Johnson Controls

www.johnsoncontrols.com

Johnson Controls Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Alex A. Molinaroli

Pros
  • Great company, good benefits, high level experience with high level management (in 32 reviews)

• Good work-life balance (not true for all projects, depends on position also) (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is good if you are not traveling much (in 22 reviews)

• Numerous levels of upper management with people or structure changing every 1 to 2 years (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company to work for

Major Project Account Executive (Current Employee) Hamilton, ON

ProsTechnology Leader, Great Benefits, Lots of training.

ConsFinding more talent to work for the company

It Was a Mistake to Work There

Production Associate (Current Employee) Whitby, ON

Pros- Good Salary to start with.
    - Good Health & Benefits plans.
    - Good as a start for someone who needs a solid base to move to a better career in the near future.

Cons- There is a "Glass Ceiling" for people from different background.
    - Qualifications do not mean anything, because it is matter of "Who You Know, NOT What You Know"......!, that was the hiring process for the last few years.
    - You should plan a short term working with JCI, otherwise you will stuck at the same level forever.
    - No salary increase for the last three years.
    - Cutting lots of benefits from the lower level, however the upper level still enjoying the same benefits; such shirts and T-Shirts.
    - Cutting all kinds of vacations, sick-leaves, and emergency time off from the lower levels.
    - It is normal to see someone with MBA, Six Sigma, SAP and PMP certificates and working online because of the different culture and does not no someone inside,

Advice to Senior ManagementBe Fair

Great culture, Good work, lack of management

Sales Engineer (Current Employee) Brampton, ON

ProsGreat culture, company is always trying to be innovative and to expand product offerings

Consa lot of paperwork, not enough leadership/direction from management

Advice to Senior Managementjob execution is a problem, not enough expertise on the operations side

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sales

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsFast, dynamic, always-on-the-goi life style. Rewarding if you close sales. Constant training offers employees growth opportunities. Managers push you hard.

ConsSometimes a bit unorganized. dont fall behind, there's lots of work to be done. Work seems to never stop.

Systems Tech 2

Systems Technician II (Current Employee) Vancouver, BC

Pros1) online learning material available
    2) decent benefits: milage, RSP incentives, health plan,
    3) can work from home/office (15% of time)

Cons1) Not in union
    2) traveling required
    3) small wage increases (unless role advancement)
    4) work alone most of time

The worst career move I ever made.

Management (Former Employee) Markham, ON

ProsI had to do alot of reflection inorder to find anyting that I would classify as a pro to working at Johnson controls. The only aspects of the job that wer epositive was a good benefit package and 3 weeks vacation.

ConsI worked for johnson Controls for under two years. I would never recommend this company to anyone seeking employment regardless of how badly they needed a job. In my experience there is absolutely no regard for respectable and fai treatment of employees. The culture is completely preoccupied with assigning blame and accountibility of mistakes with little emphasis on how to move forward towards productive processes and effectiveness. The Canadian division and head office in Milwaukee are world's apart.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe Milwaukee leadership needs to completely overhaul the Canadian leadership team and change the reporting hierarchy. Canadian systems and Service is doing very well. However the solutions division is operating at a 1/10th effectiveness and productivity of where they should be.

good top company, great team works that are knowledgeable. Excellent benefits on 401k matching and salary

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prostraining, great team workers, salary, 401k matching, benefits

Consconducting business, meetings, forecasting, multiple systems, competitive within company reps.

Great Company with good management. Growth oriented and trying to consolidate the various busines

Principal Engineer/Technologist (Current Employee) Milwaukee, WI (US)

ProsTop Management has great vision and clear direction of where they want to take the business to and make money. Very ethical and train employees annualy to remain ethical in their daily practices

ConsMiddle managers need to follw the lead of the top management

Advice to Senior ManagementSupervise middle management more to make sure the following the vision. Top heavy on the director positions. Some very new directors have very little experience and sometimes technical knowledge to effectively lead and are hence a hinderence

Great place to work and progress your career!

Supervisor (Current Employee) Milwaukee, WI (US)

ProsGreat benefits, flexible schedule, and if you work hard you will get rewarded.

ConsOffice environment can change from one department to another. But many are wonderful to work in and some adjustments but doesnt mean the department is not a good one.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to have open communication and interest in your team members.

Great experience for intern student

Industrial Designer (Former Employee) Holland, MI (US)

ProsGreat company and co-workers. They are really supportive and giving. When I had internship in advance design studio, I got involved to their projects. They listen to your project and give great advice. It's good for student first step into the real industry.

ConsI've been in Holland Mi. It's quiet and small town near Lake Michigan. I think it's bad for a designer. As a designer, I would rather stay in a big city, that world trend and info will be easy to reach. I would love to have more trendy things in my daily life.

Worked for Johnson Controls? Contribute to the Community!