JetBlue

JetBlue Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014

JetBlue President & CEO Dave Barger

Dave Barger

Pros
  • The flight benefits are another fantastic perk as well as the flexibility of work arrangements(in 45 reviews)

• Flying benefits are great, and the work is interesting(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management continues to lie and make false promises(in 8 reviews)

• Not very good at trickling down top management new ideas to middle management(in 7 reviews)

Company has changed drastically since founder David Neeleman was forced out

Flight Attendant (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsGreat travel benefits and competitive pay.

ConsThe company is more concerned about making money than anything else. To make money, they want to keep the customers happy, many times at the expense of safety.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring people that are inexperienced, unprofessional and uneducated. JetBlue hires people that other supervisors are dating, sleeping with, or related to. Most the supervisors I knew rarely followed any of the rules they expected those they were supervising to follow. Too much nepotism, cronyism, and favoritism. The company managers and executives date within the company, and blatantly play favorites.

Good company, but not enough opportunities and support from management

Coordinator (Current Employee) Long Island City, NY (US)

ProsGood brand, nice and casual people, flight benefits, good work-life balance, modern office space, exciting projects

ConsNo opportunity for growth, low salaries, too much emphasis solely on communication skills, lots of politics, sometimes uninvolved management

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more in your crewmembers by giving them the chance to grow and rewarding them for their practical skills, not only the ability to sell themselves. Having a strong marketing team is important, but the doers and quiet achievers are as important for the success of the company. Respect diversity and embrace all types of personalities. Promoting only the people with great soft skills and overlooking the humble, quieter achievers is not the best approach and in the long term you will lose valuable talent.

Great company, poor pay.

At Home Representative (Former Employee) Salt Lake City, UT (US)

ProsFree flights. Good benefits. Wonderful co-workers.

ConsGenerally, I had to catch a flight out of Las Vegas.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A good opportunity for my first two years, but disappointing the last two years.

Reservations Agent (Former Employee) Salt Lake City, UT (US)

ProsWorking from home, travel benefits, thorough training and resources, opportunity to advance, friendly atmosphere, flexible schedule and travel opportunities.

ConsPolicies were constantly changing. Job expectations changed more towards sales, it was required we have a certain percentile of upscale on our average calls per review period.

It was a great ride while it lasted....

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFounded on excellent Corporate Culture and Values; Free travel (if you can take the time off), Many Great employees. Fun working in a fast paced environment with many facinating and dedicated people. Everyday is different with new challenges and excitement.

ConsShoddy Benefits, no identifiable "career paths", Values and Culture have declined in response to growth,employee turnover (high), non-competitive Salary structures, etc... Not for a long term career...Not many employees are kept past the 10 year mark and targeted for replacement at those levels no matter how much they have accomplished. Insider run.

Advice to Senior ManagementDespite the rhetoric, return to the basics that got JetBlue through the first 10 years. Take a hard look at Managers, Directors and above who are primarily self-interested in their own career preservation at the expense of their Crewmembers. Stock prices have gone up at the expense of morale and continuing employee "churn" to keep costs down to boost ROIC.

Phone Reservations - frontline customer service for 2 years - Overall boring but enjoyable

Reservations (Phone) (Former Employee) Salt Lake City, UT (US)

ProsStand-by flight benefits (especially Zedfare standby benefits on other airlines after 6 months)
    Flexible schedule - easy to trade shift-bid hours with coworkers
    Fun-ish company culture
    Doesn't come home with you - work stays at work
    Optional health benefits for part-time employees

ConsTerrible pay - barely over minimum wage
    Boring job - same problems solved over and over again
    Takes about 18 months - 2 years to get enough seniority to have "good shifts" (not working on weekends)
    Isolated - work from home
    Tied to the desk - literally with a head set
    Required to live with 45 minutes of call center in Salt Lake City
    Not enough Jetblue flights out of Salt Lake - hard to use standby flight benefits

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate shifts for bid that are 20 hours a week (as opposed to 24)
    Increase the steps in pay for time with the company

Great company that listens to its employees

Analyst (Current Employee) Long Island City, NY (US)

ProsJetBlue is a great company to work for because the culture of the company is to listen to and support its emoloyees and offer the best experience for its customers. The company HQ is top of the line and lots of friendly people.

ConsIt's hard to complain about a company that has "fun" as one of their values but of course no company is without its short comings. Getting your foot in the door of the company might be hard but once you're there it's even harder to move up unless you network and schmooze with the right people. The company does emphasize that it wants employees that fit the culture but too often I have seen the most qualified be passed over for the more extroverted socialite who might not be as sharp but knows how to light up a room.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing but make sure to reward the hardest workers, not just the popular ones.

Ground Operations

Ground Operations (Former Employee) Newark, NJ (US)

ProsFantastic Company, great people to work with, no complaints at all..

ConsVeterans usually like to slack, management needs a little more training in managing and not in the office.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry looking out the window or out the office and see what is going on...

it was a good experience working at jet air blue

Quality Analyst (Former Employee) Houston, TX (US)

Prosemployees at jet blue air are reALLY COOPERATIVE AND GOOD

ConsNOTHING SPECIAL I DIDNT FIND ANY

A fantastic company to work for that makes you feel like family.

Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) Boston, MA (US)

ProsVery friendly and helpful crew members, decent pay, good benefits

ConsMidnight shift, focusing on making sure new hires aren't rushed into the company with paperwork and training.

Worked for JetBlue? Contribute to the Community!