Jack in the Box

Updated 30 October, 2014
Updated 30 October, 2014
2.9

Leonard A. Comma

Pros
  • fast paced theres always something to do (in 12 reviews)

• 80% of the workers are obese because of the free food (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management gives "lip service" they don't practice what they preach (in 13 reviews)

• long hours of standing on feet, rude customers, eager managers, look out for guest shoppers (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

A company in permanent transition

Former Employee - Corporate Manager Level in San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Corporate Manager Level in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Jack in the Box full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good compensation, very skilled team.

Cons

Constant turn over at mid-leadership levels

It is hard work here.

Current Employee - Cashier in Apple Valley, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Cashier in Apple Valley, CA (US)

I have been working at Jack in the Box part-time (more than an year)

Pros

You work as a team

Cons

You sometimes really get mean customers it might make you snap

If you plan to be management here I advice you to work as a team player as well so your team could work harder for you.

No leadership

I have been working at Jack in the Box full-time

Pros

Enjoyed the coworkers, and enjoyed the free coffee, other than that no positives.

Cons

Again, No leadership. The worst problem was having the head managers of every department spend their time together instead of in their own departments.

I don't really recommend this place.

Former Employee - Shift Leader in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Shift Leader in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at Jack in the Box full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Discounted food/free meal after becoming shift leader, I was able to become shift leader after a few months, I didn't really mind the pay in the beginning

Cons

Management did things to intimidate other employees they knew wouldn't speak up for themselves, wanted speed of service yet there wasn't significant amount of workers on the floor, when speed of service is met managers received the bonuses, got paid 8.75 for shift leader but asked for 9--worked various shifts including graveyard that other shiftleaders didn't want. Corporate didn't even listen to an employees complaint

Be considerate to your employees. Pay them more. Add more workers to a shift, don't just go by the charts and sales from previous days to help you determine how many workers you need in a specific shift for a specific day. You can not tell the future of how busy a day will be. The amount of workers on the floor should be exactly like the training video states. Hopefully one day the work environment can be fixed. Just some constructive criticism.

Great Environment to learn and grow

Current Employee - Citrix in San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Citrix in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Jack in the Box as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly and helpful staff to work with

Cons

Building was a little confusing at first

Prepare to be under-equipped and unprepared to serve bad food.

Current Employee - Team Member
    Current Employee - Team Member

I have been working at Jack in the Box part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The work isn't that hard, and you can get a lot of hours if you want them.

Cons

The food is awful. The pay is worse.

Find a better chain, lol.

Working at Jack was, intially, awesome. Not so great after some management changes.

Former Employee - General Manager in Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - General Manager in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at Jack in the Box full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, great salaries, great people.

Cons

Work life balance was difficult.

Shift Manager (Team Leader)

Current Employee - Cashier in Baton Rouge, LA (US)
    Current Employee - Cashier in Baton Rouge, LA (US)

I have been working at Jack in the Box part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Compared to most fast food restaurant, JITB does pay a bit better. In Louisiana, most fast food companies start employees at a hourly wage of $7.25. At JITB, the hourly wage for starting team members is .=$0.20 higher.

Jack In The Box is an okay job for youngsters starting out wit a job. My advice to ANYONE in the fast food industry is to work hard and may your way to become a shift manager. Work as a shift manager for 2 years or so...THEN LEAVE THE FAST FOOD INDUSTRY. DO NOT STAY!!

Cons

Over worked
    Under payed
    Unprofessional co-workers
    Maintenance and restaurant up keep.
    Hierarchy and favoritism was definitely carried out by employers and managers.

Fun Work Meets Bad

Former Employee - Team Member in Parker, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Team Member in Parker, CO (US)

I worked at Jack in the Box part-time (less than an year)

Pros

At Jack in the box I was able to work as much as I wanted, or as much as I didn't want to. They gave me choices for my hours and I could stay later if I wanted. I learned a lot of different things fast!! It was a good experience and they promote you if you work hard!

Cons

The only problem was how many store managers my store went through. I worked there for only 5 months and we went through 6 store managers. The last one was the worst, but everyone before that would understand any problem you had or anything. 1 rotten egg out of 6 is pretty good if you ask me.

I'd defiantly try to watch for young people who work hard and are always on time for raises. I worked for a little and was always on time, did everything I was asked and never complained. I learned every task and would help new people learn them as well. Someone else got promoted who wasn't on time and sometimes didn't even show up for a shift and usually I'd be the one who had to cover it.

Excellent company and culture!

Former Employee - Senior Security Administration Analyst in San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Security Administration Analyst in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Jack in the Box full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company values their employees and offers classes for professional growth. Focused on employee appreciation giving the overall company environment a pleasant place to work.

Excellent bonuses once our department goals were met. The culture is very relaxed and causal but also driven to succeed everyday in innovation.

Involved in the community and is known for the commitment to give back and support others who need help.

Cons

Not willing to let go of the old ways and move forward in developing better and more effective ways to accomplish a stable internal infrastructure.

Doesn't take risks to improved applications or computer equipment in a timely manner. The model is "keep the lights on" if nothing is broken. In my opinion this inhibits growth as a company.

Upper management needs to work with their respective teams in each department and allow other ideas a chance.

Some managers have been at the company for 30+ years and are comfortable with their ways.

Jack in the Box Photos

Entrance to the Jack in the Box headquarter office in San Diego, CA (Photo by Coolcaesar - available under CC-BY-NC-SA 3.0 & GFDL, v1.61)
Corporate headquarters