Johns Hopkins University

Updated 17 October, 2014
4.0

Johns Hopkins University President and Trustee Ronald J. Daniels
Ronald J. Daniels

Pros
  • Great work life balance and being that I am still in school that is very important (in 13 reviews)

• Surrounded by very intelligent individuals, never bored (high work volume), great benefits (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • You may see a maximum 2% increase which doesn't cover cost of living expenses increase (in 7 reviews)

• Medical campus can seem very impersonal (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Steady, stable job, with good benefits and decent work -- personnel a little unfriendly in a big impersonal setting

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Baltimore, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Baltimore, MD (US)

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I like the stability. If the economy implodes, this place will still have jobs and money flowing through it. Lots of opportunity to move around if you don't like the department you are in. Benefits are great, and the people are fine to work with for the most part.

Cons

Politics. You rarely move up unless you know someone. Even when you work hard you get a measly 2% raise and a pat on the head. The people can be very unfriendly -- especially at the upper levels and if you are a minority. Parking costs way too much and is too far (hospital/med campus only -- Homewood is decent).

Promote people of color more often. Especially men of color. Lack of diversity at the upper echelons though many people of color at Hopkins could handle the top jobs.

Research Assistant to Economics

Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Baltimore, MD (US)
    Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Baltimore, MD (US)

I worked at Johns Hopkins University part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great University to get some research experience. Very easy going environment and smart people, yet challenge in some part.

Cons

Not really. The pay could be better. But consider it is an academic institute, pay is average.

More training would be nice.

Outstanding place to work

I worked at Johns Hopkins University full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits, promotional opportunities, work life support, work environment, employer community commitment

Cons

Benefit costs, merit pay, retirement benefits, parking

Comfortable work environment for research

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Baltimore, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Baltimore, MD (US)

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good benefit, no need to worry about equipment and sample resources. Everything for research of disease is available.

Cons

This is a place that having too much pressure for producing staff, you always need produce something.

Great place where you can actually contribute to society

Former Employee - Research Associate in Baltimore, MD (US)
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Baltimore, MD (US)

I worked at Johns Hopkins University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Always surrounded with smart people, experts in their fields, everybody is heard, lots of opportunities to watch great people give talks, very easy access to resources, both faculty and management are always willing to support continuous learning.

Cons

The only and the biggest con would be location, should definitely look up Baltimore before considering a position, especially if you have certain standards when it comes to social city life.

Amazing!

Current Employee - Assistant Research Scientist in Baltimore, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Research Scientist in Baltimore, MD (US)

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Access to cutting edge technology as well as experts in many fields.

Cons

Ammount and pace of work can be overwhelming at first, but rewarding in the end.

A good company to work for

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The environment, benefits and the people

Cons

Everything is a challenge nothing could be that difficult

The management doesnan awesome job at t

Research Technologist Position

Former Employee - Research Technologist in Baltimore, MD (US)
    Former Employee - Research Technologist in Baltimore, MD (US)

I worked at Johns Hopkins University part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You are surrounded by brilliant scientists who are passionate about what they do, and they are the leaders in their field. There are many learning opportunities.

Cons

Expectations are high and stressful even for entry level technicians. Supervisors are not understanding and even less helpful.

I wish management was more understanding and supportive.

Good Resume Line Item - no longer top 100 places to work

Current Employee - IT Manager in Baltimore, MD (US)
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Baltimore, MD (US)

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits and training opportunities. Excellent vacation, holiday benefits; Work life balance easy to obtain, not much pressure on meeting deadlines as requirements creep is tolerated. Good resources, access to some of the latest technologies. Home use licenses for software to stay current.

Cons

1% raises for several years; insurance costs increasing at 2-5% YoY; Cutting back on other compensation (ISP, cell phone). Limited career path options. Few if any promotions. People tend to stay at that level were hired in at. No incentives for exceptional work - find a cure of Ebola, save a $1M a year in costs, or just show up and keep the lights on gets the same (no) reward. Inefficiencies in a lot of areas. Lot of manual processes.

Shift some of the decision making away from HR. Is supposed to be there to serve employees, not the reverse. Fair doesn't mean it has to be the same same for everyone/every group. Need to differentiate positions and skills. Software engineer title applied to most doesn't account for differences in market for embedded software versus business application versus network personnel.

The review

Current Employee - Lead Technician/Classroom Audio Production Coordinator in Baltimore, MD (US)

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I am glad to be working in a job that is simmilar to what I love.

Cons

My task are very elementry and not quite what I really like to do. i would much rather be working as an Audio Engineer at a live event or a studio.

My advice to management is please keep up with the resources and needs of the department so we can serve our clients with excellence.

Johns Hopkins University Photos