Johns Hopkins University Reviews

Updated 26 August, 2014

4.0

Johns Hopkins University President and Trustee Ronald J. Daniels
Ronald J. Daniels

Pros
  • Very friendly environment and excellent work-life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Surrounded by very intelligent individuals, never bored (high work volume), great benefits (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • merit increases frequently capped at 2 % with no additional cost of living (in 6 reviews)

• Bad neighborhood for the medical campus (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work

I worked at Johns Hopkins University part-time

Pros

Staff are very nice and helpful. The faculty are really really professional. The pay is also not bad at the same time.

Cons

it is not always good to be a manager in this place because sometimes the employee may report you when you do something they don't like.

Postdoc at Hopkins

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University

Pros

The professional development office is very helpful. This is a great resource if you have any questions about career counseling for positions in industry, academia, or government.
    There is also free parking for postdocs.

Cons

Not much work/life balance in the culture

Pleasant working environment

I worked at Johns Hopkins University full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great networking and advancement is possible.

Cons

Based on your division compensation might be considered competitive.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent

Current Employee - Research Associate  in  Baltimore, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Baltimore, MD (US)

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good name, great experience, friendly atmosphere.

Cons

Lab existence depends from a grant support!!!

constant learning...loved it

Former Employee - Research Intern  in  Baltimore, MD (US)
    Former Employee - Research Intern in Baltimore, MD (US)

I worked at Johns Hopkins University as an intern for less than a year

Pros

security is very good
    and u get a platform where you have a constant learning

Cons

weather conditions are bit difficult to work in.

Great place for research

Current Employee - PhD Student  in  Baltimore, MD (US)
    Current Employee - PhD Student in Baltimore, MD (US)

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Diversity of labs all with top notch professors. Lots of great seminars

Cons

Lack of focus on basic science. The institution as a whole prides itself on its medical training and hospital, but places little emphasis on research.

Better career services, bring in people with a larger breadth of expertise.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Student Worker  in  Baltimore, MD (US)
    Former Employee - Student Worker in Baltimore, MD (US)

I worked at Johns Hopkins University as an intern for less than a year

Pros

It is the best place to work for student workers and learn about the real world. Fantastic Boss and Mentors available pretty much 24/7. Well structured organization and leaders understand the vision and know how to share with the team. Great place to work and learn about the education business.

Cons

Securities are not part of JHU so they do behave somewhat too authoritative and disrespectful to staffs and students.

more involvement with student workers

Best Job Thus Far

Current Employee - Research Assistant  in  Savannah, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Savannah, GA (US)

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University part-time for more than a year

Pros

I am currently a MPH student and the research team I work with has made this a wonderful experience for me. I started the job with very little applied experience with research, all I had was what I learned in school. The research coordinator took a chance and gave me the position over a PhD applicant. Great work life balance and being that I am still in school that is very important.

Cons

Pay is great for a college student but for a professional with a family and real bills that could be a challenge.

Great job, low pay

I worked at Johns Hopkins University

Pros

JHU is an amazing place to work- brilliant co-workers, cutting edge research, excellent benefits, steady 40 hours a week with no expected over time. I gained a range of qualitative and quantitative research experience that was invaluable, and the research studies that I worked on were literally one of a kind. I was never bored.

Cons

There is little career mentoring, opportunity for advancement, or pay raises. In fact, I worked in two different positions (this being the second one) and in this position I never received a raise or bonus. The pay is already far below market value for the graduate level position, which is the reason that most research assistants and coordinators leave after 1 or 2 years. Co-authorship is out of the question for research staff (even if they do literally all of the work on the project and are capable of contributing to a peer-reviewed journal article).

Interact with your research coordinators more often. Mentor them. Most of us are there because we want to eventually fill your shoes. If you want to keep employees longer, especially the graduate level employees, then pay more. This was a barely livable wage, and actually insulting for the level of education and experience required for the job. Expecting people who want the job because they are passionate about the work to settle for less pay is...sad.

Innovative Place

Current Employee - Preventive Medicine Resident  in  Baltimore, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Preventive Medicine Resident in Baltimore, MD (US)

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University full-time for more than a year

Pros

Johns Hopkins is an innovative place with great resources especially for research

Cons

I am in the Preventive Medicine Department, and there is very poor support for Preventive Medicine unfortunately. Funding was cut to our department. The salary for Preventive Medicine Residency is very low.

Our immediate management is wonderful with Barbara and Dottie helping us become adjusted to working at Hopkins

Worked for Johns Hopkins University? Contribute to the Community!