JDSU

JDSU Reviews

Updated Apr 11, 2014

JDSU President and CEO Thomas Waechter

Thomas Waechter

Pros:
  • "There is also good work life balance and in some groups you can work remotely for a few days a week"
    in 9 reviews
  • "great people, exciting work, a lot of committment from lower level management"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "Employees are overworked - no work/life balance"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Upper Management can't seem to get it together especially when dealing with the customers"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Mostly good products, mostly good people, terrible management

Engineering (Former Employee)

I worked at JDSU full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGet to play with new toys and technologies early and often. Opportunity to travel, see challenges around the world if you're so inclined. Compensation is at or above industry average.

ConsThe higher up the ladder you look, the worse the quality of the leadership. Constantly shifting management initiatives often in conflict with each other. Outsource and reduce travel cost. Grow emerging markets but design everythign from NA/EMEA requirements. Improve margins but stick with all the wrong contract manufacturers. R&D and marketing run like a global company but without sharing resources across divisions, so act like competitors, meaning little-no opportunity for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo private, issue debt, or divest CommTest.

JDSU: Leadership Still Stuck in First Gear

Corporate Marketing (Former Employee)
Milpitas, CA (US)

I worked at JDSU full-time for more than 8 years

ProsEmployee insurance benefits; some of the best available.
For the most part, talented, caring and hard working employees.

ConsCEO appears to have been sent from central casting in Hollywood, however, his personality and ability to lead and inspire the troops rivals that of a wet bag of cement. Additionally, HR leadership's focus on the employee engagement surveys (inflated scores does not equal employee satisfaction) must be something they are trying to impress the board of directors with.
Overall, the executive management team talks a good game and posture's as if they care about the employees, but in reality they are several levels (and millions of dollars in salary) removed from caring about the employees of JDSU. As a mid level manager, as a whole I usually found the executive staff to be aloof, pretentious and distant. At JDSU, the higher you rise in the organization does not necessarily translate to how nice a person you are; the politics and backstabbing only seems to get worse.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's not in executive and upper management's DNA, but for what it's worth, my advice would be to embody those Level 5 leadership qualities that you all supposedly follow and espouse. Sadly there's not a natural, authentic leader in any of them.

Quit the blaming

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Salem, VA (US)

I worked at JDSU full-time for more than 10 years

ProsAmazing group to work with (co-workers).

ConsManagement has no idea of the culture created.
"Age of accountability" has everyone scared of committing to a decision unless it's the "perfect" choice.

Advice to Senior ManagementMiddle mgmt - look at what your staff knows and stand up for them
Sr. Mgmt - get a clue. It appears there is no connection to the customer, only Wall Street.

Great people, too many management layers

I have been working at JDSU full-time for more than a year

ProsBright colleagues, flexible working, cool office, reasonable autonomy

ConsToo many layers of management, don't have a clue what is going on back at the floor so make decisions in isolation. Decision making really slow, with no value having to go thru. Work life balance not great. While flexible working it means you work long hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop making decisions which impact people doing the role without knowing what it really means. Can't keep relying on those left to pick up the pieces. Why so many directors, vp and svp and do they all need to be involved in every decision. Get your top management lean.

More with less

Germantown, MD (US)

I have been working at JDSU full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat first level manager. Wonderful coworkers who are all hard working & strive for success.

ConsNo growth for employees, do more with less. Poor work life balance. Everyone works very hard but each day is a battle due to an outsourced model that is still inefficient.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with respect. Understand what your employees do before letting them go & expecting the few that remain to clean up the mess. Put the customer first! You need them.

Good first job company but get out while you still can

Financial Analyst (Former Employee)
Milpitas, CA (US)

I worked at JDSU full-time for more than 5 years

ProsA lot of job opportunities to move around given high turn over rates. Can learn a lot here.

Good health insurance rates

ConsTop mgmt lacks of vision and company is full of incompetent people. Middle mgmt drives staff down to the ground as top mgmt is very demanding. If you are lousy, you are not held responsible. If you are a decent person, then you are fully burdened with all the work as Mgmt has unrealistic expectation

Advice to Senior ManagementBe realistic. What you are doing is driving capable people away.

Is a good company however the best assets for them are the investor not their professionals

Sales Engineer (Current Employee)
Miami, FL (US)

I have been working at JDSU full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood technology and products, good professionals

ConsJob stability. Competition is catching up. Disregard for people, use and dispose culture.

Advice to Senior Managementimprove the long term vision

Small company trying to look big

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Colorado Springs, CO (US)

I have been working at JDSU full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCommited to launching new products

ConsAbysmal management, poor working environment, hard pressure

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit

Lunched with a former subordinate, to see it the company was worth returning to

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at JDSU

ProsJDSU is the Goliath of the photonics telecommunincations device industry. It is too big to fail. If one has a vision, and the thick skin and determination to see it through, here are all the resources to make that vision live. This is the surest place, to launch another telco revolution, such as was brought on by the EDFA and the high-powered tunable laser source, and the fiber-to.-the-premises.

ConsJDSU made numerous acquisitions since the early 90's-2000's, which in turn were the amalgamation of numerous acquisitions, and has yet to integrate these disparate,graphically separate, units, each of which clings to its own original culture and origins. Unbelievably, more than 10 years later, the squabble over who (what site, or former acquisition) will do what, still lingers. In-fighting and political manoevering is left to settle the matter, rather than rational decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementRip -off the band-aid in the Telco part of your triad. Make rational personnel and business decisions and explain them high and low. Re-assign, hire, fire, re-align, whatever you call it. The organization carries too much history of turf wars (and charisma duels) that should have been laid to rest long ago, more than a decade ago.

Great place to work... challenging, but rewarding

I have been working at JDSU full-time for more than 10 years

ProsOpportunity to make a difference, JDSU makes an impact on the most important things in life

ConsDue to the markets we are in... there are often changes that occur quickly and with little notice, which makes planning difficult.

Worked for JDSU? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at JDSU reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for JDSU CEO Thomas Waechter. All 149 reviews are posted anonymously by JDSU employees.