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in practice development! There will never be a true culture for advisory unless the knowledge base is developed and more easily accessible. Keep trying to break down barriers between service networks.

Good place to work

Senior Associate (Former Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsGood opportunities to experience different roles

ConsHigh performance culture, gotta love it!

Worked for KPMG US? Contribute to the Community!