JR Simplot

Updated Jul 09, 2014

JR Simplot Chairman Scott Simplot

Scott Simplot

12 years No regrets!!!

Manager Outside US (Current Employee) Boise, ID (US)

ProsGreat team of people to work with...you get diverse cross-functional opportunities to grow keeping in mind your interests and aptitude. I have seen HR person can jump into Plant Mgmt and vice versa plus much more. I was personally given immense opportunities by the company both in US and Internationally to grow and move around different business functions and locations. you need to PROVE your worth first before the honeytaps are opened up by decision makers. Compensation is average for the food industry but there is great deal of stability.

ConsDiversity is sorely lacking in the Organization. No clearly defined career path for above-average performers and thats frustrating.
     Also too soft and liberal in tackling the competition.

Advice to Senior ManagementCumbersome systems that require lot of time and efforts to make changes happen. More flexibility & entrepreneurial spirit is required. Innovation needs to be formally recognized and rewarded at all levels of the Organization.Need more latitude in taking risks and fast decisions.Transparency in making decisions is also needed...lot of time there appears to be no logic behind some decisions being made. We need hard-nosed , ruthless negotitators and leaders to survive the competition especially outside the US.

Eventful

Maintenance Mechanic (Current Employee)

Prosgreat pay for entry level employment.

Consgreat working environment for everybody

Great experience, love to grow employees

Intern (Former Employee) Umatilla, OR (US)

ProsGreat people to work for, help you understand every question you may have.

ConsManagement can sometimes be unstructured, no sure who takes priority.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to work once upon a time

Factory Worker (Former Employee) Moses Lake, WA (US)

ProsCompensation can be a plus

ConsIts not what it used to be and is not a good place to consider for a career any longer and after management changes it's only gotten worse. They don't care about people anymore since JR is gone and ethically, upper management knows no bounds if they decide it's your turn to go. Its turned into something that can be abusive and downright hostile and theres no longer anyone you can trust as a mentor.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a process for working with people. You might think you do, but you don't have anything comprehensive anymore.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

great people, company takes care of you

Office Coordinator (Current Employee) San Jose, CA (US)

Prosjob security, very good company to work for people are good well meaning people, very good benefits, pay is not the top but the benefits make it worth it

Consnot really a chance to move up, alot of control issues , people who have worked for this company a long time dont want to share the knowledge maybe they feel somone younger may take thier jobs.

Advice to Senior Managementgive the little ones a chance

Old Fashioned, Large, and Slow Moving

Environmental Engineering Intern (Current Employee) Boise, ID (US)

ProsOther employees were friendly, and the job payed decently well. I was given a high degree of independence in my work.

ConsWork was generally pretty dull, very slow moving environment made it feel like I made little impact. The cubicles and office space was pretty mundane and depressing. Very little interpersonal interaction in the job, difficult to get worthwhile feedback. Didn't feel particularly valued as an employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementModernize the work environment in order to foster more creativity and innovation in the workplace.

Great learning experience

IT Datacenter Operations (Former Employee) Boise, ID (US)

ProsCutting edge multi-billion dollar privately owned family company in a small town. Worked with many people who later moved on to high value companies around the world.

ConsBecause it is a private owned family company most people are not familiar with the company that produces the food millions of people eat every day.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo some commericals about the company. Think BASF commercials...we dont make things, we make the things that other people make things from...something like that.

I worked for J R Simpot for 5 years

Quality Assurance Auditor (Former Employee) Moses Lake, WA (US)

ProsI loved the job I had there.

ConsThey were good to woke for.

Advice to Senior ManagementKep employees happy

An excellent learning experience, nowhere to go

Associate Scientist (Former Employee) Boise, ID (US)

ProsSupportive direct manager, good pay for the area, exciting and meaningful work

ConsMid-level management was continuously difficult to work with, limited opportunity for career growth despite corporate policies encouraging it. Problem employees were well entrenched and held power over other's careers in a very unprofessional way.

Advice to Senior ManagementWatch your mid level managers more closely, give employees a safe avenue to report inappropriate behavior,

Injured on job after 3 years, took a year to get diagnosis, harassed and fired while injured

Systems Service Technician (Former Employee) Caldwell, ID (US)

ProsTo keep from starving to death.

ConsUnprofessional, filthy, favoritism, nepotism, poor advancement opportunities, racism, cronyism, high injury rates, harassed for reporting injuries, fired while on leave for work injury surgery, said that I had met a 3 strikes termination policy but couldn't produce records of my three work violations. Young healthy people were constantly getting pneumonia from filthy bacteria infested, black mold encrusted factory at a food plant!

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a soul.

Worked for JR Simplot? Contribute to the Community!