Just Energy

www.justenergy.com

Just Energy Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014

James Lewis and Deborah Merril

Pros
  • Very relaxed, fun work environment if you are in a good team, free to work on a lot of adhoc projects, good bonus structure(in 5 reviews)

• This is definitely an opportunity to grow beyond being a slave to the 9-5 humdrum(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • They never mentioned on their ad that it was a door-to-door sales job, but that is what it is(in 7 reviews)

• long hours, poor organizational structure(in 8 reviews)

Work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat company. You can make alot of money if you are a true innovative sales person

ConsCommissioned based salary only can be difficult. Walking up and down knocking on doors will make you feel worthless

Politics”

ProsGreat discount. Friendly people. Trying to do the right things for customers and staff.

ConsThe store manager (former) based decisions on instinct and emotion only. Made life difficult and ultimately a dissatisfying experience.

Company with weak opportunities

Pros- Easy to get in
    - No real education required

Cons- Weak training
    - No client base, you have to build it on your own while the competition is high and product is not that great
    - Commissions based salary

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Limited Growth

Sales Agent (Former Employee) North York, ON

ProsBonus structure is very good.

ConsLong hours, somewhat dishonest approach to customers from colleagues.

FA

ProsDiversity of tasks, interesting business challenges

ConsReputational capital for company doesn't exist

OK company, if NG/electricity prices are good

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Calgary, AB

Pros- Lots of money to be made
    - Good hours

Cons- Might have to sell overpriced contracts
    - Bad reception at doors

Positive

Business Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsFlexible Work Hours, informal environment

ConsLess salary and no overtime.

Advice to Senior ManagementTurnaround plan needed

Incredible opportunities. Not fully integrated. Lots of broken process but becoming focussed to fix it.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood growth opportunities for people of all levels. You can be well rewarded (most aren't it seems). Constant change, so good to develop skills. People are amazing and some really great teams. Some very good leaders. Passion of people to do great is there and that makes it easier to work hard but many agendas. Grew fast and now adopting to work as a larger company. Lots of fixing opportunities.

ConsYou have to work very long hours due to lack of resources. No defined or aligned strategy apparent which makes resourcing constrained. Business leaders not fully aligned. Constant change and very reactive and near impossible to focus on strategic matters. Lots of fire fighting but good (very slow) change taking place to fix that. Pay is middle of road and lots of turn over of great people makes it tough to stay afloat. Lack of visible or defined career options.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure you reward people well at all levels. You have some really great leaders and managers in many areas but you need to provide resources and support to fix the issues. Have patience to enable people to get where the company needs to get there and be supportive. Align your people with a clear strategy. Stop doing seemingly meaningless work.

High potential for the right kind of people

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Montreal, QC

ProsIt's really a skill-based job. If you can sell, you will make a lot of money. My first 3 months were pretty sad in terms of income (but enough to get by and then some), but later on the sales went up and it adds up very quickly. You have to know who to target your sales pitch to and you will need practice. If you are a born salesman, you will excel. I loved this job until I had to move (or else I won't have left it).

Watch Glengarry Glen Ross, the same kind of sales environment and techniques apply.

ConsThe opposite of what I described in PROs section; if you are bad or below average on your speaking abilities and your ability to convince people, you won't get paid much at all.

Commission based sales position is very hit/miss; you either get rich easier or you have to get a new career after 3-4 months.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe provide a decent fixed income to new employees as incentive to stay? I thought about quitting in my first 3 months simply because I needed experience and the commission income was too low for beginners.

Lots of opportunity but questionable integrity.

Manager (Former Employee) Mississauga, ON

ProsLoved the people I worked with

ConsLeadership has no expressed vision, values or goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a compelling future and move to a more respectable marketing model, away from pressure sales.

Worked for Just Energy? Contribute to the Community!