KPMG

3.5 2,742 reviews

KPMG Chairman & CEO John B. Veihmeyer

John B. Veihmeyer

2,742 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Inclusive culture that promotes work/life balance while providing a challenging job"
    in 163 reviews
  • "Get resume builder; great place to start your career' exposure to an array of industries;"
    in 82 reviews
Cons:
  • "Rotations can lead to a poor work life balance--I lost touch with many of my friends"
    in 380 reviews
  • "Work long hours especially during busy season and political work environment"
    in 428 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great Launching Pad

Senior Accountant (Current Employee)
Calgary, AB

I have been working at KPMG full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- The experience in public practice is a great well-rounded foundation to build a career.
- Given the large number of younger employees who are articling students, there is a substantial support network for completing your professional qualification requirements.
- There's a significant amount of variety in your work from working on a number of clients.
- Overtime policy in certain offices.

Cons- Work/life balance is only achieved within the course of a year for those in audit. While the summer months allow you to focus more on a life outside of work, the winter months are grueling and there isn't much understanding for having any commitments outside of work.
- There's a large discrepancy in the qualify of management. Some individuals are great (evidenced by strong coaching skills, delivering quick feedback), while others tend to be less attentive or can takea dvantage fo you.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut more emphasis on delivering timely feedback, and not overworking employees to excess, especially during busy times.

Great

I have been working at KPMG

ProsGood culture, provide food, learn a lot

ConsUnrealistic expectations of work and pace. Busy season is killer.

Nice ppl, nice working environment.

I have been working at KPMG as a contractor

ProsA big international organization. a good company to start career. good reputation.

Consworking as a contractor with an recruitment agency in IT. short term contracts only.

Advice to Senior Managementnot a good idea working with recruitment agencies

Some good with room to improve

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at KPMG full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWork culture. Compensation and HR perks, relative to other Big4 firms. Working in large teams, promoting knowledge sharing and collaboration to provide the best advice. Partners opening doors to sharing client base.

ConsPartners can often convey inconsistent messages. CEO speaks a message that is not supported by many partners in daily interactions. Little transparency on individual team strategy and results.

Advice to Senior ManagementMeasure upward feedback of partners and make them accountable to those results.

Awesome experience

Staff Accountant (Current Employee)
Vancouver, BC

I have been working at KPMG full-time for more than a year

ProsTraining, culture, the people are great.

ConsThe nature of accounting can be quite boring.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust improve on your people skills.

Great Company

Manager (Current Employee)
Vancouver, BC

I have been working at KPMG full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat place to work, invest in development, good benefits, fitness allowance. Lots of opportunities to work in areas that interest you.

ConsPressure to bring in business and always be over 100% busy.

Not necessory

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at KPMG full-time

ProsNice and friend working environment. Lots of learning resources.

ConsHigh work load and low paid.

Great place to start your career

I have been working at KPMG full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat place to work and get investment in technical development, a lot of community activities, good for your cv

ConsTerrible labor hours and work-life balance even out of the busy season, opportunity limited. A lot of people left in two years, including excellent ones. Keeping good junior staff is not in their consideration.

Audit - great people, terrible work.

Senior Accountant II (Current Employee)

I have been working at KPMG full-time for more than a year

Pros- great people, chance to make some good friends and build your network
- very social - lots of fun parties and social activities to get involved in
- supportive environment - easy to talk to management, get help
- interesting opportunity to take a look at many different businesses - great place for a "STARTER CAREER" but not a place I would settled down in the long-run
- good perks and benefits, salary allowed me to pay off all my student debt within a year
- huge focus on the community - community leadership, volunteering, connecting with the local community - and it seems very genuine

Cons- everyone is looking to get out - slave labour at time and the work sucks. absolutely no value added
- very unpredictable - you can get lucky and work decent hours or just get staffed on the worst jobs ever and get completely screwed over
- hard to maintain a personal life and make plans, especially during "busy season". unrealistic to expect that employees are just to give up their lives for a period of time every year.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is something inherently wrong with the business model here - good staff are being overworked and leaving, bad staff are fired. The only ones who stay are the mediocre ones and all jobs are understaffed - creating a vicious circle. Either hire more staff or pare back on clients with unrealistic budgets. Can't keep understaffing jobs and overworking all your staff with unrealistic expectation.

Fantastic company!

Marketing Manager (Former Employee)
Toronto, ON

I worked at KPMG as a contractor for more than a year

ProsTerrific pay, benefits, training, atmosphere, structure

ConsNot much room for growth

Worked for KPMG? Contribute to the Community!

KPMG Videos

KPMG – Why Work for Us?

Careers with KPMG From career development to global opportunities, KPMG helps connect you to a variety of ways to build the career you've always wanted. You've worked hard. You've planned well. You've developed your… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at KPMG reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for KPMG CEO John B. Veihmeyer . All 2,742 reviews are posted anonymously by KPMG employees.