Just Energy
www.justenergy.com Mississauga, Canada 500 to 999 Employees

Just Energy Reviews

Updated Apr 22, 2014
Just Energy – Ottawa – “275 slater street”

Just Energy President & CEO Kenneth Hartwick

Kenneth Hartwick

Pros:
  • "Very relaxed, fun work environment if you are in a good team, free to work on a lot of adhoc projects, good bonus structure"
    in 5 reviews
  • "This is definitely an opportunity to grow beyond being a slave to the 9-5 humdrum"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "They don't tell you it a door to door job until you are just about to enter training"
    in 6 reviews
  • "long hours, poor organizational structure"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

FA

I have been working at Just Energy full-time

ProsDiversity of tasks, interesting business challenges

ConsReputational capital for company doesn't exist

OK company, if NG/electricity prices are good

Calgary, AB

I worked at Just Energy full-time for less than a year

Pros- Lots of money to be made
- Good hours

Cons- Might have to sell overpriced contracts
- Bad reception at doors

Positive

Business Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Just Energy full-time for more than a year

ProsFlexible Work Hours, informal environment

ConsLess salary and no overtime.

Advice to Senior ManagementTurnaround plan needed

Incredible opportunities. Not fully integrated. Lots of broken process but becoming focussed to fix it.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Just Energy

ProsGood growth opportunities for people of all levels. You can be well rewarded (most aren't it seems). Constant change, so good to develop skills. People are amazing and some really great teams. Some very good leaders. Passion of people to do great is there and that makes it easier to work hard but many agendas. Grew fast and now adopting to work as a larger company. Lots of fixing opportunities.

ConsYou have to work very long hours due to lack of resources. No defined or aligned strategy apparent which makes resourcing constrained. Business leaders not fully aligned. Constant change and very reactive and near impossible to focus on strategic matters. Lots of fire fighting but good (very slow) change taking place to fix that. Pay is middle of road and lots of turn over of great people makes it tough to stay afloat. Lack of visible or defined career options.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure you reward people well at all levels. You have some really great leaders and managers in many areas but you need to provide resources and support to fix the issues. Have patience to enable people to get where the company needs to get there and be supportive. Align your people with a clear strategy. Stop doing seemingly meaningless work.

High potential for the right kind of people

Montreal, QC

I worked at Just Energy full-time for more than a year

ProsIt's really a skill-based job. If you can sell, you will make a lot of money. My first 3 months were pretty sad in terms of income (but enough to get by and then some), but later on the sales went up and it adds up very quickly. You have to know who to target your sales pitch to and you will need practice. If you are a born salesman, you will excel. I loved this job until I had to move (or else I won't have left it).

Watch Glengarry Glen Ross, the same kind of sales environment and techniques apply.

ConsThe opposite of what I described in PROs section; if you are bad or below average on your speaking abilities and your ability to convince people, you won't get paid much at all.

Commission based sales position is very hit/miss; you either get rich easier or you have to get a new career after 3-4 months.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe provide a decent fixed income to new employees as incentive to stay? I thought about quitting in my first 3 months simply because I needed experience and the commission income was too low for beginners.

Lots of opportunity but questionable integrity.

Manager (Former Employee)
Mississauga, ON

I worked at Just Energy full-time for more than 5 years

ProsLoved the people I worked with

ConsLeadership has no expressed vision, values or goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a compelling future and move to a more respectable marketing model, away from pressure sales.

Customer Service

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Just Energy

ProsIt was a pleasure working with Just Energy. It's a great place to learn about the energy market

ConsYou need to be quick on your feet and know your stuff or else you will get left behind.

Senior Management should get a a complete overhaul or get with the times

Toronto, ON

I worked at Just Energy full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLots of money to be made. Plenty of opportunity for growth and expansion into new markets.

ConsSenior management are full of ass backwards sexist pigs that should look around the planet and see that men need to take a step back and be completely ashamed of what they've accomplished thus far. They need to stop living in the past and stop thinking that the solution is just about getting back to the basics. It's just not enough anymore.

Advice to Senior ManagementShape up or like part of the name of your company says...JUST get out.

Nice working environment.

I have been working at Just Energy

ProsVery nice people and working environment!

ConsSalary specially for bilingual is not adequate

Fun work environment

Mississauga, ON

I have been working at Just Energy full-time for more than 3 years

ProsVery relaxed, fun work environment if you are in a good team, free to work on a lot of adhoc projects, good bonus structure

ConsNo structure, a little sexist

Worked for Just Energy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Just Energy reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Just Energy CEO Kenneth Hartwick. All 60 reviews are posted anonymously by Just Energy employees.