Jack Henry & Associates

Updated 17 August, 2014

3.6

Jack Henry & Associates CEO and Director Jack Prim
Jack Prim

Pros
  • Benefits are very good and you truly do have amazing work life balance (in 13 reviews)

• Great Benefits/salary/VERY CASUAL WORK ENVIRONMENT (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • In more technical jobs the work/life balance is hard (in 5 reviews)

• Career growth opportunities within management isn't as expansive as I originally thought it'd be (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Systems/Network Administrator
    Current Employee - Systems/Network Administrator

Pros

Plenty of opportunities for training and growth. They live by their motto Do The Right Thing, Do What it Takes and Have Fun. One of the Top 100 Places to Work.

Cons

Always more stuff to do than you have time for. Headcount and load are always in need of balancing. Some people end up working all the time (after hours).

A good company trying to adjust to its ever increasing size

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Monett, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monett, MO (US)

Pros

Laid back atmosphere, nice people to work with, decent technology, in the lucrative banking software market, competition is there but not killer, high cost to switch to other vendors insulates us quite a bit (this is both good and bad)and banks always have money to pay their bills.

Cons

Some parts are quite well run and other parts are stunningly insulated from true accountability. In general new large scale IT system development is done very poorly. Have seen projects go past their intended end dates by years (due to poor management) and no one is held accountable (at all). But, the handwriting is on the wall that this will be changing in the near future. Kudos for that.
    Career advancement ranks with glacial movement as to speed. If you haven't been their five or ten years forget about moving up. Many times retirement and death are your only openings. And I'm not kidding about this.

Be tougher on people who underperform or who have projects that go over by years. Right now you're letting them slide. In most other areas I think you're doing a good job. And on a side note, pay the Exec's a little bit more (no I'm not one of them) and kick in a bonus program for the rest of us. You are a billion dollar company now so start spreading some of the wealth. Your competition does and they keep calling me. One day I may slip and say 'OK' .
    Find someway to allow for more career advancement for your employees - else the best ones will leave. If you won't allow your best people to move up in a timely manner, a lot of other companies will.

Most employees will say satisfied, but more just "ok" on the management side

Pros

Great people, great company values, great benefits, plenty of room to grow/continue as a non-manager

Cons

When getting into management, there is no clear management progression plan so it's hard to see your future growing in management

Put stronger management plans in place.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Probably Average, normal politics, benefits have gone down in past years

Current Employee - Programmer Analyst  in  Springfield, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in Springfield, MO (US)

Pros

Stable company, Good raises early in your career. Offers average benefits. Used to offer better.

Cons

Promoting from outside has become the new trend. Need to promote from within the company. Need better communication. Management has an elite attitude and seems to always pass blame to workers rather then ever take responsibility.

Promote from within. How can you hire someone to manage your dedicated employees who've put several years of their lives into the company. At best, when you hire someone from outside, you know what their resumes contains, and what they tell you in 2 or 3 hours worth of interviews. How can you compare that to someone who knows and understands the company and culture. Not promoting from within can destroy incentive!!!! It seems that a lack of confidence or insecurity are the primary reasons why some management structures do not promote from within!! Stop and think about what you're doing!

I LOVE WORKING HERE!

Pros

Many of the Pros are going to pertain specific to my job. Flexible hours, ability to work from home, extremely competitive salary, great team to work with/on, and excellent leadership in management.

Cons

I have been with JHA for over a year now and loved every minute of it. I know it doesn't sound possible, but there are no drawbacks.

I am well compensated for my position - and get 19 days off a year + all federal holidays. I personally wouldn't mind the responsibility of management or being promoted, but am very happy where I currently am and when my time comes I will be patiently waiting.

Unmatched Corporate Culture and Limitless Opportunity for those willing to Work Hard

Current Employee - Solutions Specialist  in  Denver, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Solutions Specialist in Denver, CO (US)

Pros

I absolutely love the corporate culture and values that JHA represents. I have so much pride in our way of doing business - Do the Right Thing, Do Whatever it Takes, and Have Fun. The benefits are stellar, and the opportunities for advancement are amazing. I could never have imagined the opportunities I've been given during my tenure with JHA many years ago when I joined the team.

Cons

With our phenomenal growth through the years, we have sometimes struggled to speak with one voice, particularly following acquisitions. I believe our executive management still works on unifying our front and communicating and disseminating our corporate culture out to newly acquired employees and newly hired employees. I think our unique culture is our single biggest differentiation, so it is critical that we all share this as a common value and language.

Keep doing what you are doing! Love, love, love JHA.

A great opportunity

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

Pros

The location I'm at is ok. There are a few great people there who work really hard. But there are some who take advantage.

Cons

Not much room for growth unless someone leaves or you move out of state. Some managers really need to be placed somewhere else. They allow employees to take advantage by letting them not come to work for whatever reason with no repercussions.

There are certain people who should not be in a management position because these people do not know how to manage their employees.

Honest Review - The glory days are over for JHA

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Springfield, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Springfield, MO (US)

Pros

There are some intelligent employees (not management). If you are lucky you can work from home some. You get a laptop so you can work 24/7 from anywhere. If you invest, the company continues to break record profits quarter after quarter by keeping costs down.

Cons

Since all of the employees got an email pleading for reviews on glassdoor to boost the company reputation, I guess I should spend my evening doing so. They must realize it is getting harder to find skilled workers to come work here.
    Simply put, this company pays well below market average. If you decide to come work here, negotiate a good salary starting out or you will be stuck with a low salary the rest of your life here. If you ask for a promotion or inquire that you are not being paid for your skill set and performance, management does nothing. All promotions and favoritism are based purely off seniority of JHA years, not overall career experience.
    The annual review process takes 6 months from start to finish, and we still require self-appraisals. Although reminded that annual merit increases is optional for the company to give to employees, it barely covers the cost of living increases for inflation. Management here has no clue what is going on and is just a bunch of "my hands are tied" repeaters. You can never get an innovative idea to go anywhere, as we acquire companies rather that innovate.
    If you ask any tough questions to upper management, they say they will get back to you and you never hear a word.
    I am not sure who does our salary market analysis, but the evidence of high performers leaving and the struggle to hire skilled workers is enough to prove we do not pay well. Our strategy is to hire right out of college so we don't have to pay much. So if you are a college kid reading this you are in luck, apply now.
    Teams across the board are understaffed and management uses this strategy to keep costs low. This is how we can continue to beat profits quarter after quarter. They force employees to work longer hours to make up for hiring additional staff.
    We get reminded that we have the best benefits around, and that was true oh so 5 years ago. Times have changed and we have slipped a bit and other companies have caught up. They continue to use this response anytime they are asked why we pay so little.
    In summary, if you are a college kid or you don't care to get paid well or ever get promoted, JHA is a good place to work. You will learn a lot from the intelligent employees that have stuck around so far, and then you can use those skills in your career.

Clean house in middle management. If you continue to break profits quarter after quarter, give some rewards back to those high performing employees that got you there. Do a better job to distinguish the high performers from the employees who just collect a check. Listen to the ideas of the employees instead of marking it off as a bad idea. Hire a reputable firm to do salary reviews and pay more. Create a better system for promotions and salary adjustments if a high performer is underpaid instead of watching those employees leave.

Life in JHA

Pros

Good company to work for, good people.

Cons

Poor career growth, sometimes feels very bureaucratic, slow moving.

Good pay and benefits, bad management

Current Employee - Marketing  in  Overland Park, KS (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing in Overland Park, KS (US)

Pros

They pay well and have good benefits (though not as good as they were)

Cons

There is a lot of cronyism, and a lot of favoritism for employees in the headquarters. I actually warned someone not to work there, but he took the job anyway. 6 months later he had quit and told me that everything I had warned him about was true. I was actually able to go off of blood pressure medication within weeks of leaving because of the stress the people I had to work with caused.

Worked for Jack Henry & Associates? Contribute to the Community!