Johnson & Johnson

3.8
1,585 Reviews

Johnson & Johnson CEO Alex Gorsky
Alex Gorsky

Pros
  • Overall work life balance is key within pretty much everyone I was in contact with (in 140 reviews)

• I was very excited to gain employment with J&J because it is a highly coveted company (in 125 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is not great and we seem chronically understaffed (in 59 reviews)

• J & J has steadily gone down hill in employee satisfaction over the last 10 years (in 88 reviews)

More Highlights

I have really enjoyed this work experience, everyone is welcoming and the work is difficult but interesting.

Current Employee - Assistant Analyst in Guelph, ON
    Current Employee - Assistant Analyst in Guelph, ON

I have been working at Johnson & Johnson

Pros

Flexible hours, massage chairs in which you can do your work, thorough training, and a good culture with sports teams and groups subsidized by the company(ex: hockey team).
    The work itself is challenging and very rarely boring.

Cons

Extremely rigorous sign-off process for literally everything, health Canada audits and usually under-staffed departments.

Invest in more people to reduce stress. Keep up the good lines of communication with the employees, it is appreciated.

A Company to retire from

I worked at Johnson & Johnson full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance, tremendous opportunities, ethical company

Cons

Too many changes in leadership and business structures, bureaucratic sometimes

Need to have a very long term view of Company strategies

Quality Compliance Co-op

Former Employee - Quality Compliance
    Former Employee - Quality Compliance

I worked at Johnson & Johnson

Pros

Excellent training
    Good people to work with
    Management is competent
    Pay is pretty decent
    lots of new experiences

Cons

Work is rather repetitive, hard to feel the overall direction sometime, executive level management blindside people with structural changes

I love my job & people.worked with

Current Employee - Accounts Receivable in Markham, ON
    Current Employee - Accounts Receivable in Markham, ON

I have been working at Johnson & Johnson

Pros

Great brsnds, great employee benefits; company invests in their people through offering continuous training for all and opportunities for those who are willing to work hard and be patient..and be aligned with leadership .

Cons

Credo complaints not taken seriously if it involves rights of employees. Culture not consistent across companies. Janssen can be perceived to be arrogant as pharmaceutical sales are more guaranteed . Consumer & JJMC culture is more humbling as competitive market gives suppliers the upper hand.

Take responsibility...To error is human. Recognize that problems can exist in Management despite best efforts and training. Take the time to be objective.

Great place to work for contract opportunities

I have been working at Johnson & Johnson

Pros

J&J is a very ethical company. They give an individual the freedom to come in and be integrated directly as a valued member of a team. The people involved in this company are the best and will always be there to help you however the company is not shy in giving you responsibility and pushing you to be just as good as their established employees.

Cons

Sometimes you have to deal with the politics of the organization. Some managers haven't yet learned how to manage people effectively.

People don't leave jobs, they leave their managers.

Extremely disappointed in what I thought should have been a great company!

Current Employee - Operator in Guelph, ON
    Current Employee - Operator in Guelph, ON

I have been working at Johnson & Johnson full-time

Pros

Learned that I don't want to work for companies like this.

Cons

Career advancement rarely happens in the manufacturing area yet it happens in other departments like a revolving door of advancement. The CREDO is not applied to this area either. People get bullied, lied to, merit not recognized (not rewarded for hard work, years of service or talent), management is not competent, not open to ideas, suggestions or complaints. Ultimately people in the manufacturing area (especially off-shifters) are treated poorly by day-shifters and the rest of the company...etc. I can go on for a long time but you get the idea.

Utilize your current talent (i.e. hire your university educated manufacturing operators into areas where their degree along with their valuable manufacturing experience would be of use), hire more permanent staff (stop stringing people along for years) and hire people without degrees that want to stay in manufacturing because you are burning out your trainers, demand accountability, stop promoting friends and family beyond their capabilities (peter principle), be more open and honest (and not in a condescending "we think you are children with no intelligence" kinda way - we see through the BS), be friendly with all staff ("green coats" are people too), fire the useless people (don’t understand how people get away with doing nothing in an 8 hr day), reward the hardworking, and PLEASE read the CREDO because it doesn't seem to apply here.

Not for everyone

Former Employee - Assistant Brand Manager in Markham, ON
    Former Employee - Assistant Brand Manager in Markham, ON

I worked at Johnson & Johnson full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Compensation & benefits - with little experience or even fresh out of school, ABMs are compensated very fairly and actually a lot better than other similar companies

Cafeteria - On-site cafe allows for convenient and healthy dining at subsidized costs

Cons

1) Lack of training - ABMs are thrown into work immediately with lack of guidance and relevant training. It truly is a sink or swim environment and this can be discouraging.

2) "Fit" - The fit here is extremely subjective and opinions are formed early on. If your manager deems you as a lack of fit, it doesn't matter how hard you work or the quality of work you put in-- it simply doesn't matter at this point. J&J management is good at finding loop holes and ways of subliminally 'forcing' employees to leave.

3) Culture - A supportive, collaborative, "family" kind of culture is missing from J&J.

Good company - Great culture

Former Employee - Associate Brand Manager in Markham, ON
    Former Employee - Associate Brand Manager in Markham, ON

I worked at Johnson & Johnson full-time (more than a year)

Pros

great culture, competitive salary, other intangible benefits like flexible hours

Cons

too focused on on explaining past results vs looking to the future

focus more on creating value vs counting it

Great company, getting too big.

Former Employee - Sales Director in Markham, ON
    Former Employee - Sales Director in Markham, ON

I worked at Johnson & Johnson full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great heritage brands. People have been fantastic

Cons

Far greater efforts required to push decisions through a large matrix org.

good company

I worked at Johnson & Johnson

Pros

nice team, good boss, ok pay

Cons

hard to work cross function